Author Topic: 1/72 Rockwell Canadian 100  (Read 5638 times)

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
1/72 Rockwell Canadian 100
« on: July 07, 2016, 06:00:53 AM »
Hi Carlos:

This is a placeholder for my upcoming Rockwell Canadian 100. It is military aircraft converted to be a bush plane for use in Canada from 1980s to today. I'm still collecting the pieces but I should start cutting sprue and gluing next week.

Carl
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 12:16:59 AM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
Re: 1/72 Rockwell Canadian 100
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 12:26:39 AM »
I suspect most of you already figured out that since the manufacturer is Rockwell, the base of the Rockwell Canadian 100 is the OV-10 Bronco.

Well you are right. But what I will not show until I am done what makes it a "Canadian". For that you have to wait until I finish the kit. 

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 02:43:20 AM »
It looks like you're off to a great start and I really like your details in the 'pit!

It's a treat to see another OV-10 being used for whiff fodder! Will keep an eye peeled for updates!

Brian da Basher

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 09:46:53 AM »
Well it was your Ryan Rear Ender Brian which got me thinking that an OV-10 can be converted into something different other than a new paint and decals . My modifed OV-10 won't as radical as yours but enough I hope to make it interesting.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 03:52:55 AM »
Here is an example of the Rockwell Canadian 100, C-FSWD, in Wardair livery as seen in 1985.

The Canadian was built after Max Ward put a RFI to replace the Beaver for a freight optimized one or two engine turbo prop which could withstand the rough conditions found north of 60 degrees. This included wheels, skiis, floats and a good STOL characteristics.

Note Wardair flew:
2 de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter - 1970
5 de Havilland Canada DHC-3 Otter - 1953-1972 and 1979–1985
2 de Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver - 1954-1968 (includes Turbine Beaver model)

Max reviewed the Beaver, Otter and Twin Otter. Wardair wanted something which would provide most of the capability of the Beaver but also have flexibility to get into really remote and poor condition air fields. Having two engines helps up north is never a bad thing.

The Rockwell lads put their noggins together, took the base OV-10, moved the main landing to fuselage (used the existing gun sponson as the internal structure) and strengthen to nose gear to support skis. Larger low pressure tires were used.
The space where the main gear retracted was fitted with a small space heater to heat up the engine compartment.
The ejection seats were kept but the rocket was removed. The 2nd seat could be removed for extra cargo space. 
A retractable sun shield was added.
Anti-icing boots were added to the wings.

Build Notes
I removed the gun sponson.
The landing gear is from a DHC-6 Twin Otter. Once attached, I had to build up the space between the fairings.
The skis barely fit. Need to removed pieces and add others bits to make them look closer to the real thing.
Piano wire was used to represent the bungie cords used to prevent the skis from fluttering around in flight
The canopy is 4 pieces: Top, wind screen and 2 sides. Real pain in the butt-ski. I used thin white decal strips as the canopy frame. Painted the inside green to represent a retractable sun shield.
Not enough space in the nose for lead weights. It is still a tail sitter.

Bill of Materials
Hasegawa OV-10
Landing gear from a Matchbox DHC-6 Twin Otter
Tamiya Spray bomb for the white and the gloss finish
Hairy stick painted trim
Decals from OV-10, 1/200 Wardair A-300 and decal strips
Piano wire

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 06:28:12 AM »
Wow did that ever finish up a treat, Carl! A stunner from nose to tail!

Love that cool Canuck Wardair livery too! Seems the perfect bird for the far, far reaches of the Great White North!

Well done!!!

Brian da Basher

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 12:41:31 PM »
Great looking Bronco you have there Carl!

Just had a look at the other images you posted to the GB folder.  I have to say that your melding of the Otter landing gear and skis with the Bronco really worked well.  The new landing gear almost look like it was meant to be. 

Now when are you going to do the Bronco on floats?  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 06:17:16 PM »
That looks cool! :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 11:48:26 PM »
It is nice to see a Bronco beauty without weapons, thanks!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 04:14:23 AM »
Nice work.  :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 11:42:17 AM »
Like unusual fresh bright appearance of OV-10 in white. Trim colors and decals add extra life.  Landing gear is like frosting on cake.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 06:02:56 AM »
Great work