Author Topic: 1/72 Fokker Pfeil  (Read 4569 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
1/72 Fokker Pfeil
« on: September 06, 2014, 11:14:20 PM »
While Anthony Fokker was able to devise the first true interrupter gear, unfortunately it was doomed by poor metallurgy which caused the mechanism to fail with fatal results. Die Fliegertruppen des deutschen Kaiserreiches (German Imperial Air Service) was desperate to claim air superiority and Fokker was desperate to maintain his good name. The only answer was to re-engineer his Eindecker in a pusher configuration so the all important machine gun could be aimed along with the aircraft.

The radical new fighter was dubbed the Fokker Pfeil or Arrow given its javelin-like appearance. Test flights were successful but it remained to be seen how the new prototype would fair in combat against the enemy.

A dashing, mysterious pilot, one Rittmeister Rückwärts volunteered to take the new Fokker fighter on its first combat patrol.

With the blessing of his superiors, a flight plan was worked out.

Unfortunately, Rittmeister Rückwärts' sense of direction would prove to be the Fokker Pfeil's undoing.

The aircraft performed flawlessly, but pilots failed again and again to meet the enemy. They were so used to tractor aircraft that they were unable to fly the new pusher in the correct direction.

This led to failure and financial ruin for Anthony Fokker who was forced to move back to Holland and take a job as a mechanic for the Tilt-A-Whirl ride at the Amsterdam Kiddie Fair, his too-far-ahead-of-its-time fighter all but forgotten.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 11:17:19 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: 1/72 Fokker Pfeil
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 11:38:24 PM »
This all started with the venerable 1/72 Revell Fokker EIII which I picked up on the cheap.

One can practically smell the cordite and oil from that stirring box art! The kit itself is a very simple affair.

Unfortunately, mine was missing the engine, cowling & prop, probably swiped for another project, but doggone if I know which. Fortunately, a Fokker D.VIII was happy to donate replacements. The modifications were fairly simple as these things go. I only had to saw off the wings and glue them on in the opposite direction and then attach the former tailplanes backwards to make the canards. A lone, beefy V strut and spare wheels made up the front landing gear and a couple of pieces of carved sprue formed the skid protecting the prop. Finally, a rudder post was cut from card to which the rudder was glued and the assembly attached on top of what used to be the nose but was now the tail.

Oh no! Did the Fokker Pfeil crash? No, just my attempt at an overhead shot. Below is what the uderside looks like.

The model was brush-painted by hand in acrylics, Poly Scale Italian Green and Hopper Car Beige mostly. The model is rigged with busted steel guitar strings. I hope you enjoyed my Fokker Pfeil and the story of the mysterious Rittmeister Rückwärts.

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 03:20:57 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 05:21:29 AM »
That's like that perspective picture of the staircases where you can't tell which way they're going, useful for sneak attacks too.  Great stuff matey and a super back story too.

Offline MaxHeadroom

• The man has built a jet Stuka, need we say more?
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 06:58:46 AM »
grin

N.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 12:52:57 PM »
Just marvellous

Offline uncle les

• Aussie Whiffer Extraordinaire!
  • The man behind the models of the same name...
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 01:49:20 PM »
Verrrry interestingg

...gives me ideas that does
nice one
 :)

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 12:04:07 AM »
Nice canard one! :-*

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 11:12:24 PM »
Looks great, Brian! Better than camouflage - That brief pause when the opposing pilot is trying to figure out which way the plane is going is just enough time to get into shooting position!