Author Topic: "Asteroid of Death" spaceship, by Frank R. Paul  (Read 17663 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
"Asteroid of Death" spaceship, by Frank R. Paul
« on: May 25, 2016, 10:09:09 AM »
Frank R. Paul was a prolific science fiction illustrator. He had a distinctive style with imaginative space ships, aliens and Skiffy situations, all painted in bright primary colors. He was probably the first person to illustrate what we would now call a "flying saucer".
The designs are clearly dated - compared to modern SF illustrations - but they're fun to look at. I'm sure that 85 years from now, people and AI will be laughing at quaintness of the Enterprises and Millenium Falcons that pass for fantasy space ships today.

I've been trying to convert old pulp magazine covers to 3D models. It's harder than it seems, since these artists were not working with modern CAD software and were probably on a tight schedule, so perspectives tend to be "good enough". Paul's work is good in this respect, since most of his artwork does seem to have the proper perspective.

This is the second of my attempts to render Frank R. Paul's work into 3D. Both are currently being printed at Shapeways, but this one is my favorite. Here's his cover, for the Fall 1931 issue of Wonder Stories Quarterly, illustrating the story "The Asteroid of Death" by Neil R. Jones. The distinctive looking spaceship is clearly out of warranty:

The whole magazine can be found at: http://www.pulpmags.org/wonder_quarterly_page.html here's the PDF: http://www.pulpmags.org/collections/pdf/wsq19311000.pdf
Neil R. Jones also wrote "The Jameson Satellite" which is pretty good.

I rendered the ship in 1/350 scale. Unfortunately, this was not one of Mr. Paul's most accurate drawings - there's no way of getting the ship to have the same orientation as the cover, with the rear of the engines and the nose of the ship both easily visible. Here's my best attempt:

The ship is lacking the holes in the hull; the lower sphere is removable and I'll think about making a damaged version if the current print looks good. I had to make many guesses and approximations, but I think it looks close to the cover design. Don't count and match the engine tubes; I didn't! I have roughly the same number.

The ship is 108mm (4.25"), long, 56.6mm (2.23") wide and 54.75mm(2.15")  tall.

I should get the results in a week or two. I have a feeling that masking this for painting will not be fun.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 06:22:18 AM by Frank3k »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: "Asteroid of Death" spaceship, by Frank R. Paul
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 10:27:46 AM »
If memory serves me correctly, "The Jameson Satellite" was the first of a series that got collected in paperbacks back in the 1960's or 1970's (back when I was a youngster).  If you get any illustrations of the "Bullard of the Space Patrol" series by Malcolm Jameson, those should be most interesting to model.  Those were good stories, too.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 07:33:01 PM »
Looking forward to seeing your 3d print of this.  It's a pretty cool design, and could be the base kit for a lot of different variations.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 08:25:16 AM »
Frank, it is a cracking design.
I have an 3d Printer as well.. and would really like to try this if you are willing to share your .STL file ?

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 10:38:29 AM »
Looking forward to seeing your 3d print of this.  It's a pretty cool design, and could be the base kit for a lot of different variations.

From the top iso view, it almost looks like a steam punk submarine.

I read the story and the ship section is only a couple of pages near the beginning. The rest takes place back on Mars.

Evan - I didn't realize that Bullard was a series. I read "Bullard Reflects" in a collection of classic SF and really enjoyed it. The whole sere is is on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Bullard-Tales-Patrol-Malcolm-Jameson-ebook/dp/B00EPFJ87W?ie=UTF8&redirect=true

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 02:47:31 PM »
Frank3k, thats a cracking shot at an old cover design, it's going to look ace once she's painted up. Can't wait.

One thing though:

I rendered the ship in 1/350 scale. Unfortunately, this was not one of Mr. Paul's most accurate drawings - there's no way of getting the ship to have the same orientation as the cover, with the rear of the engines and the nose of the ship both easily visible.

