Author Topic: 6x6 or less  (Read 24593 times)

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
6x6 or less
« on: August 27, 2018, 08:01:16 PM »
The Tatrapan is a Slovak-made 6x6 multi-purpose armored vehicle. It has a modular design with removable special purpose body. Various superstructures can be carried on one chassis. It takes up to 60 minutes to replace the superstructure. It is designed for multi-purpose roles like troop, weapon, specialized or communication systems carrier. A variant of the Tatrapan has been exported to Cyprus, and possibly, some other countries.

The baseline variant of the Tatrapan, the T1, is used as an armored personnel carrier. It has a crew of two and accommodates 10 fully-equipped troops. In emergency it can take 12 troops.

Armor of the Tatrapan provides all-round protection against 7.62-mm armor-piercing rounds. Some sources claim, that its superstructure withstands 12.7-mm machine gun fire. The Tatrapan is fitted with automatic fire extinguishing system.

A baseline version is equipped with one or two roof-mounted 7.62-mm or 12.7-mm machine guns or 40-mm automatic grenade launchers in various combinations.

The Tatrapan armored personnel carrier is based on the Tatra T815 Kolos 6x6 heavy utility truck chassis. It is worth mentioning that front and end of the vehicle are swapped. It is powered by a Tatra T3-930-51 a 19-liter turbocharged air-cooled diesel engine, developing 355 hp. Vehicle has a full-time all-wheel drive. Steered are front couple of axles. It has a central tyre inflation system, which can be operated on the move from the drivers station. This APC is not amphibious. It can operate in various climatic conditions, ranging from -40°C to +50°C.

Variants

Tatrapan T1 baseline version;

Tatrapan ZASA intended for peacekeeping operations. This vehicle has a reinforced structure and offers improved protection against mines;

Tatrapan VESPRA command and staff vehicle;

Tatrapan PVO air defense command post vehicle. This vehicle has a crew of seven;

Tatrapan ASTRA PVO automated air defense coordination and command vehicle;

Tatrapan DELSYS artillery command vehicle;

Tatrapan ARSYS, BAZUS ans VPG artillery command vehicles for Zuzana-equipped artillery units;

Tatrapan AMB armored ambulance;

Tatrapan MOD upgraded version, powered by a more powerful water-cooled diesel engine. It has improved cross-country performance. This variant has improved protection against landmines.

[Source]

Offline Rickshaw

Re: 6x6 or less
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 08:22:15 PM »
The Transportpanzer 1, or Fuchs (Fox), was developed to be an armored amphibious load carrier utilizing commercially available components wherever possible. Following extensive trials with prototype vehicles the main production run was carried out by Thyssen Heinschel from 1979 onwards. From is origins as a load carrier the fully amphibious Tpz 1 has been modified to meet many other requirements, one being as an APC capable of carrying up to 14 troops seated individually in the load compartment (the German Army limits the number of troops carried to ten). A total of 996 Fuchs armored vehicles of all versions were delivered for the German Army between 1980 and 1986.

As a load carrier the vehicle can carry nearly 3 000 kg of supplies under armor, with this version being convertible to an armored ambulance when necessary. However the Transportpanzer 1 has been adapted for many other purposes. The German Army alone uses the Tpz 1 as a RASIT battlefield surveillance radar carrier, combat engineer carrier, electronic warfare vehicle (without the amphibious capability), command and communications centre, an explosive ordnance disposal vehicle for the German Air Force, and an NBC reconnaissance vehicle. Other nations use the later variant, including Israel and most of the NATO countries.

The US Army has adopted the NBC vehicle as the M93 Fox and reportedly has over 300 examples.

Other export variants of the Transportpanzer 1 include an 81 mm mortar carrier, a 120 mm mortar tractor, a general purpose armored support vehicle, and an IFV version mounting a 20- or 25 mm cannon in an external mounting on the roof. Customers (apart from the NBC version) include Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Netherlands and Venezuela. In 2014 license production of this APC from knock-down kits commenced in Algeria. Initially 120 vehicles will be built for local needs. However up to 1 200 Fuchs 2 APCs might be produced until 2024 for Algerian Army.

The armament carried by the Fuchs varies according to the role and user nation. Most carrier versions are limited to a single 7.62 mm machine gun, but other models may have various 12.7 mm machine gun or 20 mm cannon installations in small turrets of external weapon stations.

The Transportpanzer 2 is an improved version. It can carry up to 4 000 kg internally without loosing its amphibious capabilities.

Variants

RASIT battlefield surveillance radar carrier.

Combat engineer carrier.

Electronic warfare vehicle (without the amphibious capability).

