Author Topic: 8x8 and more...  (Read 59522 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: 8x8 and more...
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2020, 04:10:54 PM »
Jordanian superstructure on a Czech chassis with a British turret, mounting a Ukrainian cannon ...

Why not just call it the "الأمم المتحدة" (al'Umam Almutahida = United Nations)?
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2021, 06:29:05 PM »
Patria AMV (Armored Modular Vehicle) was briefly mentioned before.

"The Patria AMV (Armored Modular Vehicle) is an 8×8 multi-role military vehicle produced by the Finnish defence industry company Patria."
Patria Nemo 120mm Mortar System, mounted on Patria AMV, Fire On the Move:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO2m2Pu5eOA

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2021, 07:27:08 AM »
Apparently the CM-32 + surplus GDLS low-profile turret is actually going to be pitched to the ROCA such that AFV Club of all companies is offering to custom-build the model on the side (with camouflage and display case; probably for customers in Taiwan only).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 07:30:22 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2021, 01:30:38 AM »
DefTech AV8 Gempita:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2021, 05:28:23 PM »
Apparently the CM-32 + surplus GDLS low-profile turret is actually going to be pitched to the ROCA such that AFV Club of all companies is offering to custom-build the model on the side (with camouflage and display case; probably for customers in Taiwan only).

Just a side note from the observation of this neat model ....is it the vehicle commander or the gunner's copula that has the M2 HMG here?
Because who ever it is, it appears their firing arch to port is no existent or is it the angle of the photo??🤔

MAD

Offline dy031101

« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2021, 02:26:55 AM »
Just a side note from the observation of this neat model ....is it the vehicle commander or the gunner's copula that has the M2 HMG here?

Vehicle commander's.

Because who ever it is, it appears their firing arch to port is no existent or is it the angle of the photo??🤔

Firing arc to the left is rather restricted, yes.  It's basically a self-propelled gun, so the idea is probably that the MGS will always have friendly infantry in attendance and that the commander's machinegun is only there as an afterthought.

=========================================================

The CM-32 is bigger than the Stryker (because air portability is not part of the considerations), has air conditioning as designed, and is already finalized unlike the M2 prototype (which, or a further developtment of which, the definitive MGS for the ROC military is to be based on) and therefore to be pitched as an interim MGS basis.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 05:09:13 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline dy031101

« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2021, 04:49:40 AM »
The Clouded Leopard M2, still under development but with improved mobility and a more-efficient ballistic protection scheme.  This will form the basis of weapon carrier variants within the Clouded Leopard family of AFVs.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 05:11:04 AM by dy031101 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2021, 01:03:49 AM »
Interesting to note that the entire rear can be uncovered.

Offline dy031101

« Reply #108 on: August 24, 2021, 01:23:18 AM »
Interesting to note that the entire rear can be uncovered.

That top hatch is specific to the mortar carrier variant and meant to stay out of the mortar's firing arc at all time when the mortar is being used.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #109 on: September 12, 2021, 01:05:03 AM »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2021, 05:01:23 AM »
What if an 8 wheels Scorpion?

Little exmple. :smiley:

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2021, 11:35:21 AM »
Neat idea, ysi! That inspires me to try my own crack at the concept.

I chose a smaller chassis, the YP-408, from closer to the time period of the CVR(T) family and scaled the turret to match, including a turret ring extension that considers the angled upper hull.

This would be a Dutch variant in place of the M113 C&V (also known as the Lynx or M113 ½). It would increase commonality with the Belgian and British armies and provide greater speed, strategic mobility, and firepower, albeit at the cost of greater size.

Also, I chose the Scimitar turret which I think is better fit and much better looking, but the Scorpion is still an option, too.

I'm calling it the YP-408 Pantserwiel Verkenning, abbreviated as YP-408 PWVK. I don't know about anybody else, but I like the looks of it more than the Bundeswehr's Spähpanzer Luchs of the same era.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2021, 03:26:40 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #113 on: September 15, 2021, 03:43:47 AM »
I'm liking your YP-408 Pantserwiel Verkenning, Logan  :smiley:

I've often wondered how difficult it would have been to get power to the second set of front wheels. I realize that having those wheels mounted so close to the transfe box makes it difficult. Maybe shaft running forward to the front pair, then[/i] dogleg back to the second set of wheels?

If anyone wants more on the RW YP-408, check out https://www.dafyp408.nl/
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline dy031101

« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2022, 01:21:31 PM »
Ah huh, a simple option would be an export module with the M-3 Bradley turret including TOW, although I think a 60mm HVMS turret would look cool.

Would the Hitfist be easier to install?

(Okay okay, I was going to look at the LAV-30 TOW first- I'm a bit biased against the 25mm in Current Year  :P - but I do not possess any drawing for it to make up for my poor guesstimation ability......)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 01:58:20 PM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2024, 03:29:41 PM »
So the MGS version of the Clouded Leopard M2 is finally unveiled.

The size of this thing reminds me of the South African Bismarck 8×8, more of a wheeled light tank than a self-propelled gun.

EDIT: The explanation given for the size is that the hull is still based on that of the CM32 despite the new chassis (which has steering on the first, second, and last pair of wheels compared to only the first two pairs on 1st Gen. Clouded Leopard).  Its turret still looks larger than its contemporaries though.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 01:51:09 AM by dy031101 »

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #116 on: February 28, 2024, 07:40:28 PM »

The size of this thing reminds me of the South African Bismarck 8×8, more of a wheeled light tank than a self-propelled gun.

I wonder what recoil is like for the gunner.  The 76mm Ratel simulator was like being an amusement park ride, which would make quick followup shots problematic.  :o

Offline Story

« Reply #117 on: February 29, 2024, 09:23:06 PM »
You've heard of SpahPanzer - meet KlugePanzer.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2024, 01:26:31 AM »
Recent photos from Singapore:

Note the drone box:

CFBVs

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2024, 07:46:23 AM »
Today's question to ponder on: Are IFV's getting too large? ???
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2024, 11:21:10 AM »

Glance at LAV 6 ... answer: Yup!  I like these quick-to-ponder questions  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2024, 08:54:02 AM »
They're not quite at the current generation of "medium" tank weight, but they are closing in. And so are the costs.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #122 on: March 06, 2024, 02:58:20 AM »

What makes you think that…? ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2024, 02:29:49 PM »
Just this vague feeling I have. ;)

Offline Story

« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2024, 06:13:07 AM »
True story