You know, I'm not convinced the cover has depicted the main "hull" as a sphere, it looks more like a squashed tennis ball, i.e. it aint as thick as it is high or long, its more lemon shaped. That's theonly way you could see nose and tail etc. As you said, ut was a case of 'close enough good enouhg' and maybe he didn't want the sphere as it would have covered up the nose? Just MHO.

Ciao
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 08:23:33 PM »
Evan - I didn't realize that Bullard was a series. I read "Bullard Reflects" in a collection of classic SF and really enjoyed it. The whole sere is is on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Bullard-Tales-Patrol-Malcolm-Jameson-ebook/dp/B00EPFJ87W?ie=UTF8&redirect=true
Yeah, that was the first one I read, likely in the same 2-volume collection.  I've since managed to acquire a copy of the collection, edited by Andre Norton, of most of the Bullard stories and photocopies of the stories she didn't include (include one without Bullard per se but which helps set up "Bullard Reflects").  Thanks for the tip on that ebook, I definitely will need to acquire it.  BTW, if you can find really old issues of Astounding, Malcolm Jameson has some other good work, too.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 01:34:36 AM »
 Frank,
   Figures it would be you to do old Paul justice.  :) My only observation would be to agree with Mushi - I think
 it might flattened vertically.

Good to know about the reading references, too!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 05:44:03 AM »
You know, I'm not convinced the cover has depicted the main "hull" as a sphere, it looks more like a squashed tennis ball, i.e. it aint as thick as it is high or long, its more lemon shaped. That's theonly way you could see nose and tail etc. As you said, ut was a case of 'close enough good enouhg' and maybe he didn't want the sphere as it would have covered up the nose? Just MHO.

Ciao

I tried to model the ship as you and and Dr. Yo suggested. First, I calculated the angle into the page by measuring the engine end ellipse dimensions.
Assuming it's circular and applying the dark magic of trigonometry, I get an angle of around 56 degrees into the page. I drew a circle in the right diameter, rotated it and it matched the engine end. So far so good.
I retraced the vertical fins and sphere/ellipse, added the engine circle then rotated the assembly back into the plane of the picture. The crew section can be almost anything, from a sphere to a skinny ellipse. The fins are elliptical and the combination looks like a fried egg. Here are my original and the test, rotated to match the picture:

I guess the drawing isn't as distorted as I had thought, but I think there's still something off with the perspective. I prefer my version to the fried egg, though.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 05:49:22 AM »
Yeah, that was the first one I read, likely in the same 2-volume collection.  I've since managed to acquire a copy of the collection, edited by Andre Norton, of most of the Bullard stories and photocopies of the stories she didn't include (include one without Bullard per se but which helps set up "Bullard Reflects").  Thanks for the tip on that ebook, I definitely will need to acquire it.  BTW, if you can find really old issues of Astounding, Malcolm Jameson has some other good work, too.

I still have that 2-volume collection. It had some classics, like "The Stars my Destination" by Alfred Bester and "The Weapon Shops of Isher" by A. E. van Vogt

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 11:39:35 AM »

I still have that 2-volume collection. It had some classics, like "The Stars my Destination" by Alfred Bester and "The Weapon Shops of Isher" by A. E. van Vogt

Yep, I've got it, too.  Way too good to ever get rid of.  Mind you, I've collected a lot more sf since then.  According to available data, he was retired Navy.  His ISFDB entry is here: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?448

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 03:58:24 PM »
Frank, thanks for the file I put on my UP! 3d printer and this is how it turned out

Printed at .15 resolution using normal ABS you can see some artefacts of the process

But Shapeways processes will give you an excellent result. Overall, it like it. A lot

Well done! Your 3d Render work is excellent as all I did is flip up to 90degrees so that is used less supports and I am a total 3d printer nuffy.

I will remove from the supports and take some more shorts a bit later.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 12:40:14 AM »
Brian, that looks great! I don't think Shapeways has started to print mine yet, so you have the first one. Did you scale it up? I didn't think the filament printers would be able to handle some of the details and wall thickness.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 06:53:00 AM »
Frank,
Not scaled up, direct from the STL. Only change was the orientation of the print because it made more sense to me to print vertical.
My printer or probably more so software, may have missed a lot of the detail around the drives, but but that could all be support structure, tell you after I strip back to actual components.
Some smoothing work and this will come out ace.