Command and communications centre.

Explosive ordnance disposal vehicle for the German Air Force.

NBC reconnaissance vehicle. This armored vehicle was adopted by the US Army as the M93 Fox. The US Army reportedly has over 300 examples.

Armored ambulance.

81 mm mortar carrier.

120 mm mortar tractor.

General purpose armored support vehicle.

Infantry fighting vehicle version mounting a 20- or 25 mm cannon in an external mounting on the roof.

APE, a specialized 4x4 amphibious engineer reconnaissance vehicle. It was developed for recognition of rivers and lakes. Its main role was to explore the shored and river bed in order to determine their suitability for deep wading by main battle tanks. Around 90% of its automotive components, including engine and transmission, are identical to those of the Tpz-1 Fuchs 6x6 armored personnel carrier. However the APE was never adopted.

8x8 version of the Fuchs was developed, but it never entered service. Only 2 prototypes were built.

[Source]

Mod edit: fixed link
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 07:48:04 AM by ChernayaAkula »

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 08:29:32 PM »
At the end of 1970s Japan began development of a wheeled armored reconnaissance vehicle. For a prolonged period of time Japan operated mainly tracked armored vehicles due to their rough terrain. The Type 87 was developed by Komatsu. In 1988 first seven vehicles were produced out of 60 planned.

The Type 87 is fitted with a turret-mounted Swiss Oerlikon Contraves 25-mm cannon. Secondary armament consists of coaxial 7.62-mm machine gun.

Armor of this reconnaissance vehicle provides protection against small arms fire and artillery shell splinters. Vehicle is fitted with an NBC protection system.

Vehicle has a crew of five, including commander, gunner, driver, radio operator and a scout.

The Type 87 has a rear-mounted engine. It is powered by Isuzu 10 PBI diesel, developing 305 horsepower. Vehicle is fitted with a central tyre inflation system. It can be adjusted on the move to impove mobility over difficult off-road terrain. The Type 87 armored reconnaissance vehicle is not amphibious.

[Source]

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 10:51:25 PM »
Otaman 6 x 6 by Practika in Ukraine, self-propelled 122mm howitzer variant
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 11:34:57 PM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 07:37:51 PM »
Sisu/Patria XA-180 (and later versions)

In 1980, Sisu produced an XA-180 prototype for Finnish Army tests. It competed against two other prototypes, but was declared the winner of the trials in 1983. On 22 December 1983 the Finnish Army ordered a first batch of fifty XA-180s, of which nine were reserved for UN duties. The vehicle proved quite successful and more orders were soon to follow.

The XA-180 was originally manufactured and marketed by the Finnish company Sisu Auto but later variants were marketed by the Finnish defence company Patria and are known as Patria XA series. The Vehicle's widely known nickname "Pasi" (also a common given name of Finnish men) stems from the Finnish name "panssari-Sisu" (English: armoured Sisu). The main superstructure is mainly manufactured from 6 to 12 mm of armour steel and the bottom is mine-strengthened, and the front windows are bullet-resistant and equipped with protective hatches. The vehicle has continuous six wheel drive and good capabilities for off-road driving. It can take inclines up to a maximum of 60°.

The XA series has no standard armament, but is equipped with a rotating turret structure for installation of light/heavy machine guns or autocannons. It also has 8 BMP style firing ports on the sides and rear. Therefore, passengers, usually a squad of infantry, can fire their weapons from the cover of the armor.

The XA series is popular in peacekeeping missions due to its mobility, non-aggressive appearance, and good protection against mines and improvised explosive devices (IED). The vehicle also offers a good combination of armament, comfort, mine protection, protection against shrapnel and small calibre fire, road speed, short time of learning how to drive, and an acceptable terrain mobility. It also offers more internal space compared to other similar vehicles like the Fuchs or BTR-80.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patria_Pasi

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 11:22:31 AM »
The Orca has the distinction of having the highest passenger capacity of any modern APC, and it is among the largest and heaviest ever built. It was developed with the intent of providing the Chilean Army with a high-mobility universal carrier that could rapidly transport large amounts of men, weaponry, and equipment over great distances.

Development of the VTP-1 Orca began in the early 1980s, and the project formally announced in 1983. Concept art of the Orca displayed earlier in 1982 proved different from the actual layout of the vehicle. It was developed in parallel with the BMS-1 Alacran Halftrack, utilizing a large number of mechanical and structural components, and thus bears a close visual resemblance.

It is unknown if the Orca ever saw service, but it is understood that the Chilean Army ordered 100 in 1985, and that an additional, smaller order was placed by the Chilean Marine Corps. It is no longer available for production.

The APC variant is equipped with a skate mount for a 7.62mm MAG, a 12.7mm M2HB, or a Mk.19 AGL grenade launcher on the commander's cupola. The hull is also outfitted to support a heavier weapon mount (such as an autocannon turret), though this would likely preclude the use of a cupola-mounted weapon. There are 2 firing ports with vision blocks on each side, and the rear door.

Vehicle armor is high-hardness steel, varying in thickness from 6 mm to 16 mm, which provides sufficient protection against explosion overpressure, shall splinters, and 7.62-mm armor-piercing rounds. It is unknown if spall liners, an NBC protection system, or a fire suppression system are fitted.

The crew sits slightly forward of the center, as the rear passenger spanning more than half the length of the vehicle. The driver is on the left, and the vehicle commander on the right, while the passengers sit lined-up side-to-side against the fighting compartment walls on bleachers. There are two rectangular 1-man troop hatches at the middle of the vehicle, which are set at the edges of the roof, and are hinged on the outside. The single rear door is hinged on one side, and opens horizontally. The VTP-1 Orca to this day has a larger passenger capacity than any production wheeled armored personnel carrier.

As with most AFVs manufactured by developing countries, the Orca's electronics are very spare. A radio is standard equipment, and a starlight periscope for the driver is optional, but no other significant electronics are known to have been offered.

The VTP-1 Orca's propulsion is a Detroit Diesel 6V53T Diesel V6 with 275 hp, coupled with an Allison MT653DR automatic transmission with 5 forward gears and 1 reverse gear. It has a top speed of 120 km/h, and a maximum road range of 1 200 km. 400 liters of diesel fuel are carried internally. The suspension is reportedly taken from a commercial truck, but no further details are available. This armored personnel carrier is not amphibious.

Variants

Proposed variants of the VTP-1 Orca include a prime mover for towed artillery, a self-propelled anti-aircraft gun with 20-mm or 30-mm autocannons, a tank destroyer with an ATGM launcher (possibly the Hammerhead TOW launcher), a 120-mm mortar carrier, a self-propelled radar vehicle, a self-propelled communication relay vehicle, an armored ambulance, a mobile field hospital, and a mobile workshop;

BMS-1 Alacran; this Chilean halftrack vehicle is similar to the Orca, having been developed in parallel using common components.

[Source]

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 11:35:58 AM »
Recently a new 6x6 armored personnel carrier appeared in the North Korea. This armored vehicle is produced in quantity and is in service with the DPRK Army. Little information is available on this new armored vehicle. Its official designation is also unknown.

At some point North Korean army acquired a number of BTR-80A APCs. Some sources report that 32 units were acquired. Also North Korean army operates older BTR-60PB 8x8 APCs. A couple of years ago an indigenous 8x8 armored personnel carrier appeared in North Korea, which is a clone of the BTR-80A with some modifications. It seems that the 6x6 APC was developed alongside it. The 6x6 model has similar layout and is fitted with the same turret.

The 6x6 APC is used to carry troops and cargo under armor. Some sources claim that this vehicle is also used for reconnaissance.

Vehicle has a welded hull and turret. It is estimated that front arc withstands hits from 12.7-mm rounds, while all-round protection is against 7.62-mm rounds.

This new armored personnel carrier is fitted with an indigenous turret. The same turret is also used on some other North Korean armored vehicles. It is armed with two 14.5-mm machine guns. It is believed that two heavy machine guns are used not for higher density of fire but in case one fails another will keep on firing. Also there is a coaxial 7.62-mm machine gun. Weapons have high elevation angles and can engage low-flying helicopters. During parades this APC is sometimes additionally fitted with a man-portable air defense missile.

There is a door on either side of the hull. Doors are different than those used on the Russian APC. Each door has a firing port.

The North Korean 6x6 APC has a crew of three, including commander, gunner and driver. It can carry about 6 fully-equipped troops.

Engine is located at the rear. Vehicle has a central tyre inflation system. The new North Korean armored personnel carrier is fully amphibious. On water it is propelled by a single waterjet.

[Source]

Offline dy031101

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 10:51:00 AM »
It would appear that North Korea is developing a NLOS ATGM missile system to be mounted on the indigenous 6 x 6 AFV design.  Story HERE.
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline dy031101

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 12:39:37 AM »
Wz-551-1 IFV, with Wz-501/BMP-1 turret.

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 06:53:26 AM »
Some Canadian Content...

Armoured Vehicle General Purpose (AVGP) Special Engineered Variant (SEV) Air Defence (AD).  Only one ever made, on live fire trial with 18 AD Regt RCA. Probably turned into razor blades and scrap by now.

