Author Topic: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's  (Read 134250 times)

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's
« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2020, 06:25:43 AM »
@Ramba - you certainly have your work cut out for you on that S-Tank.  Such a small area to work with around the top of the vehicle with the crew hatches being in the way of progress.  I often wondered what an S-Tank would look like with a larger weapon installed.  Perhaps something like the 152mm gun/missile launcher from the Sheridan/M60A2/MBT-70/XM803?  Turn it in to an ambush weapon with a very heavy punch.  Still like the idea of losing the main gun though and putting some kind of sensor/weapon system on top if space can be found for it.  :smiley:

*** a size comparison with the HMMWV might also be in order to get an idea of just how small the S-Tank really is.

One of my other ideas was to do it as some sort of police vehicle with a battering ram. I was going to use the 105mm main gun barrel and put a plate on the front of it similar to the ones on the V-100. I think I am just going to do it as some sort of light fighting vehicle. I really like the .50cal RWS on it. Gives it a meaner look.

Here is a size comparison with the Tamiya 1/35 HMMWV.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2020, 04:35:46 AM »
Small update on the Strv 103C. Filled in the hole where the 105mm main gun was and another section of the upper hull.

After filling and sanding those two areas I worked on assembling the upper hull. I still need to add the tools and a few other things here and there.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2020, 04:43:09 AM »
Good work on the void filling effort on the front glacis.  I had thought that would have been a good position for some kind of elevating/telescoping arm contraption with a sensor head on top to perform observation from behind cover.  Still looks good regardless and no more worrying about a gun barrel getting in the way, eh?
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Ramba

« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2020, 11:00:23 AM »
Good work on the void filling effort on the front glacis.  I had thought that would have been a good position for some kind of elevating/telescoping arm contraption with a sensor head on top to perform observation from behind cover.  Still looks good regardless and no more worrying about a gun barrel getting in the way, eh?

Thank you!

Here is the internal layout. Not much can fit on the glacis as it would probably block the driver's right view and the commander's left view if you placed an arm through the center to hang over the glacis.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2020, 11:02:42 AM »
Got the side armor together but is only dry fitted on the hull for now. The side armor, wheels and tracks will go on last for easier painting.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2020, 01:10:24 PM »
The illustration certainly does give you a lot better idea of how long that gun barrel is and how much space the main gun takes up inside.  Definitely no room for any thing on the front glacis plate without obscuring the view for all inside. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2020, 02:15:13 PM »
Good ol' diesel armour! ;)

Nice work! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2020, 05:48:43 AM »
This is all too cool! One suggestion is to continue the shell 'brake' strips over the former main gun location.

Your RWS puts me in mind of the 20 mm automatkanon m/45B AA turret mounted above the commander's cupola on the Strv S1 prototype. AFAIK, the final drive on that first prototype was electric. That anticipates the SEP-T test vehicle of 30+ years late ... and raises an interesting possibility.

What if your recce S-tank was a diesel-electric hybrid? Ditch the thirsty Boeing turbine and anemic R-R multi-fuel for paired Volvo or Scania diesels powering electric drive  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Ramba

« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2020, 10:29:58 AM »
The illustration certainly does give you a lot better idea of how long that gun barrel is and how much space the main gun takes up inside.  Definitely no room for any thing on the front glacis plate without obscuring the view for all inside.

I do have this set from Live Resin I was thinking of using if I decided to do it as a recon vehicle. It can only fit on the upper hull where the white square is shown in the second image. I prefer to have the RWS on it though as I wanted it to be armed so I decided not to do it as a recon vehicle anymore. It will be a light fighting vehicle now.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2020, 10:35:10 AM »
This is all too cool! One suggestion is to continue the shell 'brake' strips over the former main gun location.

Your RWS puts me in mind of the 20 mm automatkanon m/45B AA turret mounted above the commander's cupola on the Strv S1 prototype. AFAIK, the final drive on that first prototype was electric. That anticipates the SEP-T test vehicle of 30+ years late ... and raises an interesting possibility.

What if your recce S-tank was a diesel-electric hybrid? Ditch the thirsty Boeing turbine and anemic R-R multi-fuel for paired Volvo or Scania diesels powering electric drive  :smiley:

Thanks!

I was trying to fit a 20mm or 25mm gun on the RWS instead of the .50cal but I didn't have anything in my stash. I was thinking maybe the Bushmaster could fit from the Italeri anti aircraft weapons set but I don't have the Italeri set so I just settled for the Live Resin .50cal. I think that the .50cal looks good enough.

I am not going to bother running the strips across the glacis. I don't have any plastic strips the correct size and I don't have the proper tools to cut the correct sized strips evenly.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2020, 11:54:54 AM »
Thanks!

I was trying to fit a 20mm or 25mm gun on the RWS instead of the .50cal but I didn't have anything in my stash. I was thinking maybe the Bushmaster could fit from the Italeri anti aircraft weapons set but I don't have the Italeri set so I just settled for the Live Resin .50cal. I think that the .50cal looks good enough.

I am not going to bother running the strips across the glacis. I don't have any plastic strips the correct size and I don't have the proper tools to cut the correct sized strips evenly.

You are not missing anything with the blob of plastic that Italeri is claiming to be a 25mm "Bushmaster" Chain Gun from that weapons set.  It is a horrible representation of a chain gun weapon, it has more in common with a Browning M2 than a chain gun.  The only thing on that so-called chain gun that comes close to being representative of the chain gun is the muzzle brake aside from that one feature the rest is just garbage.  Even the linked belt of 25mm ammunition is suspect.   

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2020, 11:56:42 AM »
That live resin reconnaissance sensor mast looks nice, a shame you can not cobble together a folding mechanism to mount it at the rear of the vehicle where it would be out of the way but on the tallest part of the hull. 

Offline Ramba

« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2020, 09:03:13 PM »
That live resin reconnaissance sensor mast looks nice, a shame you can not cobble together a folding mechanism to mount it at the rear of the vehicle where it would be out of the way but on the tallest part of the hull.

You and GTX Admin convinced me to use the Live Resin Fara VR rangefinder and GLONASS module to do a recon vehicle. I didn't use the Strv 103C though, I changed the PTL-02 to the recon vehicle.

Here is what it looks like so far. The sheet plastic was laid over the top to cover the big turret ring. The Live Resin parts are only dry fitted for now. They are laid out as shown in the Live Resin image. Some parts missing from my photo aren't attached yet. I will use the two antennas but probably not the SOVA acoustics system.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2020, 01:51:46 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2020, 01:10:01 AM »
Test fitting the weapons to the Strv-103C.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2020, 01:41:44 AM »
Leave the tracks etc off and make it a hover tank... ;)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2020, 02:25:52 AM »
Looking Good!  Very impressive with the RWS mounted.  I take there were no options to incorporate the RWS into the vehicle commanders cupola? 

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2020, 05:48:41 PM »

The Strv-103 would make an excellent hovertank! ;)

Meanwhile, I'm really liking how this one's coming along! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #118 on: December 23, 2020, 11:09:18 PM »

It would look cool as a hover tank but I don't  have a sci fi setting/diorama to put a hover tank. It will be a modified SLEP version in the not too distant future.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #119 on: December 23, 2020, 11:11:28 PM »
Looking Good!  Very impressive with the RWS mounted.  I take there were no options to incorporate the RWS into the vehicle commanders cupola?

Thanks! I originally thought of placing the RWS on the commander's cupola but I wanted the secondary manned weapon. It's not too late to move the RWS because the weapons are only dry fitted but I really like the way it looks now.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #120 on: December 23, 2020, 11:13:35 PM »

The Strv-103 would make an excellent hovertank! ;)

Meanwhile, I'm really liking how this one's coming along! :smiley:

Thanks! A hover tank would look cool but I don't have any futuristic, sci fi dioramas and I am not that good at scratch building an entire scene like that. It will just be a modified SLEP version in the not too distant future.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #121 on: December 23, 2020, 11:18:59 PM »
Moving along with the Live Resin Secutor on the Trumpeter JGSDF Type 82 vehicle. Just dry fitted for now to get an idea of how it will look mounted.

Figure posed with it for size comparison.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #122 on: December 24, 2020, 01:51:23 AM »
Looking good

Offline Ramba

« Reply #123 on: December 31, 2020, 11:45:54 PM »

Offline Ramba

« Reply #124 on: December 31, 2020, 11:47:31 PM »
Here are the two Trumpeter JGSDF vehicles posed together.