Author Topic: Here are pics of my whif madness. Mark's Madness  (Read 51980 times)

Offline uarkram

• I have a razor-saw, and I'm not afraid to use it!
Re: Here are pics of my whif madness. Mark's Madness
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2015, 10:49:30 PM »
Yesterday I teased you with my description of my E-150 Imperial Tiger.
Here are the pics. Don't say I didn't warn ya!

Offline uarkram

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2015, 10:39:08 PM »
Just a quick update today. Got the upper, and lower hull cut out. Next I'm going to put in the lower nose plate. Once it is nice and square, then I will install the new upper piece. I'm taking my time, and doing ALOT of dry fitting.

That's all for now.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2015, 05:26:26 AM »
Came up with a new idea last night. A M88 with all the recovery gear stripped off, and converted to a assultgun/ tank-destroyer. I'm thinking maybe a 203mm barrel from a M110A2, just 'cause I have two of them in the pile. The name I came up with is M43 Crusher.
What do you think? Too over the top? Nah! ;D

I was thinking about this a bit more.  Maybe go with something like the Brummbär gun set up for this idea:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline uarkram

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2015, 12:45:49 AM »
Glad you brought this topic up. I have been doing some thinking on it as well.

From the basic chassis you could do two versions of it. The assault-gun would have a short barreled 203 mm howitzer or even a 165 mm demolition gun for those pesky buildings and strong points. The ball mount would look cool, but I would make it bigger to take a bigger gun than a 150.

The tank-destroyer version could mount a slightly longer version of a M68, 105 mm, or a 120mm gun. If you really want to get funky you could mount a T140, 105 mm L/65 or a T123/T179 (same gun) 120mm L/60. For the modern look use a Rheinmetall L/55 120 mm. Any of those guns would put holes in T-44/54/55's and Js-4/7's.

The side doors would have to go, and the roof rearranged. The direct vision ports at the top of the front plate would be filled in, and a ball-mount m.g. added to the right front.
It is a cool idea, and if you want to build one go ahead, because I'm not going to do one anytime soon. I'm having problems getting the front plate to fit on the Hood.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2015, 02:57:59 AM »
Is up pose your 203mm version would fall nicely between the 150mm Brummbär and the 380mm Sturmtiger:

Either way the look should be much the same.

Maybe make the Assault M88 a West German one since they operate M88s as well?

Offline uarkram

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2015, 06:00:14 AM »
Yuppers! I also thought of doing an IDF version, since they also use the M88. You could mount a captured 152 mm on it. ;)

Offline uarkram

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2015, 08:52:14 PM »
Since it snowed here in P.A. last night, and we have been talking about assault-guns, here are pics of my StuH 7. I built this with street fighting in mind.

Base kit is DML's Panther II, with E-100 tracks, drivers, idelers, and road wheels. The E road wheels are on the Panther swing arms, with the help of spacers/ adapters made from styreen tube. The superstructure , and all the details are scratch-built, or came from the spare parts boxes.

The main gun is a 203 mm, from a Verlinden update set for a M-107/ 110. The sub-turret isn't for air defense, but to shoot at guys on the upper stories of buildings.

I hoped to post pics of the completed Hood hull, but I ran into some problems.
This was built in 2001, but re-built in '09, when some details were changed, and the winter whitewash was put on.
Enjoy.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2015, 02:56:20 AM »
 :)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2015, 01:35:29 PM »
Oh, yeah! That's cool! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline uarkram

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2015, 07:04:32 PM »
Thank you gentlemen for the kind words.
Some times I have flashes of brilliance, but most of the time I just muddle through. ;) ;D

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2015, 06:08:58 AM »
Some mighty fine work there. Keep it up.  :)
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline uarkram

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2015, 09:47:59 PM »
Hello Everyone, by now I wanted to post pics of the Hood hull, but I'm still having problems that I will go into once I get it finished.
So instead I thought I would post pics of my E-10 Feld Mouse. This is one of my favorites, and was on display at a local hobby shop.

Base kit is Trumpeter E-10 with the PaK 39 removed. The hole was filled in, and smoothed over. A ball mount m.g. and the drivers visor were then added, and supplemental armor made from .03 sheet and 1mm brass hex bolts finished off the front plate.

Details on the roof were removed, but the drivers hatch, and the rear loading hatches were kept intact.  The large bulge on the engine deck removed, the hole filled in, and the edges hidden with styreen rod.

The turret is all from the spare parts box. A resin BTR turret is the base, with rocket rails from a 1/48 aircraft kit. The SS-11 missiles are from Heller, IR gear from Dragon, 20 mm mantlet is a part of a pen, and a metal barrel from someone. (can't remember who's).

The hard edge cammo is made with the silly putty method, with ALOT of little dots.

Hope you like it.
Mark.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2015, 09:40:50 PM »
I do like that.

I have an E-10 in my stash, and a cunning plan I may get to one day, I can only hope it looks as good as yours.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2015, 03:18:54 AM »
Cool

Offline uarkram

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2015, 04:22:42 AM »
Volkodav,

Thank you for the kind sentiment.