I reckon Shapeways will do you proud. Well done.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 06:59:01 AM by buzzbomb »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 08:24:30 PM »
So after removing the supports, which makes my idea of rotating it even stupider, this is what you end up with

This ABS is pretty tough because getting the supports off was not that easy and the model held up well being so thin

I can work with that.

Frank, terrific work

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 09:40:22 PM »
Not "stupider", mate, "empirically experimental". ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 10:01:57 PM »
Thanks for making that, Brian! It looks really good.  It looks like the nose probe didn't fully print, but that's easy to fix or ignore. The little rockets around the edge printed well. The fit will be very tight, since I used very little tolerance between the parts. You'll have to trim the ABS to get a tight fit

I can see some areas where I can improve/do a better job at matching the drawing, though.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2016, 12:34:16 PM »
I wasn't completely happy with my interpretation of the ship, so I went back to the drawing board - so to speak - and examined the artwork in greater detail. The spherical section really is a sphere - I traced the white fin and rotated it along the axis of the ship to match the curves along the windows.  They matched, so I'm going with a sphere. The drawing perspective is clearly for dramatic purposes and not a technical drawing (duh).

Here's the improved design. The main changes are the triangles and angles rockets near the engine end, the engine supports and the rocket ring/fin extends further towards the rear. The nose is a little longer. I may add 2001-style pod bay doors where the meteor damage is, before I have it reprinted:

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 12:36:53 PM by Frank3k »

Offline Antonio Sobral

• Building and painting tiny little things!
  • Greetings from Portugal
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2016, 07:24:17 PM »
I am also green...but with envy :)

I suppose this will be eventually the future of modelling and nowadays is becoming standard practice,
but it still gives me the sense of something "magical".

Thanks for sharing!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2016, 10:36:24 AM »
I suppose this will be eventually the future of modelling and nowadays is becoming standard practice,
but it still gives me the sense of something "magical".

Thanks Antonio! I don't think 3D printing displacing scratchbuilding or kit basing any time soon. Not only is it expensive, most of the printers available to hobbyists still have printing artifacts that have to be removed. DLP printers are becoming affordable (and they produce acceptably smooth surfaces) but the resins are still very expensive.

I see it as both an education worth paying for and the cost of staying proficient with the software. If I get to build models in the process, all the better.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 02:19:26 AM »
I got the first version print back from Shapeways, and the DLP printer is awesome! This is what I had always hoped Shapeways would produce.

It's hard to photograph the black plastic. There are some minor surface blemishes and printer artifacts, but they're tiny and should disappear with only a little effort:

The lower hull sphere is just held up against the rest of the ship. I need to work on my tolerances, because there are none. I'd rather sand a little until the parts fit tightly rather than use putty to fill in a gap:

This is the lower hull sphere end. This is probably where the support "sprues" were printed. Fixing these blemishes will be nothing compared to sanding out all the printer artifacts in the ultra and extreme detail acrylic:

Very few printer artifacts are visible. The raised pipe under the upper row of portholes is around 0.20mm in dia. The pipes around the lower portholes and below them are 0.5mm in dia:

The engine end has some rocket tubes missing, but I was at the limit of the printer or slightly below. Still a good result:

This acrylate material feels more like resin or styrene and doesn't feel as brittle as their ultra and extreme detail acrylic, which is very brittle and needs some extra UV (either from a lamp or indirect sunlight) to fully harden one you get the part. The acrylate material feels ready to go. Just some cleanup and it's ready for printing.

I don't know what DLP printer Shapeways is using, but the results are similar (or slightly better) to those of the Formlabs Form 1+ or Form2.

I'll have to make some minor changes to the current version of the ship before I send it in, but these results are very encouraging.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 04:31:56 AM »
Thanks for a great update, Frank! I've been watching with much interest. While this stuff is still a bit beyond me, I'm very much enjoying getting a window into it all.

