Author Topic: 1/144 DC-3-3 from the Minicraft R4D-5  (Read 7469 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
1/144 DC-3-3 from the Minicraft R4D-5
« on: March 03, 2012, 11:57:06 PM »
Revently Jeffry Fontaine sent me a cool little 1/144 Minicraft R4D-5 (U.S. Navy DC-3):

These kits are a blast and I've built a few in the past. One I turned into a jet-liner:

Another one I finished in Pennsylvania Railroad livery:

I even used the skis left over from one of these kits on my recent GB entry.

For this project, I'm swapping out the engines for some from a B-29 and adding the cowling from a 1/144 Shoki:

Just now, I made some cuts to the nose and I'm getting ready to do a little painting.

Brian da Basher

Sentinel Chicken

Re: 1/144 DC-3-3 from the Minicraft R4D-5
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 01:02:58 AM »
Reno Unlimited Racing Class DC-3?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 03:30:57 AM »
The "super" DC-3/R4D/C-47/Dakota :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline tc2324

• Just slightly on the edge of madness......!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 09:37:55 PM »
DC-3 with jets.....  :-*

Wonder what it would look like in 1/72... ???
Whiffing is for Life...., not just for Christmas!!!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 06:02:55 AM »
This week's been nuts, but I was finally able to get more work done last night. I decided the prop spinners made this bird look too nose-heavy. Since I was lacking a spare 1/144 3-bladed matching prop and a search through the parts stash came up empty, my only option was to pull the blades off the spinnered prop and cobble something together:

Now all this baby needs is decals. Here's some shots before I get the livery on:

More to come!

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 06:05:20 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 06:24:05 AM »
That looks familiar...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline sotoolslinger

• A World Champion Blackbelt in Putty-Foo…the man means business (just look at his photo!)
  • Look at the banner and you will see his work.
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 06:56:36 AM »
MMMMMMM tri motors are the coolest 8) :-*

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 06:58:07 AM »
That looks familiar...

You know, it's been reminding me of something too and I think it's a Fiat G.12:

Oh well, at least mine will be in unique markings for a G.12. The backstory might be worth a look too.

Brian da Basher

Offline sotoolslinger

• A World Champion Blackbelt in Putty-Foo…the man means business (just look at his photo!)
  • Look at the banner and you will see his work.
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 07:02:07 AM »
Oh  ;D can't wait for the backstory :-* :icon_fsm:

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 07:04:13 AM »
Oh  ;D can't wait for the backstory :-* :icon_fsm:

All I can say about the backstory at this point is that it involves triplets...

Brian da Basher

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 11:17:45 PM »
Almost forgotten in aviation history is the story of the Douglas triplets, Darrel, Dewey & Darrel. Because of their skill at tiddlywinks, they were known as the "triple threat". Dewey would introduce himself and his two brothers by saying "I'm Dewey and here's my brother Darrel and my other brother Darrel."

Donald Douglas, like many business owners during the Great Depression, had to hire on relatives. His half-brothers Darrel, Dewey & Darrel began work at Douglas Aircraft in the Purchasing Dept. which seemed a perfect fit as Purchasing loved three carbons and forms in triplicate.

Unfortunately, not long after the launch of the wildly successful DC-3, a major error was made when instead of ordering engines in pairs for the new DC-3, they were ordered in threes:

The manufacturer wouldn't allow Douglas Aircraft to return the extra engines and since there wasn't enough space to store them, a solution had to be found and fast.

The Douglas Triplets sprang into action and re-designed the DC-3 as a tri-motor which they called the DC-3-3. Donald Douglas was impressed because he could charge 1/3 more for the new plane due to the extra engine. It was hoped sales would be brisk.

Allegheny Airlines was the first to place an order for the DC-3-3 thinking it would be ideal for flying routes to some of their high-altitude destinations such as Mountain Top, Pennsylvania. Douglas wasted no time in getting the DC-3-3 in Allegheny Airlines livery.

Continued...

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 11:56:28 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 11:33:17 PM »
Darrel, Dewey & Darrel tried hard to sell the new DC-3-3 but unfortunately, demonstrations of their tiddlywink skills did little to impress potential customers. Alllegheny Airlines ordered more for their Braddock to Kinzua run but other buyers were scarce.

When Donald Douglas found out what this adventure cost his company, he almost fired Darrel, Dewey & Darrel on the spot. Fortunately, W.W. II intervened and the triplets' jobs were saved as they were masters cutting through government red tape.

Darrel, Dewey & Darrel had mostly quiet careers at Douglas after that. They had two more innovative ideas, a three-ply lavatory seat protector (not adopted) and three-abreast seating in the DC-8 which was wildly successful and allowed them to retire in 1966 after 33 years of service.

When Darrel, Dewey & Darrel passed away on March 3, 2003 (at 3:01, 3:02 and 3:03 respectively), their DC-3-3 had been long forgotten save for three desk models found in their basements.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 11:59:11 PM by Brian da Basher »

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 11:36:24 PM »
OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 03:32:07 AM »
Brilliant!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 03:34:16 AM »
That looks familiar...

You know, it's been reminding me of something too and I think it's a Fiat G.12:

Oh well, at least mine will be in unique markings for a G.12. The backstory might be worth a look too.

Brian da Basher

This was the one I referred to:  My Hump Buster in the Douglas DC-3 thread: