Author Topic: M3A1 Half-Track  (Read 14266 times)

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
Re: M3A1 Half-Track
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2012, 06:33:59 AM »
What GTX said !!

The crazier the better !

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2012, 06:40:52 AM »
well werebob,
             the howitzer ain't anywhere near big enough for my liking :icon_nif:

but that "Ontos"-˝trak certainly has potential for small countries that want more bang for their buck !! ;)
       4 x Bazookas beat 4x .50 cal anytime !

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2012, 11:42:53 AM »
All these are great.  Eating it up.  Please post more if you have some.  So much you can do with a half-track.   :)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 05:15:49 AM »
Holy mackerel! The man's building an army!!!

This so hits eleventy on the cool-meter!

Brian da Basher

wererbob

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 08:27:45 AM »
Thanks for all the positive comments guys. I appreciate them.

I'm getting down to the freaks, you know stuff I don't have 10 of. :)

This M35 is pretty much straight from the kit with the customary gray paint job. The embarked unit is one of a dozen or so similar units. I've gone with a sort of what-if theme to the army. In the middle of WWII evil aliens have landed and the axis and allies are working together to fight them off. I opted not to use the Sci-Fi heads that 40K uses and ordered in  aftermarket gas mask heads as replacements. Wanted them to look like gas mas wearing germans in some sort of metallic flak armor.

These king tigers a and they are the super heavy Baneblade tanks of the 40K universe. A single shot can wipe out a squad of  guys, easily destroy an enemy vehicle or pulverize a horde of aliens. They only make appearances in the largest of games, so far I've only ever used one at a time. The model got the standard gray paint job. I added a co-axial mounted gun to the turret, a demolisher cannon (secondary main gun) to the hull and a couple heavy bolters (big machine guns) to the hull. Not entirely happy with the extra guns, they were all scratch built and I've learned quite a bit since I built them. Someday I'll go back and improve them but since they rarely see the field it's way down the priority list.

Who else could control german troops driving around in american 1/2 tracks but a Russian Kommander with a giant hammer and a habit of shooting troops that don't do what they're told. This is Kommander Sorscha, she's multi-part resin model from the Warmachine game system. Even though it's from the wrong game system and I hate painting faces the model was too cool to pass up.

Oh and I forgot to mention the king tigers are actually motorized. Scale model King tiger with decent details and a battery powered motor for $10 each, how could I go wrong?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 09:35:49 AM by werebob »

wererbob

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 09:15:43 PM »
What's an army without an air force?

Before the planes enthusiasts get out the torches and pitchforks, no real models were harmed in the making of this air force. They were mostly old hobbycraft models that I assembled a very long time ago. Glue on canopies, really bad paint jobs ...... basically junk that sitting 1/2 broken in a box.

Took out the models and tracked down as many part as I could find. I made a gas mask wearing pilot for every plane that had a canopy off. Painted them all the standard gray paint scheme. Since they're supposed to be futuristic 40K Thunderbolt fighters (no relation to WWII Thunderbolts of the same name) I added 4 autocannons and 2 lascannons to the wings. In real world speak autocannons can take out everything except the heaviest tanks and the lascannon can take out anything. The planes end up being flying AT guns.

They're still a WIP. The canopies supports need to be painted (I'm not at that painting skill level yet). They planes all look a little plain, I need to figure out a way to make a really small stencil to give them some better marking. Lastly the bases need to be finished. A giant silver disk with 'Dexter season 1 E1-4' doesn't exactly blend into the battlefield. :)

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 09:20:49 PM by werebob »

Offline ChrisF

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 11:34:14 PM »
To be fair if you framed up those canopies thats all you'd need... The building is spot on just like your other stuff and i like the moody paint job !

Keep em coming !  :)

wererbob

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2012, 08:27:14 PM »
Decided to put a R+D time into one of the flamer tanks.  Added an igniter to the end of the barrel, extended it directly in front of the barrel to ensure it can't be mistaken for anything else but a flamer. Scratch built a fuel trailer and added a magnetic hitch to the back of the tank.  Still not sure about this the trailer something seems off.

The trailer tank is a yellow kinder-egg container and the wheels from an ATV for the local dollar store. A wire hose runs under the hitch to the bottom of the trailer tank. Maybe once I give it a proper paint job and decals it will grow on me. :)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2012, 09:15:46 PM »
Wow now you've got an entire air force!

And with those great guns, that air force will have no problems defending your skies!

Brian da Basher

wererbob

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2012, 07:06:47 AM »
Managed to finished the Sherman flamer (Hellhound) moved the fuel hose higher and added straps to make it look a little more realistic. Painted it a bronzish color to make it stand out.

New project:

I've decided I needed an air cav option for my troops so I purchased 3 of these models:

This Huey (or Valkyrie as it's know in the 1st Hoira) could end up going up against another human army in traditional warfare but could just as easily take on 30 foot tall burrowing bugs in a scene from Starship Troopers. Typically the crew and troops of a Valkyrie squad are short-lived. They drop in behind enemy lines to take out vital targets and then have to fight a battle of survival to make it back to their own lines. To fight with the a Valkyrie squad in the 1st Hoira you must know no fear.

Was going to enter the 3 of them in the group build for the Falkland islands. The Huey was in the Argentine army at the time but the laser cannon would be stretching the what-if a little too far. Although if they had laser cannon the Brits would of had a tough time of it. :)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2012, 07:28:48 AM »
That Sherman looks fantastic
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline ChrisF

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2012, 07:48:08 AM »
Lovin the Huey !!

Sorry Valkyrie !!
 :)

wererbob

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2012, 08:12:57 AM »
Thanks guys.

It was nice to finally get the prototype flamer trailer finished. Such a simple scratch build but  I still had to tear it apart 4 times to get it right.

Huey was interesting to build, it was my first time having to deal with windows. Yes interesting is the best word I can think of.
Still have 2 more Hueys to master my window installation on.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2012, 02:59:58 AM »
Wow your details and paintwork really make that flame-throwing Sherman believable!

That "black ops" Huey is a treat too!

Brian da Basher

Offline japsubshunter

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2014, 10:06:46 PM »
I just luv the magnet ideas and the options for variations - Now that would make a whole load of sense to me -