Work of this precision is amazing to me. It seems this stuff has come a long way since it first became available.

Brian da Basher

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2016, 08:56:39 AM »
Amazing stuff! So, if I understand properly, the trick is to design in extra material for sand-to-fit finishing of parts?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2016, 10:11:29 AM »
Thanks guys!

Amazing stuff! So, if I understand properly, the trick is to design in extra material for sand-to-fit finishing of parts?

The 3D printers aren't 100% exact, so if you want a press fit with minimum sanding (or you want movable parts), you need to add some clearance between the parts. It depends on the material, but for the acrylate, the clearance between parts should be 0.5mm or greater. I often just "cut" the part in the software so the clearance is zero, then sand/trim one or both to fit. I should add clearance, but on one model I made years ago, even cutting the clearance in half produce loose parts.

I've glued the ship and primed it in white. There was some warpage on the bottom hull sphere, but it was easy to deal with. I'll let the primer harden and start the masking.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 10:04:36 AM »
Even though this isn't the final version, I decided to do a painting and masking test on this print, in preparation for the second version printing now. It will include a damaged lower hull.

I didn't worry too much about the paint seeping under the tape. I just noted the locations.

The white is a new acrylic primer by Badger. It has a ridiculous name - Stynylrez - but I was impressed with the coverage and durability of the primer (I used the white primer, since the resin is black). The other colors on the model are Vallejo reds and yellows, which are not "masking friendly" but they both stuck well to the Stynylrez (I guess it stands for "Styrene, Vinyl and Resin").

I did almost no surface prep, other than fill in some of the divots left by the printing support structure. There are some printing artifacts visible, but they're either hard to see or add visual interest to the surface (from some angles it looks like plating).

It came out OK. I tried filling in some of the windows with Tamiya smoke, but that would have been more effort than I wanted to put into this model.
Masking some of the curved sections was an issue and I may just generate a mask on the computer and cut it to fit. Since the fit is exact, I may print and mask the lower and upper hulls separately.

Thanks for looking!

Offline Weaver

• Skyhawk stealer and violator of Panthers, with designs on a Cougar and a Tiger too
  • Chaos Engineer & Evangelistic Agnostic
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2016, 08:15:33 PM »
That looks great Frank - well done!
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides

"I've jazzed mine up a bit" - Spike Milligan

"I'm a general specialist," - Harry Purvis in Tales from the White Hart by Arthur C. Clarke

Twitter: @hws5mp
Minds.com: @HaroldWeaverSmith

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2016, 07:58:25 PM »
Frank that is just awesome...
The quality from Shapeways is superb, as I expected.
Nice job on the "demo" model a well.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2016, 09:08:39 PM »
Dang, you're awesome. Looks beautiful.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2016, 11:25:52 PM »
Thanks guys! Masking took a very long, annoying time but it did come out better than I had expected.

The Shapeways DLP resin feels (and responds) a lot more like styrene than the output from their Frosted Detail acrylics - it certainly feels less brittle. The high definition acrylate is also cheaper, so for a slight reduction in resolution you get a cheaper part that's easier to work with and requires almost no surface prep.

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2016, 05:39:20 AM »
Nice one

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2016, 12:41:06 AM »
Incredible, unique, and as a big fan of Retro Sci If I am enamored  :-* :-*
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2016, 01:50:10 PM »
I got the second print of the "Asteroid of Death" ship. It's slightly larger than the first one, and closer to the cover artwork. Black plastic is hard to photograph at night...:

The printing artifacts are exaggerated and most will disappear with light sanding a coat of primer or both.

The new engine end. Each rocket tube is 1.8mm in diameter. The holes are 0.5mm in diameter:

I made up a basic interior that I can spruce up later. The little pips are printer artifacts, but I think they add interesting surface details, so I'll leave them:

This is the front end, with the control panel shown in the illustration below. The printing is superb.

