Author Topic: 1/35th FSBR - Fire Support Boat, Riverine  (Read 45606 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: 1/35th FSBR - Fire Support Boat, Riverine
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2015, 10:48:26 AM »
Waiting for pic's to upload to PhotoBucket ............................... Waiting! ............................... Waiting! ............................... Waiting! ............................... Still waiting!

OK! Done!

You may now see how little progress has progressed. ???

Need to do quite a few small bits, still.

Ropes & cables for the anchors.
Gloss coat & decals.
DullKote & weathering (rust & repainted sections - which scares the willies out of me, on the fair chance I'll f-up).
Remove masking & paint final details (nav lights, dial glazing, etc.).

For those of you who know the Italeri M163, you may notice that I scratch-built "working" hydraulic pistons for the gun elevation system.

Cheers! :icon_beer:

Thanks for watching, guys! :icon_alabanza:

PS: Yep, too late. tankmodeler, but I'd already thought about those things & passed on them for the purposes of this build.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2015, 08:10:01 PM »
Stunning! Absolutely stunning.  I keep going back over the photos and mentally kicking myself for missing little details on my boat that you included on yours. 

Well, I'll just file them away for my next floaty build. 

Again, Bravo Zulu on this masterpiece!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2015, 09:30:24 PM »
Thanks, LJ! :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2015, 10:53:42 PM »
Imagine being an insurgent opening up on that one night believing it to be a civilian craft  ;D

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2015, 10:41:45 AM »
Pity the poor low flying ac that strays too close to this boat!

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2015, 11:17:35 AM »
Pity the poor low flying ac that strays too close to this boat!

Only if the ac doesn't see it first.  ;)
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline tanktastic43

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2015, 04:04:17 PM »
Deadly!

Great build!

Well done.

tt43.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2015, 11:20:42 PM »
Thanks gent's! :icon_alabanza:

Progress still very slow due to p!$$-poor weather, work & family commitments. :icon_crap:

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2015, 11:48:32 PM »
My step daughter is down your way, she just loves it when we tell her the temperature up here, warmer in winter cooler in summer, just love the tropics.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2015, 09:13:53 AM »
If I had the money &/or a job that gave me the flexibility I'd be a bi-annual Stuart Highway nomad, up in late-April before Winter really starts to bite, down in late-October before the Wet gets serious.

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2015, 08:23:32 PM »
If I had the money &/or a job that gave me the flexibility I'd be a bi-annual Stuart Highway nomad, up in late-April before Winter really starts to bite, down in late-October before the Wet gets serious.

I prefer the wet to an Adelaide summer to be honest, never thought I'd say that but once I was acclimatised I found the humidity easier to handle than the stupidly hot temperatures in Adelaide from December to February.

Drop me a PM and I can ask around about opportunities up here if you like, the trouble is the cost of houses or rent can make it a very hard move to do.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2015, 12:02:14 AM »
Not serious, mate, because even if I could the missus wouldn't.

PS: Weather here is cold, cold, cold & wet - which is stalling my gloss-coating. :icon_crap:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 12:05:23 AM by Old Wombat »

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2015, 06:10:52 PM »

PS: Weather here is cold, cold, cold & wet - which is stalling my gloss-coating. :icon_crap:

Tell me about it, it got down to 14C overnight, I almost grabbed a jumper this morning. ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2015, 09:34:25 AM »

Tell me about it, it got down to 14C overnight, I almost grabbed a jumper this morning. ;)

Not sure I wanted to know that. :icon_crap:

Well, I've been doing little bits & pieces ... & I got carried away with the rusting. :-[

Honestly, I was just enjoying playing with the AK rust paints I bought & was enjoying being impressed with the results even my ham-fisted painting could achieve.

So, although in real life no Royal Australian Marine would dare let their vessel/vehicle get even close to this badly rusted, I'm leaving it as is.

Should be finished, finally, in about a week. Photo's then.

Cheers!