AVGP Cougar on patrol in Somalia

AVGP Mobile Repair Team (prototype, the AVGP fleet was sold off before many of these such life-extension projects were implemented)

Some of the recipients included Civilian Police; here the New Glasgow PD has an unarmed Cougar for their Emergency Response Team

while the RCMP operate a couple de-turreted AVGP Grizzly, calling them Tactical Armoured Vehicle (TAV) 2.

Edmonton Police Service also use the Grizzly, but have kitted it out with a battering ram, seen here in the travel / stowed position

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 06:04:41 AM »
Great AVGP stuff Graeme ... especially the Grizzly AD photo and the MRT artwork! Thanks  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 06:25:24 AM »
The Japanese Type 87 look like it's a caricature/super deformed/egg version of a normal AFV.

Offline dy031101

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 09:24:18 AM »
VN2C, a mine-resistant variant of the Wz-551
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 10:35:43 AM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 05:40:43 AM »
Question: which one would be more useful- 60mm HVMS or stuffing 90mm Cockerill Mk.III into the AGVP Cougar's turret?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 05:52:21 AM by dy031101 »

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 06:03:49 AM »
As always, it depends on what you're using it for. I'd think the 60mm HVMS is more lethal (and cooler) if your primary threat is T-55s and Leopard 1s. In most cases, though, the things you're shooting at in this day and age tend to be hostile bunkers and buildings. For that, the 90mm Cockerill is far more useful.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline dy031101

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2018, 07:17:58 AM »
I see.  Thanks.

Now at the low end of NORINCO/Poly (don't know which one) price range- "Second Generation" Wz-523 a.k.a. 05P
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 07:25:07 AM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 08:07:59 AM »
LAV-150 with a 25mm gun turret.  The M242 Bushmaster, according to the description.

The turret seems more-compact than the Delco turret on the LAV-25.  Can the turret fit into other armoured cars like the FV721 Fox and/or the Panhard AML (since, compared to one-man solutions such as the Sharpshooter and the FVT-925, there is a gunner's hatch that I can potentially replace with a MCT  ;))?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 08:14:55 AM by dy031101 »

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 11:49:59 AM »
If the turret ring is large enough, and the vehicle well deep enough, there is no reason why such a turret could not be fitted.

Offline Marderman

• Guess what he builds lots of...
    • didi-berlage.de
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2020, 04:09:10 AM »
Hello,
German Fuchs KAI (KampfmittelAufklärung und -Identifizierung)
I got the crane from a friend who had built some for the military industry. The seriesvehicle ist based on Fuchs A8. I do the testvehicle.

And my  Fuchs family:

Didi

« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 04:19:07 AM by Marderman »

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2020, 08:19:42 AM »
@MarderMan/Didi - So if I translated that correctly, the Fuchs with crane attached is for the purpose of inspecting and identifying UXO/explosive devices such as IED and roadside bombs?

Very nice adaptation of the Fuchs. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2020, 02:17:31 AM »
Is the crane scratch built?  Do you have construction photos?  I could use that one a couple of projects.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Marderman

• Guess what he builds lots of...
    • didi-berlage.de
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2020, 04:40:03 AM »
I wrote it was from a friend. I don't think he can give out the drawings. The crane was scratch built. The crane was in this condition. But I could hold a tape measure on it.

Yes, Jeffry, for IED´s.

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2020, 09:02:45 PM »
Vietnam deployed BTR-152 for UN mission in the Sudan
https://www.armyrecognition.com/january_2020_global_defense_security_army_news_industry/vietnam_deployed_btr-152_for_un_mission_in_the_sudan.html

More info and a video - with interior shots.

In 2018, for the first time, Vietnam decided to contribute troops to UN peacekeeping force. Composed of medical personnel, the Vietnam contingent would participate in United Nations Mission in the Sudan (UNMIS). Expecting hostility, VPA converted a BTR-152 into a medevac.

https://twitter.com/AnnQuann/status/1216424000760401920

Looks like a BTR-152U Command Version w/o windows (goes with being up-armored) and an ambulance light bar.
Side view drawing http://www.maquetland.com/v2/images_articles/btr152k2.jpg

To wit - https://www.super-hobby.com/products/BTR-152-S-Soviet-armored-command-vehicle.html

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2020, 11:04:52 PM »
Wow - a BTR-152 still in use! Skid makes/made variants in 1/35

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2020, 11:08:48 PM »
What’s the make of the yellow truck from “Tales from the Loop”? Is is a custom build for the movie or a real vehicle? I haven’t been able toID it. It’s i. The background of the pictures in this tweet.