If you have a 'Puma' turret you could make the tank version of the E-10. I was going to replace the 50 mm gun with an automatic 37 mm one.

Offline uarkram

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2015, 08:31:27 PM »
Finally front plate is on the Hood!
This part of the conversion gave me the most problems. I used a extra front plate from an old Lunar M-46 Patton conversion set. The plate was twisted/ warped four ways till Sunday. I thinnned the plate down with my Dremel, and used a hairdryer to straiten it out.  I still have to blend it in with putty, but the hard part is over.

The last pics shows it next to the M-46A3, (m47 hull)  just for size comparison.
I think it looks wicked. 8)

Hope you like it, I do.

Armor Mark

Offline uarkram

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2015, 08:54:08 AM »
Three pics of the hull construction.

The first pic shows the 'bench' I put in for the half-figures for the crew.
The other two show the hull haves glued together.

Enjoy!

Armor Mark

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2015, 12:40:07 AM »
Volkodav,

If you have a 'Puma' turret you could make the tank version of the E-10. I was going to replace the 50 mm gun with an automatic 37 mm one.

Actually thinking Korean war SP AT / assault gun (as opposed to tank destroyer), an SP replacement for towed 6pdr guns in Commonwealth (specifically Australian) Infantry battalions.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2015, 10:58:46 AM »
Volkodav,

Actually thinking Korean war SP AT / assault gun (as opposed to tank destroyer), an SP replacement for towed 6pdr guns in Commonwealth (specifically Australian) Infantry battalions.

AFAIU, all 6 Pdrs had been replaced well and truly by 17 Pdrs by then...

Offline uarkram

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2015, 10:31:27 PM »
Hey Volkodav,

I would use an E-25 or a 38(D) chassis with 'E' road wheels. Just because of the greater internal volume, you can up-gun if you want, and the crew won't be squished.

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2015, 10:34:06 PM »
Hey Volkodav,

I would use an E-25 or a 38(D) chassis with 'E' road wheels. Just because of the greater internal volume, you can up-gun if you want, and the crew won't be squished.

Yes but I have the E-10 in the stash

Anyway I have high jacked the thread for long enough, your superb effort just reminded me of my long delayed plans
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 10:45:05 PM by Volkodav »

Offline uarkram

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2015, 01:03:20 AM »
Volkodav,

Have you thought about a Leopard/ Panther chassis for your assault-gun? Since the Leopard (WW 2, not the modern one) was built with Panther parts you could cut a Panther apart and make it shorter. If you look at my StuH 7, I used a Panther II hull, with the roof cut out, and a new superstructure made from plastic sheet. You could do that to a Panther chassis, you could create a whole family of vehicles, SPG's, APC's, TD's, etc,etc based on the shorter chassis.

Here is my thought process on how/ why I create the stuff I do.

June 6/7, !944, Normandy.

The counter attack that was launched by the Germans on the 6th-7th, was successful, and a join up between the British, and American beach heads impossible. Someone finally calls the 17th Kreigsmarine district, and tells them to attack. The Germans launch a fierce naval counterattack with 'S' boats, and coastal midget submarines. The shipping used to support the landings take a beating, and fully 2/3 of the transports are sunk or damaged. At the same time the counterattack on land gains momentum, and the beach heads retaken. The invasion fails.  Ike takes the blame, resigns, and is sent back to the U.S. in disgrace. The Churchill government in thrown into a panic, and is toppled. The Labor Party takes over with the promise of peace. The English people are sick of the war, and call for an armistice.

President Roosevelt has no choice but to go along and sign a separate armistice with Germany. The Germans demand that all the Lend-lease that is going to Russia be stopped immediately, and go to Germany instead. The Germans tell the President that if he doesn't do it, the East coast cities, will be bombed with a new type of weapon, the atom bomb (that they don't have any is beside the point). The next day flights of Me-264's are spotted flying above New York, Boston, Washington, and Norfolk Virginia. The Americans quickly cave-in to the demand.

When the Russians find out what happened they go ballistic. They see the separate armistice as a stab in the back, and a conspiracy to corrupt the revolution. They still need the goods produced by America, but where to get them?

The Japanese government reacts the same way, accusing the Germans of selling them out to the U.S. They drop out of the Pact of Steel, but need resources to continue the war, but where to get them?

The Russian, and Japanese governments start talking to each other. A deal is worked out in which the Russians will provide the raw materials, and the Japanese will produce them in their factories in Korea, Mongolia, and Siberia. A whole new realignment of the power blocs takes place.

In my warped world, it's the Anglo-Germans vs. Russo-Sino.

Just my thinking in a nut shell.

Anyway, I textured the entire hull of the Hood yesterday. It snowed here again, so I had to do something. Since all the conversion work is done with I should be able to put it together pretty quick. Enjoy the pics.

Offline uarkram

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2015, 06:59:50 AM »
Chugging right along. Should get this done by the weekend.

I think it looks Bad-A**!

Mark

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2015, 07:13:08 AM »
What a beast! 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline uarkram

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2015, 08:55:53 AM »

Badd A**ed Brothers.

Mark