Author Topic: 1/35th FSBR - Fire Support Boat, Riverine  (Read 45267 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: 1/35th FSBR - Fire Support Boat, Riverine
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2015, 10:52:52 AM »
Thanks, Doc! :))

PS: The jets are fixed because my skill set doesn't include microscopic pivots & ball-joints.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2015, 07:22:52 PM »
Talented work as usual Wombat  8) 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2015, 08:07:17 PM »
For LemonJello & anyone else who may be interested.

Hope you find them useful. :)

Very useful, and somewhat intimidating...they're little models all in themselves.  Such detail! Mine will be but a poor shadow of these, I fear.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2015, 10:38:35 PM »
Talented work as usual Wombat  8) 8)

Thank you, amigo! :D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2015, 07:40:47 PM »
Looks brilliant.  top work

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2015, 06:07:33 AM »
Guy,

Your work on the water-jet pump units is amazing.  Really impressed with the additional little details you have added that bring a certain amount of realistic looking function to each unit. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2015, 11:46:33 AM »
Thanks, Camthalion & Jeff! :icon_alabanza:

As the GB is finished but this isn't, could one of the Admin guys please move this thread to Physical Models: Sea for me, please, & I'll finish it there. Thanks!

Well, the boat is finished ready to prime. Weapons are still to be built. Here are the pic's as of an hour ago.

The water-jets, canopy, ladder, pilot's seat & wheel are all loose-fitted for the photo's & will be painted & detailed seperately.

The greenish spots are liquid mask over clear parts (mostly handcrafted from clear sprue).

The cabinets behind the cockpit are .50-cal ammunition lockers, each sized to fit 16 x 200-rnd boxes. Microphone & R/T handset are handcrafted from styrene. Copper & various grades of lead wire used for the wiring.

Still have to make the anchors & fit the life-rings, extinguishers (after painting) ... plus the weapons.

Not sure if I should put exhaust outlets at the stern for the 2 x Ford 351 Windsor marine V8's or if they should exhaust through the water-jets. Suggestions?

Hope you're all still enjoying this!

Cheers! :)

Guy

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2015, 11:59:11 AM »
Wow!  Hard to believe that started out as a 1:72nd scale SchnellBoot.  Very impressive and the wheelhouse, masts, and electronics you have added are quite convincing.

Why spark ignition gasoline engines?  Diesel would be far safer to operate. 

Exhausts can vent above water line but would need mufflers/suppressors to cut the noise.  Cut-outs on the exhaust to vent direct instead of through the mufflers at full power would make perfect sense for a gasoline engine but a diesel might have a turbo charger with fuel injection so the mufflers might not be necessary.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2015, 12:21:10 PM »
Well, I know who to talk too if I ever decide to build a boat! I love the hatches etc over the engine compartment. It would be easy to overlook but you nailed it.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2015, 02:07:35 PM »
Really enjoying each picture.  All detail enhancements have synergy with the others.
Well thought out and built :)

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2015, 06:14:21 PM »
Superb work old son, superb  :) :) 8) 8)

Except for .............. Ford, Windsor V8? ??? You could at least use Mr. Clevelands' better revving V8, your still hung up on Windsors Wombat. ::) Not making any reference nor comment on the fuel used for such mills :-X
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2015, 08:13:07 PM »
Wow...just, wow.  The level of detail is so amazing! Impressive doesn't begin to cover the work involved here. 

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2015, 06:58:25 PM »
I haven't been around much because, between SWMBO & work, I'm rather short on free time - which I've been putting into the build.

However, thank you for your comments & support, everyone!

A couple of specific answers, though;

Why spark ignition gasoline engines?  Diesel would be far safer to operate. 

Exhausts can vent above water line but would need mufflers/suppressors to cut the noise.  Cut-outs on the exhaust to vent direct instead of through the mufflers at full power would make perfect sense for a gasoline engine but a diesel might have a turbo charger with fuel injection so the mufflers might not be necessary.

Jeff, I went with a petrol engine because I couldn't find a suitable diesel from the late-60's early-70's time frame in my research, as I didn't think the 180 hp Detroit Diesel 6V53N engines of the PBR 31 were powerful enough for this beast. If you know of a suitable light marine diesel in about the 250 hp+ range I'd be happy to change.

I've decided on the exhaust venting into the water-jet flow, between the props & the nozzle, so they're quiet & don't interfere with the functioning of the water jet, with ball-valves to stop any back flow.

