Author Topic: 1/35th FSBR - Fire Support Boat, Riverine  (Read 45690 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: 1/35th FSBR - Fire Support Boat, Riverine
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2015, 03:55:06 AM »

PS: I'm still hoping an Admin will move this to "Physical Models"; "Sea" for me, please. :)

Done. ;)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2015, 07:47:23 AM »
Thanks, Greg! :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2015, 09:11:14 PM »
Great update on the progress of this one.  I can't wait to see the next one.  This puts my Floaty entry to shame, but also gives me inspiration and ideas for the next time I go boat building.

Offline Steve Blazo

• The man likes white plastic...weird.
    • flickr
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2015, 01:41:31 AM »
WOW !!  Looking really good !!
As I walk through the valley of death,
I have no fear, because I am the meanest mother*ucker in the whole valley.
- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2015, 01:56:02 AM »
Coming along nicely! The fwd weapons station looks awesome, too. Snowy looks good.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2015, 08:36:32 AM »
Thank you, gentlemen! :icon_alabanza:

@ LemonJello: No it doesn't, yours was the inspiration & is the better constructed, & I'm glad to have returned the favour of inspiration.

I'm having to repaint the turrets & their weapons as I tried to cheat & used Tamiya rattle-can OD. After shaking the can for over 5 minutes the initial spray had some red-brown colour sitting on the surface (can was over 3 years old). As it was, not too bad, I could use it as weathering/dust but after I sprayed Tamiya Flat Clear over it almost the whole thing went red-brown! :o

So, I've sprayed a thin coat of Tamiya White Primer over everything & will be getting out the airbrush next weekend & spraying them with Mig acrylic US Olive Drab Post WW2 (FS24087), as was my original plan. ???

In case you haven't figure it, it's at about this stage that I have to start fighting my impatience to get the job done (which is why my finishes suffer). Not because I don't like painting & weathering, I actually do, but because I get impatient to see the finished product sitting in front of me. :-\
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:27:26 AM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2015, 11:37:28 AM »
I know the feeling well!

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2015, 07:06:35 PM »
I too find myself in similar straits when a project nears the end.  I'm either 1) in a hurry to get it wrapped up so I can see the final product, or 2) afraid of messing up, so the project languishes on the bench awaiting those final steps. 

Just have to tell myself it'll turn out fine, and if there are issues, well just find a way to correct them.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2015, 07:19:10 AM »
Progress has all but stopped on this due to cold, wet weather not being conducive to painting.

However, I'm about to do some more over the next couple of days.

A quick question for ideas ... or, more accurately, the final decision between ideas.

I am tossing up between 3 options for the waterline & below;

Opt. 1 - all Black.

Opt. 2 - all Hull Red

Opt. 3 - Hull Red with a Black plimsol line at the top (4" full-size = 3mm in scale)

Just call out your preferences, I wont do a poll, & I need them by tomorrow morning at the latest (it's 0845hrs, Tuesday 30 June, here, now).

Thanks guys! :)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2015, 07:59:10 AM »
This is a bit of deja vu here.. I went through the same think when I was building a Pibber.. they are all very valid and depended on manufacture date, refits etc etc.

I eventually went the red colour as it gave a nice contrast as I displayed the boat at speed planing across the water.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2015, 08:30:59 AM »
You can get an idea of what you want to do regarding the paint scheme for your small combatant craft by checking out the slightly out of date, yet still pertinent NSTM (Naval Ships' Technical Manuals) for Boats and Small Craft, 1998, Chapter 583 (1.75 MB pdf document file) two sections go into detail on maintenance and painting of steel hull and fiberglass hull small craft/boats. 

Above document is part of the Historic Naval Ships Association on-line library of manuals and documents some are read only on-line and others like the NSTM documents are available to download and best of all, they are FREE. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2015, 05:17:39 PM »
Not sure that helps me make my decision ??? but thanks, guys! :)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2015, 09:08:46 PM »
OK, decision made early - Opt. 3 it is!

Already masked up to begin this tomorrow morning, so I'm not changing my mind. ;)

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2015, 10:14:43 PM »
Truthfully, all your options sounded good.  I went with a Tamiya black green for my lower hull mainly because it was sitting on the shelf and I wanted to do something a little different.

Can't wait to see this one with some paint on her.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2015, 09:28:08 AM »
Thanks, LJ! :)

Primary hull colour down. Didn't go with pure Hull Red, went a 1:1 mix of XF-9 Hull Red & XF-7 Flat Red (Tamiya colours).

Looks good, even if I do say so myself. :D

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2015, 12:43:13 PM »
Well . . . . . where's the pic Wombat? ;)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2015, 01:55:55 PM »
Coming! Don't rush me! ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2015, 06:22:40 PM »
OK, here are a few quick pic's of what happened today.

Red hull, black plimsol line, paint came away, I liked the look & I worked with it.

I'll paint over some of the stripped areas but some will get rust streaks 1st, while other bits will stay as is & get less developed rusting. This way I end up with old scrapes painted over & new scrapes not yet dealt with. Makes it look like a working boat.

There are, also, some faults with my painting (unpainted bits between the red & the black) which I'll fix up one way or another.

I'll try to take better pic's later.

Enjoy! :)

Hand-painted dials, controls & radar screen.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2015, 08:06:20 PM »
Love it! The weathering will just be icing on this "cake" of awesome!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2015, 09:25:45 PM »
Thanks, LJ! :)

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2015, 11:13:57 PM »
Very nice.  :)

BTW the line is called a boot stripe, Plimsoll Lines are the loading marks.

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2015, 11:56:53 PM »
Thanks, Jon! :)

I was always under the impression that the boot line was marked at the mean load depth & was called the Plimsoll line. Knew the other markings were for various conditions but thought they were more modern & didn't realise they were the actual Plimsoll lines.

Learn something new every day! :D

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2015, 08:48:30 PM »
I was putting the turrets together today ( Birthday treat for myself ;) ) when I discovered a little problem - the Vulcan doesn't depress far enough! :o

So, I'm in the process of modifying the set-up & it seems I'm on the right track. :)

Slowly (Oh, so slowly!) coming together! :))

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2015, 11:48:30 PM »
Looking at he bow of boat and I keep imagining what it would look like with a small bow ramp where the two inside halves of the hull meet up.  Something about the size of the ramp from the Higgins' LCP(R) or UDT Boat in design. 

Maybe for your next project then?  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2015, 12:49:36 AM »
Looking at he bow of boat and I keep imagining what it would look like with a small bow ramp where the two inside halves of the hull meet up.  Something about the size of the ramp from the Higgins' LCP(R) or UDT Boat in design. 

Actually, the front hull is very reminiscent of the front of the LVTP-5:

I really like the scale of the weapons to the boat. The widening was just right and it really looks like a riverine hull.

One suggestion (and I know this is not the time for suggestions, but I only just found this thread...) is that the open 40mm mount would have been very vulnerable in river combat conditions where the ranges to the shore were very short. It's kinda like urban warfare for boats. Like the single 40mm mounts, a slab sided armoured turret might have made more sense and would have allowed you to keep the less expensive Tamiya turret. The larger boats were also RPG magnets which is why the LCT riverine craft frequently had the bar armour. I'm not suggesting that for the boat, because that way lies madness, but maybe something like that for the turrets might be interesting.

Just random kibitzing of course. :)

Paul