Here's the hole, in detail. It doesn't quite match the cover, but the cover doesn't match the interior illustration, so I combined the two:

there are three other parts I didn't photograph - the upper floor, an undamaged lower hull (with two 2001-style circular airlocks) and a set of slotted circular disks that appear on the cover. The printer supports were on the inside this time, which means less surface processing, but there are little support pips in the joining surfaces that will have to be dealt with, and some minor warping of the very thin tip of the fins.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2016, 03:30:03 AM »
Looks good.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2016, 10:45:02 AM »
Terrific

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2016, 11:01:25 AM »
Great stuff!  :)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2016, 04:28:38 AM »
Wow that looks great, Frank! That's some amazing 3D printing. I had no idea the tech was capable of something so fine. I couldn't agree more about keeping those printing pips. Not only do they add plausible detail, but knowing the origin adds an extra intangible special element I really appreciate.

Watching with great interest,
Brian da Basher

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2017, 04:38:35 PM »
Reviving an old thread but this was too cool not to share on what was probably the same line of inspiration that Frank used.

From wonderfest 2017

There is the complete build on Starshipmodeler
http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=120964

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2017, 08:26:02 PM »
You do nice work, Frank.

Reviving an old thread but this was too cool not to share on what was probably the same line of inspiration that Frank used.

Ooh, just saw that - you too, Buzzy.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 03:19:10 AM by Story »

Offline andonio64

• Fio Piccolo's understudy
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2017, 08:35:35 PM »
That is awesomely beautiful , buzzbomb!
But the work of Frank3k is fantastic as well, I wish I was half as good in 3D modeling...
 :-[

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2017, 01:28:52 AM »
Yes!  Definitely worth a revisit :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2017, 10:46:47 PM »
Where's the finished product, Frank? ???
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2017, 01:35:32 AM »
I've been working on it - the main craft is painted and the astronaut is almost finished. I'll post some pictures this weekend.

Part of the delay is that I tried to print the astronaut's helmet and torso in ABS on my printer. Two fist fulls of failed prints later, I had a just OK helmet and torso. I said screw it and printed it at Shapeways and that came out great.

The asteroid itself was finished about 10000 years ago...

At least now I have a huge supply of 0.4mm and 0.2mm ABS "stretched sprue" and a pile of ABS that I may dissolve and use as plastic putty.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2017, 11:23:38 AM »
This is far from finished - front view (lower hull is not glued on). My masking isn't the greatest, but I'm going with "asteroid damage". The porthole glass is white glue:

Underside:

Split open:

Interior detail of the lower half:

Here's a detail of the cover artwork, showing the astronaut:

Astronaut and "asteroid" (volcanic rock from Amboy Crater in the Mojave)

The arms and legs and head are from random 1/35 figures, modified to fit the pose. The helmet and torso were printed at Shapeways. The proportions on Paul's cover art are way off for a human...

I don't know if he's upset because his ship blew up or because he just realized that his helmet is open to the vacuum:

The head and right arm came from the Viet Cong figures in the Masterbox "Charlie on the Left" set.

I still need to add his various tools and ropes. I printed the leg braces and it's all I used from my abortive attempt at printing the major parts of this figure. I was hoping I could use Acetone to smooth out the printer artifacts from my Monoprice 3D printer. It did... but the resolution just wasn't there.

I'm also making the floating debris from the ship (including the dead astronauts).

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2017, 03:00:58 PM »
Looking good! Has that 1940's/1950's pulp-magazine art vibe. :)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2017, 01:19:42 AM »
The proportions on Paul's cover art are way off for a human...

Sentient Simians?  :P

I must have missed the part where you were describing forced perspective with the astronaut being larger than the space ship.  That makes this even more interesting now that things are no longer all in the same scale.  A great visual treat!
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2017, 01:40:58 AM »

Sorry Frank, I LMAO looking at this one, reminds me of some characters on 'Robot Chicken'

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2017, 02:16:56 AM »
Coming along nicely
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2017, 02:44:45 AM »
I must have missed the part where you were describing forced perspective with the astronaut being larger than the space ship.  That makes this even more interesting now that things are no longer all in the same scale.  A great visual treat!

