Author Topic: Beginning with a Bush War Blitz  (Read 5053 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Beginning with a Bush War Blitz
« on: August 01, 2019, 10:06:20 PM »
Well I ended up with a little spare time so no time like the present to kick off the Out of Africa GB with a Bush War Blitz.

My victim:

Isn't that some great box art? Makes you feel like you're right there in the thick of it, don't it?

I hope I don't end up in the thick of it because I've never built this kit before. Still, it's a lot like the Heller version and I mean, it's a Mustang, how hard can it be?

As an official Old, I'm going to use the old guy option and try to do this over today & tomorrow in two 12 hour sessions if needed.

I'd better get more coffee...

Ready, steady, GO!

Brian da Basher

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Beginning with a Bush War Blitz
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 11:37:55 PM »
Ugh goofed right out of the gate...

I drilled the hole for the stand off-center so I had to stick in a plug to fix it.

Time for a snack while it dries.

I might even figure out the color scheme in the meanwhile.

Brian da Basher

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 01:10:32 AM »
It's One o'clock and I have plane:

I think I've sorted out the color scheme and a small load-out, but after all this, I'm starting to lag. Time for a pick-me-up.

More updates to follow...

Brian da Basher

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 02:25:34 AM »
I got the fin fillet on, the prop assembled and part of the load-out together.

I also painted the exhausts in Model Masters Jet Exhaust. I should be able to cut in the rest of the upper color around it.

Time for a snack while all this sets.

I think some paint will be next. Stay tuned.

Brian da Basher

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 03:17:34 AM »
Time for another update. The prop is painted and the first part of the load-out is on.

Gotta run, the PM is making an important statement.

More to follow...

Brian da Basher

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 03:51:26 AM »
I got the first color on top and it's darker than I expected:

I went with Model Masters Tan but I think I'm going to over-paint it with Sand instead.

Oh well could be worse. At least it's not as serious as the European situation.

Updates as they happen,

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 03:55:15 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 04:34:43 AM »
Wing tip ttanks = 1000% improvement for this bush war beauty.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 05:03:44 AM »
I'm glad you like the tip tanks, Mr Fontaine. The rest of the load-out is on.

I got that Tan covered with Sand and Duck Egg Blue is now drying on the bottom.

Time to catch up on News from the Home Service.

Brian da Basher

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 07:59:23 AM »
I got the under side painted in Duck Egg Blue and now it's dry enough for a picture:

With luck, I'll be able to get the second color on top before calling it a day.

More tomorrow,

Brian da Basher

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 08:05:25 PM »
After a healthy breakfast

it was back to the blitz.

Last night I got the second color on top (a custom faded OD mix) and this morning I glued the canopy on.

It still needs a few touch-ups but once I get those & the canopy framing done, it should go quickly.

The Rhodesian Bush War was always in the news when I was growing up and of course, I noticed the airplanes. I was struck by their beat up paint and I think I caught that with the faded OD. The other thing that struck me was the propellers were usually overall black, no yellow safety tips which I thought was living very dangerously indeed.

Updates to follow soon, but I need more coffee first.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 08:25:38 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 12:58:00 AM »
The canopy framing and touch-ups are done.

I always feel like celebrating when I get the framing on.

Now on to the markings.

In the home-stretch,

Brian da Basher

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 01:27:35 AM »
Looking very good Brian, very COIN, has a Mustang Cavalier vibe about it,  but less hard points.

Looking forward to the  finished project.

Mog
>^-.-^<

P.S. I will neck a pint of lager in your honour
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 08:19:39 AM »
Yay! In under the wire!

If I deduct that mandatory nap I took earlier...

After this I think I'll raise a glass.

More pics and backstory tomorrow.

Brian da Basher

Offline Some Duck with an Ultimax

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2019, 08:42:38 PM »
Looking very good, and that custom OD mix looks very nice indeed, mind sharing how you made it....?  :D
Never trust a man who tells you that you have too many paints, for he is obviously a liar and will most likely try to deceive you again in future.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2019, 10:12:21 PM »
That custom OD mix was a "happy accident". I was trying to mix up some odd colors into olive and thin it with Windex and it came out "weathered". I think I have just enough left to do a well-worn NEI bird.

Brian da Basher

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2019, 10:27:28 PM »
Zimbabwe-Rhodesian North American P-51RM-X Kommando Mustang

The situation in Rhodesia became even more desperate as the Bush War wound down.

In late 1978, all available vintage North American P-51s were collected to be modernized by adding new avionics and wing-tip tanks for extended loiter time. Various home-grown weapons suitable for the counter-insurgency role were also fitted.

The fact that what were basically museum pieces were being pressed into service is indicative of the dire straits Rhodesia found herself in.

Refurbishment work continued into 1979 as the nation changed its name to Zimbabwe-Rhodesia. Eventually, nine P-51s were delivered, the first arriving at front-line squadrons in August.

A pale imitation of the more famous Cavalier Mustang, these re-treads were called "Kommando Mustangs" during their brief career.

This moniker certainly rolls off the tongue much better than the official designation NA P-51RM-X.

The Rhodesian air force was now the Zimbabwe-Rhodesian air force and a fortnight before the conflict ended, the roundel was changed to colors matching the new flag. Adoption of this marking was limited to aircraft coming out of the maintenance depot, perhaps only five in all. Why this was done at such a late date remains a mystery and is utterly over-looked by historians.

The sole surviving "Kommando Mustang" was flown to the tiny northern South African border outpost of Van Voortebeeksburg when the pilot defected. The aircraft was eventually sold to a private owner who unfortunately crashed it during an ill-advised airspeed record attempt. Nothing remains of the Zimbabwe-Rhodesian P-51RM-X "Kommando Mustang" today except this short-run model kit of which only one was ever completed. It still didn't end up looking like the nice picture on the box.

The model was brush-painted by hand in acrylics and the markings were cobbled together from spares.

Each roundel is made up of three separate decals and the fin flash consists of four.

Many thanks to Bill for his kindness in sending me the kit and to Mr Duck for bravely moderating this GB and to the rest of you playing along or just stopping by for a look.

These shots show that classic Airfix stand. It delights me to no end when I have the chance to use it.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 10:38:16 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2019, 01:51:36 AM »
Nice!  :smiley: The world definitely needs more camouflaged Mustangs!
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2019, 07:31:41 AM »
That is sweet! (The tip-tanked Mustang I mean, not the doughnuts). Good stuff  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2019, 11:24:23 AM »
Beautiful model and backstory!