Guy

Offline 35th-scale

• On first name terms with someone called Nathan...
  • I wonder what scale he builds in???
« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2015, 10:51:07 PM »
Great build....love all that firepower!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2015, 01:05:54 AM »
Thanks, mate! :)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2015, 01:43:59 AM »
Fire Support Boat, Riverine (FSBR) Mk.II

Length: 51 feet 8 inches (15.75m)

Beam: 15 feet 6 inches (4.72m)

Draught: 24 inches (61cm)

Displacement: 20.67 long tons (23.15 short tons / 21t)

Propulsion: 2 x 270/370 hp (201/276 kW) Cummins VT8-370-M turbocharged marine diesel engines,
                      each powering a Caldwell & Lacey TP12M turbine water-jet with a thrust bucket for
                      reverse thrust.

Speed: 22.5 knots (25.25mph / 41.85 km/h)

Complement: 10 - 12

Armament: 2 x 40mm Bofors multi-purpose autocannon in a US M-42 twin-mount turret (248 rnds)
                      1 x 20mm General Dynamics M168 Vulcan rotary cannon (3,000 rnds)
                      2 x .50 cal Browning M2HB machine guns (3600 rnds)
                      Assorted personal small-arms

Armour: Hull – ¼ inch mild steel plus internal reinforcing up to ¾ inch
                Superstructure – 1 inch armour grade aluminium

The Fire Support Boat, Riverine, Mk.II was an Australian-built vessel designed for operations in the rivers & deltas of South East Asia utilising primary & secondary weapons acquired from US forces in Vietnam.

Operated by the Royal Australian Marines of the Joint US-Australian River Patrol (JUSARP) from 1967 until the withdrawal of Australian main force units in 1978, when they were handed over to the Republic of Viet Nam Navy (RVNN).

The FSBR’s were generally used with RAM PBR 31 Mk.II’s in operations against North Vietnamese / Viet Cong supply bases along the river. However, they often served as flank-guards for main force land operations in the Mekong Delta & River areas, & as fire-support for RAM Special Boat Service infiltration & extraction operations, & US Navy SEAL activities all along the Vietnamese coastal & riverine areas.

Only 6 of these boats were built, including the 2 Mk.I’s which were converted to Mk.II standard. As river boats the FSBR’s were quite exceptional, with a rapid acceleration & impressive agility for their size. However, they lacked sufficient crew accommodation for extended patrol operations & had generally poor ride qualities in all but the calmest seas. Despite this they were the preferred support boats for special operations teams as they were fast, heavily armed &, with their exhaust gasses exiting via the water-jet units, quiet.

Depicted is FSBR Kilo-Four (a.k.a. “The Real Thing”) as she appeared at the height of the 2nd Tết Offensive, in 1975, during short a Rest & Re-armament break. In the cockpit is the Duty NCO, Corporal Lionel “Snowy” Walters.

(Note: These are the last photo's before the cockpit roof was glued in place.)

Lidded, roofed & covered.

(Link to new SmugMug album: https://guyplachy.smugmug.com/RAM-Fire-Support-Boat-Riverine/)

Well, except for a bit of loose gear floating around, that's it!

FINISHED!

;D

« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 08:38:44 AM by Old Wombat »

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #117 on: August 05, 2015, 02:33:08 AM »
Bravo! Bravo! Encore!  (insert roar of crowd and thunderous applause).

Amaze-balls.  Just an all-around stunner.

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2015, 02:50:21 AM »
That really looks fantastic, Wombat. I was skeptical at first of just how much this would look like a 'Nam boat given the unusual hull configuration, but it's definitely a cross between a PBR and an LVTP-5. Really well done. It fits the role and period perfectly.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2015, 03:44:08 AM »
Loe the detail you put into this.  Great work! :) :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #120 on: August 05, 2015, 05:05:15 AM »
Great work Guy!  Really made excellent use of all the parts to pull this off.  BZ!
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2015, 09:09:09 AM »
Thanks guys! :icon_alabanza:

After a while all you see are the flaws.

It's good to get some outside perspective - especially when it's positive! :D

A link to the song that inspired the name: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HImcaPDmfBY

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #122 on: August 05, 2015, 09:24:34 AM »
Super Duper --- Built beyond the call of duty :)

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2015, 09:25:15 AM »
Just amazing! I can see a retired Navy SEAL saying, "I wish we had one of these back then"!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2015, 09:27:34 AM »
Thanks, fella's! :icon_alabanza: