Author Topic: 1/35 Waldschlepper RS 1500  (Read 667 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
1/35 Waldschlepper RS 1500
« on: April 11, 2024, 09:58:22 AM »
I'm going to try and build the post war Deutz Waldschlepper RS 1500, which was based on the RSO:

Using one of these kits, or mixing and matching. The Italeri kit is the late war diesel version (which is correct for the RS-1500) but it's a bit basic and has rubber tracks:

Italeri Magirus Steyr RSO/03towing PAK 40

The DML version comes with individual track links, full engine and both the metal cab and parts to make the late war RSO/03 cab.

RSO/01 Type 470

I found tires and wheels that should be similar to the RS-1500. I'm still trying to figure out how the return roller was mounted, but since this a real world whiff, they probably made changes that should be easy to do on the kits. The front axle will have to be scratchbuilt because I can't think of a suitable kit donor:

The spare RSO may turn into this:

or this:

Hacker Motormuli M80

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Re: 1/35 Waldschlepper RS 1500
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 04:59:37 PM »
Nice choice

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 06:25:07 PM »
Mmmmm interesting

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 11:53:54 PM »
I'm obsessed with the front axle; the tires (and possibly front wheels) look like they're from an Opel Blitz, but the axle is from some other vehicle, possibly a truck?

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2024, 12:41:12 AM »
Suggested cargo:

I'll be interested in how this conversion progresses.

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2024, 01:14:43 AM »
I'm obsessed with the front axle; the tires (and possibly front wheels) look like they're from an Opel Blitz, but the axle is from some other vehicle, possibly a truck?

Post if you figure that out and we'll check our spares box(es)

Also, if the Deutz Waldschlepper only has two roadwheels per side you can either stretch the spare build Fostbus or make a two wheeled tracked trailer.

Decisions, decisions.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 01:17:05 AM by Story »

Offline Story

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2024, 01:28:09 AM »
Reference that Fostbus project, I could see it being a tourist transport for some post-war ski resort hotel.*

How about this for a body? The 1/10 could be shrunk to whatever 1/35th length frame you wind up with.
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/art/vw-bus-21-window-1-10-rc-body

« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 01:30:28 AM by Story »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2024, 06:17:09 AM »
Post if you figure that out and we'll check our spares box(es)

Also, if the Deutz Waldschlepper only has two roadwheels per side you can either stretch the spare build Fostbus or make a two wheeled tracked trailer.
Decisions, decisions.
The creation of a companion trailer is definitely an excellent idea provided there is enough time and resources/patience to create that within the time allotted for the GB. 

@Frank - I have a bag of Opel tires/wheels if you need any for the Schlepper.   
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Story

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2024, 08:21:51 PM »

The creation of a companion trailer is definitely an excellent idea provided there is enough time and resources/patience to create that within the time allotted for the GB.   

Thanks. That is indeed a time-suck rabbit hole to tumble down.

The more I think about Frank's quandary for his second kit, the more I like the notion of a ski resort hotel 'bus'.

Weed hotel.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2024, 02:03:13 AM »
Perhaps a modern version. Not former military vehicles but you can imagine a converted HUMMV or truck.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2024, 10:22:42 AM »
The DML version is coming along; I haven't started on the Italeri conversion.

Top view with the front wheels tacked on. Looking at the pictures of the real vehicle, I think i made similar mods to the running gear:

Comparing it to the "naked" version of the RS 1500, I think it's pretty close. The front tires may be slightly too big:

Original has a diesel engine, mine has the older gas engine, but it's just there to hold things together. By the nagic of gluing on the cabin, it'll become a diesel engine.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2024, 11:05:06 AM »
Lookin' good !

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2024, 05:01:04 AM »
That is coming along quite well.  Did you have to shorten the frame?

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2024, 10:14:42 AM »
It's the original frame. They removed the housing cover and axle for the front return roller, but that's it. I added some styrene strips to recreate the original vehicles.

