Author Topic: Small Brown Dog Artwork and related  (Read 109702 times)

Offline Small brown dog

• Dwelling too long on the practicalities of such things can drive you mad.
  • Yappity woof grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Re: Small Brown Dog Artwork and related
« Reply #450 on: July 11, 2022, 04:52:12 AM »
6th September 1952
Seconds from disaster.

None of this will be new to you guys but  ... what the hell.
I'm still having trouble coming up with Dieselpunk an alt universe stuff but I'm having fun with real history :)

The de Havilland DH110 was a prototype all weather interceptor intended for use by the Fleet Air Arm, a role it later fulfilled better known as the Sea Vixen.  There was however a tragic episode in the development of the aircraft that took place on Saturday the  6th September 1952 at the Farnborough SBAC air show.

The first prototype, WG236, took to the air on 26th September 1951 and was followed by the second prototype, WG240 which was chosen for display at the Farnborough air show in September 1952.

WG240 was quite a head turner in her all black scheme and her daily routine of  breaking the sound barrier from a shallow dive  was much talked about. Sonic booms were a feature of those famous early 1950’s shows and no doubt looked forward to by the spectators that would attend the public days.  WG240 did delight the crowds on Friday but unfortunately on Saturday she became unserviceable.

Test Pilot John Derry along with flight test observer Anthony Richards, flew to de Havilland’s Hatfield factory to collect WG236 and arrived back at Farnborough and started their display at around 3:45.pm.

WG236 arrived over Farnborough from a shallow dive from 40.000ft appearing overhead at an estimated 1000 – 1500ft complete with sonic boom.  She flew out of site to turn and line up for a low pass over the main runway at high speed banking left and flying the circuit bringing her back over the boundary at around 400ft.

Again she banked left towards the spectators and in the same instant as she began to climb she disintegrated. The outer wing sections and the cockpit separated from the airframe. The cockpit section, still occupied by Derry and Richards, fell right in front of the spectators nearest the runway and injured several.

Both engines detached from the airframe, one of which fell harmlessly while the other ploughed into the spectators standing on observation hill. The main airframe fluttered down like a leaf on the opposite side of the runway.

In total there we 31 deaths including the crew and 63 injured.

The cause of the crash was structural failure and there are several places on the internet where you can find out more about it, the resulting crash and the aftermath.

John Derry was a seasoned test pilot and decorated ex RAF pilot having flown Typhoons during WW2. He, along with many of the test pilots of that time, were household names. Another one of which at Farnborough that day, Neville Duke, took up the prototype Hawker Hunter and broke the sound barrier once the runway had been cleared.

We live in different times.

Its not that its not real but it could be that its not true.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #451 on: July 12, 2022, 01:26:02 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #452 on: July 12, 2022, 10:19:58 AM »
Very nicely rendered  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #453 on: July 17, 2022, 05:46:06 PM »
WG240

Second prototype DH110 WG240 in her all black Farnborough 1952 air show livery.
Somewhere over the Solent preparing to enter a shallow dive that would bring her over the Farnborough runway at the speed of sound.
She delighted the crowds with her looks and sonic booms but was grounded on Saturday 6th September owing to a critical fault. Her pilot, John Derry along with flight test observer Anthony Richards, lost their lives along with 29 spectators the same day after collecting the first Prototype, WG236, and flying her instead of WG240 at the show.

One visit to the to the  DH Museum, a couple of books on G. de Haviland and John Derry and I think I have that out of my system now :)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #454 on: July 18, 2022, 05:11:51 AM »
Ooh-ah!  :smiley:

I know that the early DH.110s proved a disaster but WG240 just looks so right!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #455 on: July 19, 2022, 12:48:59 AM »
An operational one in Gloster Javelin style scheme would look cool:

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #456 on: July 20, 2022, 03:31:40 AM »
An operational one in Gloster Javelin style scheme would look cool:

Well it intrigued me too so I have knocked up a rough.
No refinement or photo bashing onto a decent background but it does the trick.

The model is still pre show disaster as WG240 was modified as can be imagined and did not return to flight for two years by which time the RAF had got all horny over the Javelin so they dropped the DH. However, the RN had taken a fancy to it it and , well, the rest is history as they say.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #457 on: July 20, 2022, 03:32:30 AM »

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #458 on: August 30, 2022, 11:48:42 PM »
Junk Racer

The second great wave of space exploration left behind several “jump off” planets that had once been the new frontier but now had very much reduced populations as everyone wanted to sample the newer worlds. All that remained on some of the old frontier moons and planets were ship yards, engineering technical centres and maintenance units.  Alongside these organisations there were some thriving communities as there was money to be made and quite a lot of it involved scrap and refurbishment. 

No matter where you are in the universe, if there are people into engines then there are people building home brews and risking everything at race meetings once a month. It’s a need for speed and you either get it or you don’t. If you do you probably love to tinker as well and so if your world is largely made up of obsolete and broken tech designed to allow a body to move very quickly then you are going to have some fun building your very own junk racer.

It’s a thing that has a history that goes directly back to the Hot Rods way back when on Earth and of course within the genre there are sub genres, one of which is shock riding. By the late 22nd century shock riding is very popular and  a great deal of moneny can be made if you survive the ride.

Lets face it, going fast is great. Making a hell of a noise is great too but doing them both at the same time is awesome. So, the aim of the shock rider is to create a sonic boom and ride with it over a set course. Now you might think that’s going to be easy in the late 22nd century but, like now, there are rules and in the main these are overseen by the Private Atmosphere and Vacuum vehicle administration.

