Author Topic: 1/35 Zombie hunter  (Read 6809 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
1/35 Zombie hunter
« on: January 30, 2015, 08:38:47 AM »
I got the Masterbox 1/35 Zombie Hunter late last year:

It doesn't come with a motorcycle, which is fine. I picked the Zvezda M72 (ex-BMW R71) with sidecar:

I almost finished the motorcycle and rider, but work got in the way and I didn't get much time to work on it until recently. The Zvezda M72 is a really nice kit, with petite details and fairly quick construction for such a delicate model. The attachment points remind me of ICM vehicle kits.

Here's what I have so far. This figure took way too long to finish. I didn't give her shorts like on the boxtop. I'm not sure riding a motorcycle with a trench coat is the smartest thing to do....

It looks like her gun is twisted, too.

The shotgun's carrier is using some decals I got from Jeff Fontaine.

I didn't do a very good job with the face, although it looks like they tried to make her look like Milla Jovovich. Her belt is a PE strap from a Trumperter weapons set and the shoulder strap is pinstripe tape. It took some trimming of the motorcycle seat, her seat and the trench coat to get her to sit properly on the motorcycle, but it wasn't too bad. I may or may not add a buddy in the sidecar. I still have to finish the motorcycle and add all the carry-ons.

I'm not sure about the gray color for the motorcycle; I had originally intended on making the figure the focus. I don't think I'll make her a zombie killer. Zombies have long ago jumped the shark and have been eaten. I'll think of something else.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 08:41:04 AM by Frank3k »

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
Re: 1/35 Zombie hunter
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 10:01:34 AM »
Looks great! Figures of any size and shape I stay away from . Maybe the crooked gun is just her being "gangster" ;D
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 01:31:40 PM »
Nice. Good to see this one done.
I am actually more interested in the Z figgies and how they come out.

Will get this set when I see it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 02:40:08 AM »
That's some outstanding work, Frank! Your paintwork is incredible and you seem to have captured the gritty realism of this subject.

The box art is a real kick. I like that they got that you've got to shoot zombies in the head to have any effect.

Brian da Basher

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 02:59:58 AM »
MB should have marketed this as 'Joan of Arc' Zombie Hunter.

Some of the pertinent details of the Resident Evil heroine are missing or out of proportion to the rest of the head and body.  Still beats trying to convert a Pheonix Pholly nude into an action figure I suppose :)

Good work Frank considering what you had to work with.  MB really stumbled on this one in not providing a motorcycle with the figure. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 03:51:24 AM »
Some of the pertinent details of the Resident Evil heroine are missing or out of proportion to the rest of the head and body.

Headlights, mainly...

Good work Frank considering what you had to work with.  MB really stumbled on this one in not providing a motorcycle with the figure.

That's what I thought at first, but in practice, it was actually not a bad idea since it gave me a choice of motorcycle kits to pick. The Zvezda M72/BMW R71 is an outstanding model. I was going to use the dirt bike from the DML Light Infantry set, but that kit is a bear to put together and not as well detailed as the Zvezda kit.

MB did a good job with her legs. Considering the range of motorcycle kits available, she did fit with only some trimming to the seat (hers and the bike's).

I still have to finish the M72, and add the gear that comes with the MB kit. I may build up one of the Zombies, since they are well done and I don't have to work all that hard to get the proper skin tone. There's a dude with tentacles coming out of his mouth (optional). The overweight postal carrier (or meter maid) woman, the crawling granny and the dude who looks like he just stumbled out of a bar at closing time. They don't look very zombie like in plastic, but they have stereotypical zombie gait and posture.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 04:43:34 AM »
Nice work
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 05:32:35 AM »
While not the most realistic, the DayZ zombies all share some common features such as a rotten skin color that is slightly reminiscent of something that escaped from the Rocky Horror Picture Show after decomposing for a couple of weeks.  Plenty of images to use as painting guides via this link to Google image search results for DayZ Zombies
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 11:02:29 AM »
I glued and or tacked together the drunk stumbling out of a bar zombie:

I have to admit - while the facial expression looks more constipated than dead, the stance (with the feet slightly toed in, as if he's a bit unstable walking) and the torn shirt are effective.