Except for .............. Ford, Windsor V8? ??? You could at least use Mr. Clevelands' better revving V8, your still hung up on Windsors Wombat. ::) Not making any reference nor comment on the fuel used for such mills :-X

When I couldn't find a suitable diesel I went for Ford Windsor V8's because I knew that in this time frame Ford were transitioning to the Cleveland plant motor & that Windsor V8's were being converted to marine use. Made sense to me.

And think of how they'd go with 110/130 AvGas running through them! ;D

PS: Glad to see you're alive! Did you get my SMS during the Great Deluge? Was wondering how you were faring.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2015, 04:49:44 PM »
Really first class work Guy.
Great attention to detail

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2015, 08:41:15 PM »
Thanks, Brian! :icon_alabanza:

The details are driving me nuts ... OK, crazy, I was nuts to start with ... but I really wanted to get a bit more into this build than 1970's/1980's Tamiya level accuracy.

Even bought an AFV Club M-42 to use it's turret instead of the Tamiya turret I had (chalk & cheese on details).

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2015, 10:18:47 PM »
Well, near disaster averted ... I think ... So far. ???

I've finished the M2HB .50 cal's & the M-163 Vulcan turret to bits & sub-assemblies ready for primer & painting before putting it all together. :)

I am in the process of doing the same for the M-42 Bofors turret. While putting a small sub-assembly together hand met liquid cement bottle & over it went! >:D

All over my work mat (Luckily not onto the dining table. :)) ) covering various tools in glue & slopping onto the breech units for the guns! :o

Luckily I noticed this & quickly rinsed them off. However, there is glue damage &, of course, most of it's on the outside where it'll be seen. :-\

I've smoohed them off a bit & it's not too bad but they are a tab pitted. I'm hoping a couple of rounds of prime-&-sand will fix the worst of it. :icon_meditation:

With nerves shot, I'm leaving it for now & checking out here, & playing some computer games.

Cheers!

Guy

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2015, 10:55:07 PM »
Close call! You've got the right idea, step away from the bench and do something else.  I've been there many, many times.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2015, 09:40:46 AM »
Well, not as good as I'd hoped but better than I expected. :)

Most of the pitting has been fixed but I've lost some small details & a few have become a bit soft but I can live with them, so an acceptable result for a near disaster.

Cheers! :))

Guy

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2015, 09:43:37 AM »
Guy,

Glad to hear that your liquid cement disaster was not a complete loss and you were able to salvage most of your work.  Hopefully the fumes dissipated quickly. 

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2015, 09:58:29 AM »
I still cop the occasional gassing when I pick up a tool or move a sealed bottle of liquid cement out of the way but most of it cleared pretty quickly after I soaked up the liquid.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2015, 11:26:23 PM »
Thanks for your concern, folks.! :)

Damage is ... well ... damage but progress is progressing &, despite the flaws, the guns are beginning to look pretty damned good, to me. ;)

By the way, having done some more research into diesel engines of the era, I've decided that the power-plants are now 2 x Cummins 460hp diesels (as per the Isreali M-50/M-51), or variations thereof.

Cheers! :D

Guy
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 11:28:54 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2015, 11:55:53 PM »
A common Cummins diesel from the period for marine propulsion is the turbocharged VT8-370-M.

Power Rating
Intermittent: 370 bhp at 3,000 rpm
Continuous: 270 bhp at 2,600 rpm

Specific Fuel Consumption
Intermittent: .402 lb/bhp/hr
Continuous: .394 lb/bhp/hr

Oil Consumption: .5 pint/hr

Displacement: 785 cu in
Weight: 2,775 lbs with std accessories

Dimensions w/reverse gear:
5' 9" L X 3' 3" W X 2' 10.5" H

- Jane's Surface Skimmers: Hovercraft & Hydrofoils 1972-73
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2015, 12:44:03 AM »
Even better!

Thanks, Jon!

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2015, 09:37:46 AM »
Yer welcome Guy.

BTW the 65 ton Motor-Junk I worked/lived on in Hawaii from '90-'95 had the non-turbo version of the 785 cu in Cummins
V8 turning a 42" screw, 'twas a serious lump o' iron. I became intimately familiar with that engine.
 :)
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2015, 07:00:50 PM »
OK, a little proof that something is happening - even if slowly (everything) & badly (my airbrushing).

This is Snowy, he's the Dockside Watch Duty Crewman.

Thanks for watching! :))

PS: I'm still hoping an Admin will move this to "Physical Models"; "Sea" for me, please. :)