It's interesting seeing how they would have had to cut and arrange the road wheels and the return (teethed) roller. There aren't many good options.

I printed a version of the front axle on my FDM printer, but the quality just isn't there. I was tempted to fire up the resin printer, but I would have to add the heater (resin success rates increase exponentially when the resin is at around 78F-80F)
Instead, I scratch built it, using some spare parts from the FDM print.

The front wheels look like they're two leftover road wheels with a tire to match. The wheel I'm using is close enough.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2024, 12:54:14 AM »
Here's the front axle under construction:

vs real one:

The fluted wheel attachments are from two of the kit's road wheels.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2024, 07:15:05 AM »
I thought at first glance that the front axles were also driven but I was mistaken.  You have created a very good interpretation of the front axles and suspension and that alone is an accomplishment to be proud of. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2024, 11:26:07 AM »
Thanks Jeff. There are no springs that I can see for the front wheels, so it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2024, 11:38:54 AM »
I was trying to figure out the steering connecting rods. Must be part of it on the other side.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2024, 11:01:44 AM »
You got it right, Ken; the steering connection took a while to figure out. Here's what I ended up with (and it works!)

In the pictures of the front wheel suspension, you can just make out a rod and two U shaped linkages behind the main suspension arm. I found a part from a Trumpeter S-65 tractor with two U shaped links on the ends. The steering wheel pulls/pushes a bar, which  turns the wheel axle. The linkage in the back pushes the other wheel in the opposite direction:

Front view:

This has probably taken about half the time I've spent on this build so far. It works, looks roughly like the original setup and all the sins and omissions of my interpretation will be hidden under the front of the vehicle...

Offline Kerick

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2024, 01:28:08 PM »
Looks very good to me! This is going to turn out well.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2024, 08:12:59 PM »
Excellent styrene engineering!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 08:26:53 AM »
I'm done with this build. I'm going to leave it pristine, with only minor weathering.

Top view:

Side:

With our French mechanic friend, for scale:

On a field, somewhere:

Closeup of the rear winch. I had to guess some here, but I think it's a workable design. The only whiffy part is the date (obscured by the spare tire) - 2404:

Ouside:

Puzzled:

"Ich muss dieses Fahrzeug nach Bielefeld liefern, aber die Stadt ist nicht da!" (I have to deliver this vehicle to Bielefeld, but the city is not there!)

I'm a bit  shocked that other than some construction guesses and the date code, this is a pretty close approximation of the real thing.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:40:52 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 11:22:47 AM »
@Frank.  That "winch" at the rear is much more than just a winch.  It would also be used to power accessories by a belt drive.  Things like a saw mill for example.  A couple of my uncles back in northern Minnesota had tractors with similar rigs attached and I remember seeing them in operation with a large belt attached to the tractor and the machine that it was to provide power to through the belt drive.  Back in the day before OSHA and other agencies there were a lot of farm accidents caused by those belt drives and people getting snatched up in the belt or the belt breaking and flaying anyone in the vicinity. 

Excellent work as usual and it does look good even in the fresh out of the car wash appearance.  :smiley:

Offline Kerick

« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 12:32:29 PM »
@Frank.  That "winch" at the rear is much more than just a winch.  It would also be used to power accessories by a belt drive.  Things like a saw mill for example.  A couple of my uncles back in northern Minnesota had tractors with similar rigs attached and I remember seeing them in operation with a large belt attached to the tractor and the machine that it was to provide power to through the belt drive.  Back in the day before OSHA and other agencies there were a lot of farm accidents caused by those belt drives and people getting snatched up in the belt or the belt breaking and flaying anyone in the vicinity. 

Excellent work as usual and it does look good even in the fresh out of the car wash appearance.  :smiley:

Several of my uncles had tractors like that. Us kids were told to stay away!

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 08:30:54 PM »
Very well done.  I like this with the minimal weathering, fresh off the showroom floor!