The PAVVA bill was a much needed piece of legislation introduced to control the use of high energy thrust technology and associated hardware along with a whole host of tech deemed unsuitable for private use.

Some examples:
Atmosphere rated Ion thrusters are OK, Helium-3 reactors in an EMFEM containment field are not.   Reaction field and Field envelopment tech OK,  Parallel Space Transit Compression Field Generators – absolutely not.

The average junk racer, as pictured above, consists of a surface rated energy/EMFEM generator and slave unit with T coil power conditioning.  This will give you sufficient power for front and rear reaction field generators to keep you off the ground, manoeuvre, keep you stable and stop ... eventually.

The remaining power output is used for Ionic thrust and that all important field envelopment that will help you glide through the air like a hot knife through butter. To keep all the above functioning as it should, system monitoring hardware such as the Teranavia SYSMON 200 range is used. Some Junk jockeys run without field envelopment as they love building old school aerodynamic vehicles. Most of these guys have letters after their names, mostly R.I.P. 

Finally, by law, you will need a means of escape in the event of the vehicle becoming uncontrollable. Most Junk racers have separating cockpits that make use of exploding bolt separation and low altitude thrusters and parachute.  A helmet is recommended.

There are of course many rules and regulations governing all race meetings which is beyond the scope of this article but of course there are some creative interpretations made that make life interesting.

Shock riding: if you’re gonna go then go with a bang!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #459 on: August 31, 2022, 01:01:40 AM »
Oh, yeah! That's just cool! 8)

Would love a few more images from different angles! :-*

Other side, perhaps? Top? High quarter view, even? ???
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #460 on: August 31, 2022, 02:05:07 AM »

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #461 on: August 31, 2022, 05:44:37 PM »

Would love a few more images from different angles! :-*

Other side, perhaps? Top? High quarter view, even? ???

I don't have much rendered in different angles but there are some work in prog images to have a look at including a really early rough where I was going to use a bang seat and roll cage type thing. During the heat wave we hade here I got to thinking about going back to biking as I do every year when the sun shines. I got it out of my system with this model :)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #462 on: August 31, 2022, 05:47:27 PM »
Terrific shape.

Really like this one

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #463 on: August 31, 2022, 11:17:09 PM »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #464 on: September 03, 2022, 08:15:41 AM »
That's pretty cool! 8)
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #465 on: September 03, 2022, 12:56:31 PM »
I might feel a bit vulnerable skimming the ground on something like this at supersonic speeds, envelopment field or not.

Where's the escape system on the finished one?

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #466 on: September 03, 2022, 05:34:07 PM »
I might feel a bit vulnerable skimming the ground on something like this at supersonic speeds....

You would make a great junk jockey if you are only going to feel "a bit vulnerable"  :smiley:
The escape system on this version is a bit tricky thats for sure and I'm still working on it although I must admit that all the current ideas result in life changing injuries  :(

Offline perttime

« Reply #467 on: September 03, 2022, 05:42:14 PM »
 ;D

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #468 on: March 14, 2023, 05:29:03 PM »
HP42 "HANNO"

Been out of the picture for the last few months due to illness and loss of someone very special. Still no imaganitive mojo operating yet but I had started this HP42 and thought I should finish it.

A favourite of mine from long ago when, as a kid, I was holding the Airfix kit box and marveling at the Roy Cross art work. The HP42 has always held a special place for me with its sort of hybrid or missing link looks, a bit like something made up of what had been and what was coming.

G-AAUD, production number 42/3, was named after the Carthaginian explorer "Hanno" the Navigator, who explored the Atlantic coast of Africa in approx. 570 BC. Hanno first flew on 19 July 1931 and was later converted to a H.P.42(W) (Hannibal class). The aircraft was impressed into No. 271 Squadron RAF and was destroyed in a gale at Whitchurch Airport, Bristol when it was blown together with Heracles and damaged beyond repair on 19 March 1940.

The HP42 has been described in some places as the Concorde of its day but with a cruising speed of just 90 - 100MPH depending on the head winds, it perhaps falls short of such a comparison. I think it has a magnificence if not majesty all of its own and is an icon of the golden age of aviation.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #469 on: March 14, 2023, 09:13:12 PM »
Really nice work on "Hanno", Mr SBD! 8) :smiley:

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #470 on: March 14, 2023, 10:30:16 PM »
Those are interesting points about HP42.   One thing about model building is it sometimes introduces me to aircraft I was not aware of.   Airfix HP42 kit is one such aircraft.
Do like HP42 as is though kit-bashed it into Slowy Jet.   Worlds slowest combat jet.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #471 on: March 15, 2023, 01:49:24 AM »
 :smiley:  Ah, the Golden Era!

Offline apophenia

« Reply #472 on: March 19, 2023, 08:28:01 AM »
SBD: Sorry for your loss. Hope with a return to health comes that illusive mojo ...

A favourite of mine from long ago ...

Mine too!  :D  And you've done a lovely job on her. That first image of Hanno over Giza is especially evocative  :smiley: :smiley:

Offline perttime

« Reply #473 on: March 19, 2023, 03:00:16 PM »
The H.P.42 is a cool design, although I mainly see it as a representative of a time when people where still going where "no white man has gone before".

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #474 on: March 29, 2023, 05:18:14 PM »
THUNDERBIRD 2

Still fininshing some WIP and I have to feed my Thunderbird fetish every now and again so ...

« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 05:21:29 PM by Small brown dog »