Author Topic: Antartica  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Geoff

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Antartica
« on: July 30, 2016, 03:32:16 AM »
Ok I was thinking of doing a model for the USN in Antartica in '46 -'47.
I know the USN used the overall Seablue for carrier planes and I believe a 2 tone scheme for land based planes. I was thinking about a lightened version of the Atlantic scheme with a very pale grey on the topside. I cannot find any USN "camouflage" schemes for artic ops with a google search. Any opinions?

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
Re: Antartica
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 05:01:31 AM »
I love the Atlantic scheme so I am onboard! I do notice lots of those antarctic schemes feature bright colors though too..
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 10:30:46 PM »
Do you want the aircraft to be camouflaged or not?  Or more importantly, do you want to hide or be seen.  If the latter, you may wish to introduce some high vis colours.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Geoff

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 04:05:59 AM »
Do you want the aircraft to be camouflaged or not?  Or more importantly, do you want to hide or be seen.  If the latter, you may wish to introduce some high vis colours.

Well camouflaged really. I have seen artwork of camouflaged USAAF planes, just wasn't sure what to do with USN planes. The RAF will have something similar to the Coastal Command scheme but with white in place of green on upper surfaces. I was thinking something similar for the USN planes.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 08:46:53 AM »
Camoflaged USAF and USN aircraft?  Is this in support of the real "Project High Jump" which supposedly was an attack on Nazi Germany's secret base on the south polar continent?

Offline Geoff

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 07:14:44 PM »
Camoflaged USAF and USN aircraft?  Is this in support of the real "Project High Jump" which supposedly was an attack on Nazi Germany's secret base on the south polar continent?

Yep 8)