Thanks for the comments. I'm disappointing with my masking prowess (or lack of). I can see that I need to do some touch-ups, everywhere.

Jeff - The astronaut's head in the cover art is far too small for the body (look at the model - the helmet is really tight around the head). The torso is off, too. I used the torso from the original figure as a guide. The waist is a bit narrow, but I was going to add a belt.

I hadn't planned on a forced perspective with the astronaut. I was thinking on how to mount the ship, with the debris floating in space. I thought of adding a rock as both a base and a stand-in as the asteroid... but if I was going to go that far, why not add the astronaut? I thought it would be an easy addition.

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2017, 09:02:32 AM »
Jeff - The astronaut's head in the cover art is far too small for the body (look at the model - the helmet is really tight around the head). The torso is off, too. I used the torso from the original figure as a guide. The waist is a bit narrow, but I was going to add a belt.

I think it works very well. There's got to be some flexibility in Atomic Age spacesuit design interpretation. I gather you were thinking more along the lines of a Dive Helmet?

Also, in case anyone didn't catch this trend but those Pulp Fiction novel cover style suits are now a *thing*.

In science fiction, from 2001: A Space Odyssey to Ender's Game, astronauts zip around zero-g environments clad in stylish, skin-tight spacesuits. In reality, outfits designed for outer space are bulky, hard to maneuver, and have all the charm of adult diapers. Even their name, Extravehicular Mobility Units, or EMUs, is clumsy.
Enter Dava Newman, fashion designer to the stars. You won't see her work on the red carpet, but if this MIT professor has her way, all the most fashionable space explorers will be wearing her designs when they set foot on the red planet.
https://www.wired.com/2014/01/how-a-textbook-from-1882-will-help-nasa-go-to-mars/
&
https://www.nasa.gov/pdf/617047main_45s_building_future_spacesuit.pdf
the "Biosuit" concept at MIT aims to launch spacesuit into a new frontier. See how MIT's Biosuit may pave the way for better astronaut clothing on Mars and beyond.
https://www.space.com/27210-biosuit-skintight-spacesuit-concept-images.html

Astronauts heading into orbit aboard Boeing’s Starliner spacecraft will wear lighter and more comfortable spacesuits than earlier suits astronauts wore. The suit capitalizes on historical designs, meets NASA requirements for safety and functionality, and introduces cutting-edge innovations. Boeing unveiled its spacesuit design Wednesday as the company continues to move toward flight tests of its Starliner spacecraft and launch systems that will fly astronauts to the International Space Station.

A few of the advances in the design:
Lighter and more flexible through use of advanced materials and new joint patterns
Helmet and visor incorporated into the suit instead of detachable
Touchscreen-sensitive gloves
Vents that allow astronauts to be cooler, but can still pressurize the suit immediately

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/new-spacesuit-unveiled-for-starliner-astronauts

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2017, 03:25:23 AM »
The damage is great and the look on that spaceman's face is a testament to your amazing talent and skill, Frank!

Brian da Basher

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2017, 10:03:41 AM »
The Astronaut figure is finished. Not really happy with how this came out (especially considering the amount of testing that went into this).

The instrument panel on his chest is from a 1/32 Eduard color PE set for the P-38. I added another PE piece with buttons (not seen) from the same set to his left arm, and another piece of PE to the back of his left hand. I used a Molotow Liquid Chrome Marker to make it a mirror (so he can see the instruments on his chest). This stuff is really shiny! The faceplate is pretty chear - the lights just caught the Future layer a bit funny.

The coiled rope is actually 0.2mm (or 0.4mm) waste ABS that oozed out of my printer. I have tons of this stuff. At least I'll never need stretched sprue again!

This should match the artwork better. The axe is from a random Tamiya figure sprue, the microphone/Geiger counter thing is the tip of an antenna.

Side view - look at that shiny mirror on the back of his hand!

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2017, 05:42:27 AM »
That's some mighty fine figure work, Frank!

Sure looks every bit the business to me!

Love your attention to detail with the mirror and the dials, etc.

Brian da Basher