Author Topic: Prinz Eugen modernised post war  (Read 4220 times)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Prinz Eugen modernised post war
« on: September 29, 2013, 11:32:58 AM »
In real life Prinz Eugen was used as a target for nuclear weapons testing post war after being gifted to the USN.  What if, instead of being expended in such a manner the US used the ship as a test and trials platform before returning it to the new formed Bundesmarine  in 1956.  The ship had not been altered to much except for the removal of the aft pair of turrets to provide space for missile trials and much of the secondary and AA armament.

Assuming Germany wants to return this ship to service, perhaps with a new name, what sort of mods could we expect to see, Terrier and the associated radars and directors come to mind.

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
Re: Prinz Eugen modernised post war
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 11:49:05 AM »
A complete superstructure rebuild would come to mind as well as a full dual purpose secondary battery and modern fire control and electronics.  Also, I've heard that the Hippers were very badly cramped so so alleviation of that should be considered a must as well in my opinion.

That's about it off the top of my head.  What do you have in mind save for Terriers?
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 12:45:12 PM »
Well she was a trials platform upgraded and returned to service so maybe even 6"/47 DP Mk16 forward or maybe the UK Mk26, or a multiple 5" set up like on De Grasse but with US Mk42s.  It will come down to what I have in the parts bin if I happen to acquire a 1/700 Prinz Eugen at some point. 

Actually giving it some thought why not Talos instead of or in addition to Terrier, in a double ended set up.  A pair of Mk 42 on the foredeck forward of the missile launcher and another aft with Tartar mounted P&S midships and maybe a helicopter deck and hanger worked into the aft superstructure.  I would have liked to have retained the 8" but realistically these would have been useless given the time frame and the lack of maintenance.  Realistically it would have to be an in production type to replace them so 6" DP max, maybe the postulated US/UK 5"/70 in twin or single mounts, or most likely the Mk42.  Secondary would be US or UK 3"/70, US 3"/50 or Euro 57mm with the out side chance of French 100mm.  This was a big ship so lots of room for post war systems while still freeing up space by deleting the original separate secondary and AA armament.

I like the idea of modernising war built ships to get post war tech to sea while the ideal new designs were being perfected.  Quite a few of my conceptual wiffs are along these lines.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 01:08:23 PM »
Nothing particular to add, but interesting to read what you guys are writing and to contemplate.
Fine subject for a kitbash  :)

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 01:44:07 PM »
A complete superstructure rebuild would come to mind as well as a full dual purpose secondary battery and modern fire control and electronics.  Also, I've heard that the Hippers were very badly cramped so so alleviation of that should be considered a must as well in my opinion.

That's about it off the top of my head.  What do you have in mind save for Terriers?

A German Albany with more missiles or missiles and guns.....maybe a Dragon USS Albany spliced with a Prinz Eugen with some other bits and bobs acquired from the spares bin.  What to do with the spare Albany hull then......WWII RAN Super County......Just had another idea will need to start a new topic for it though.