Author Topic: AFV Club, Ding-Hao Models, and Hobby Fan  (Read 91179 times)

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
Re: AFV Club, Ding-Hao Models, and Hobby Fan
« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2018, 11:21:07 AM »
You could just scratchbuild the gun in 1/35 scale, as I did with my M111 SPAA Gun:

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #126 on: January 08, 2018, 10:34:48 PM »
You could just scratchbuild the gun in 1/35 scale, as I did with my M111 SPAA Gun:

That's pretty much what I was implying with "Otherwise, I could always try the 1/32 Fairchild A-10 Thunderbolt II - GAU-8 Avenger Gun Tip from Master Models, which scales out to about 32.8mm (but I'd still have to figure out barrels & a support structure)", using the 1/32 gun tip as a starting point for a slightly larger weapon (or just say it's 30mm - who'd really know the difference?).
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2018, 10:45:25 PM »
Anyone know if there's a PE/metal 1/35 GAU-8 barrel set available &, if so, where I can get one? ???

Guy,

Why not go with the T250 six-barrel 37 mm Gatling gun that was part of the T249 Vigilante Air Defense System?  This would be the ideal weapon system for shredding ground targets in 'War Hammer 40K' mode.   :smiley:

(Image source: Reddit.Com > War Thunder > T249 vigilante with an 37mm Gatling gun

The T250 was revisited and chambered in 35mm for the DIVADS program so it has potential.  Personally I would rather see a 57mm chain gun in the M60A2 turret just because.

Not really into armour but I had wondered if there was bigger rotary cannons than the GAU-8. Did they ever try a 40mm?

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2018, 10:48:03 PM »
 ;D As you were writing that, kintut617, I was writing this:

Personally I would rather see a 57mm chain gun in the M60A2 turret just because.

Don't want a chain gun for this, Jeff. Multi-barrel looks better. ;)

Why not go with the T250 six-barrel 37 mm Gatling gun that was part of the T249 Vigilante Air Defense System?  This would be the ideal weapon system for shredding ground targets in 'War Hammer 40K' mode.   :smiley:

The T250 was revisited and chambered in 35mm for the DIVADS program so it has potential.

Neither of those were put into production, so if I went that route why not buy 3 or 4 of these& create a 40mm 3-barrel or 4-barrel Gatling gun?

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/military-vehicles-tanks-gun-barrels-rb-models-rb-35b97?zenid=e09e8ca541e39b4203342f639bf913a6
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2018, 11:05:01 PM »
In response to your question, kitnut, the short answer is "No".

You've got;

M61 Vulcan 6-barrel 20mm
Gryazev-Shipunov GSh-6-23 - 6-barrel 23mm
GAU-8/A Avenger - 7-barrel 30mm
GAU-13/A - 4-barrel variant of GAU-8
Gryazev-Shipunov GSh-6-30 - 6-barrel 30mm
GAU-12/U Equalizer - 5-barrel 25mm
GAU-22/A - 4-barrel variant of GAU-12
T249 Vigilante - 37mm or 35mm variants

(Note: These are cannon only & the list doesn't include machine-gun calibred weapons like the mini-gun.)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2018, 11:54:36 PM »
Thanks Guy   :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #131 on: January 09, 2018, 12:41:08 AM »
I hate you, Jeff! ::)

I just ordered all 5 of those 40mm barrels available ... Now I have to buy a M60A2! :o

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #132 on: January 09, 2018, 03:07:02 AM »

I just ordered all 5 of those 40mm barrels available ... Now I have to buy a M60A2! :o

Nice one Jeff. ;D
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #133 on: January 09, 2018, 03:51:39 AM »

My work here is done :P

However, I must add that a completely fictitious 57mm Chain Gun is more appealing as there are few barrels required and the M60A2 turret seems built for that purpose with narrow frontal silhouette.  Elevation for your Gatling Gun weapon will be just as problematic due to the limited elevation and depression featured with the original weapon system (152mm gun/missile launcher).  There is a 40mm Chain Gun available but the ammunition for that weapon is a 'Telescoping Round' and not the same as the 40mm/L60 or 40mm/L70 Bofors.

For Robert/KitNut617: Largest calibre for Gatling Gun was as far as I can tell is the 37mm round that was developed from a 40mm Bofors cartridge by reducing length and caliber to 37mm.  Why reduce the size?  I would imagine a 40mm/L60 round would be just as effective as the 37mm round developed for the T250 37mm Gatling Gun/Cannon.   The only reason I can think of for reducing the caliber to 37mm may have been to weapons classification where weapons under a certain bore size are determined to be light weapons and not heavy weapons.  See this a lot when describing types of artillery so that may be the reason why.  Not that it really matters to the person being shot at as all guns are a threat, no matter what the bore size is. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #134 on: January 09, 2018, 04:46:36 AM »
Super for S.E.A. brown water navy.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #135 on: January 09, 2018, 05:21:45 AM »
The largest multi-barreled rotary cannon was the 47 mm Hotchkiss, if memory serves - but it was hand cranked, purely mechanical weapon. A bit more data here: https://www.forgottenweapons.com/manual-machine-guns/hotchkiss-revolving-cannon/

(Interesting revelation - Hotchkiss evidently made them as large as 53 mm according to the link. )

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2018, 05:43:39 AM »
Some scary looking offers:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #137 on: April 08, 2018, 06:01:58 PM »
Zombie Plow ??

both make a big vehicle look even bigger

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2018, 01:23:47 AM »
With the soon to be available LVT(H)-6 kit it would appear that by swapping out the turret with that of an M42 Duster you can also have an SPAAG version of the LVT(P)-5/LVT(H)-6.  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #139 on: April 09, 2018, 09:12:12 AM »

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #140 on: April 10, 2018, 01:58:08 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #141 on: April 10, 2018, 02:15:58 AM »
I'm now confused, is that a Russian tank or an American one

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #142 on: April 10, 2018, 08:41:42 AM »

American, the only image I could find was on Russian-Tanks.com

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #143 on: April 10, 2018, 08:48:55 AM »

Thanks Guy.  OK, so it's an amphibian but how is it powered in the water? The tracks don't seem to have paddles on the track links like on the Buffalo amphib'

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #144 on: April 10, 2018, 10:57:13 AM »
What are those circular plates that look like return rollers over the main wheels? Are they for cleaning mud off the wheels?

Offline Ifor

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #145 on: April 10, 2018, 12:38:20 PM »
It's an LVTP 5. In service in from 1950s onwards. Used by USMC and Philippine marines. The AD version was prototyped  only. I think they were used at the Danang landings. Ive got the afv Kit its a big one.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #146 on: April 10, 2018, 01:07:21 PM »

Thanks Guy.  OK, so it's an amphibian but how is it powered in the water? The tracks don't seem to have paddles on the track links like on the Buffalo amphib'

It's based on the LTV-5;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LVT-5

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar/US/LVTP-5.php

The vehicle tracks were made with inverted grousers which propelled the LVTP5 in the water and also served as center guide teeth.

From here: http://afvdb.50megs.com/usa/lvtp5.html

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2018, 01:56:23 AM »

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #148 on: April 19, 2018, 06:29:09 AM »
1/35 PBV 302 B/C:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2018, 09:26:19 AM »
Had to look that one up. Interesting, especially the engine location - don't often think of AFV's as "mid-engined" vehicles.