Author Topic: F-16 Inspirations & Ideas  (Read 140815 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: F-16 Inspirations & Ideas
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2013, 05:22:59 AM »
What about an operational version of the original F-16A, I.e. one that was equipped for daylight only operations.  Maybe even in Israeli service as a replacement for the likes of the Mirage 5?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2013, 05:34:22 AM »
 :)

Funny you say. 

Yesterday I was eyeing my old red, white, and blue Monogram F-16 with that very idea in mind.    Covering the canopy with a canvas, since everyone knows what that looks like anyway, would take care of the the kit's biggest ''detail'' shortcoming.    The nose is somewhat more pointed than other 1/48 kits and as far as wheel wells go, I'm rarely turning my kits upside down for an annual gender physical.    Besides IDF, New Zealand went through my mind for a dark green option.   

Edited for accuracy.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 06:23:44 AM by Daryl J. »
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2013, 06:52:08 AM »
Love the idea of a RNZAF F-16 in the scheme of their A-4KAHUs

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2013, 07:10:38 AM »
Link to someone's kit and credit given to that builder and/or photographer:

Like this?

Mods I'll be happy to pull this post if I've accidentally stepped outside legal bounds.   :)
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2013, 07:13:36 AM »
Exactly.  No need to pull photo either.

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2013, 08:35:50 AM »
For a non-radar pointy nose F-16 variant: 

IR sidewinders on the wing tips
Underwing fuel
Goodrich DB-110 EO/IR pod on the midline.
Whatever engine/intake combination gives the highest speed.
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2013, 08:46:59 AM »
What about an operational version of the original F-16A, I.e. one that was equipped for daylight only operations.  Maybe even in Israeli service as a replacement for the likes of the Mirage 5?
A Winslow Wheller special?

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2013, 09:07:32 AM »
 ;D
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2013, 12:43:07 PM »
For a non-radar pointy nose F-16 variant: 

IR sidewinders on the wing tips
Underwing fuel
Goodrich DB-110 EO/IR pod on the midline.
Whatever engine/intake combination gives the highest speed.
There was a variable ramp inlet designed but, to the best of my knowledge, never built nor flight tested.  Such an inlet would allow you to get up to Mach 2.5 or 2.8.  Any higher would require material replacement to handle the thermal loads.

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2013, 12:51:05 PM »
Variable ramp inlet......
I know nothing.   :icon_crap:

Would that be akin to what is seen on a J-10S or Eurofighter?

kwyxdxLg5T

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2013, 12:56:03 PM »
Yeah, but it worked with the F-16's intake geometry.  It's been ages since I saw the drawing, but the most noticeable difference was the lower portion extended farther forward than the upper portion with the boundary layer diverter.  It looked somewhat like a fieri inlet.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2013, 05:32:37 PM »
Random Idea:  Brazilian F-16...maybe second hand ones instead of the Mirage 2000s they have?

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2013, 09:05:09 PM »
Yeah, but it worked with the F-16's intake geometry.  It's been ages since I saw the drawing, but the most noticeable difference was the lower portion extended farther forward than the upper portion with the boundary layer diverter.  It looked somewhat like a fieri inlet.

So really just an upside-down regular ramp then    -----

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2013, 02:00:59 AM »

Some what, the side contours and cut were different.  Consider an upside-down squished Vigilante inlet.  The upside-down aspect is a function of where they could put the actuators for the variable internal ramp while working with the existing flow path.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2013, 03:22:11 AM »

Some what, the side contours and cut were different.  Consider an upside-down squished Vigilante inlet.  The upside-down aspect is a function of where they could put the actuators for the variable internal ramp while working with the existing flow path.

and the nose u/c gear perhaps ---

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #115 on: October 11, 2013, 12:23:43 PM »
I am normally a fan of special event markings or paint schemes for military aircraft but I felt this one had to be shared since it is such a fabulous scheme ;)

Revell 1/72 F-16C Block 52 Fighting Falcon Kit Build Review by Chuck Holte

Click on html or thumbnail to view at CyberModeler.

Not sure if they are trying to do a flame job or tiger stripes or a combination of both.  Certainly flashy. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2013, 02:54:00 PM »
It is real:
F-16C # 87-0241 of the Colorado ANG 120FS/140WG at Buckley AFB. This paint job was applied for the "Tiger Meet of the Americas" in August of 2001.

http://www.f-16.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=10714

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2013, 12:59:31 AM »
It is real:
F-16C # 87-0241 of the Colorado ANG 120FS/140WG at Buckley AFB. This paint job was applied for the "Tiger Meet of the Americas" in August of 2001.

http://www.f-16.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=10714

I was aware of that, just wanted to share the link so others could enjoy the scale model of the subject since it looks like a combination of flames and tiger stripes so it is not the usual tiger meet livery that you normally see on the aircraft for that event. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 01:01:02 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Nexus1171

• SC
  • I go by many names...you may know one...
« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2013, 07:29:13 AM »
I have a bunch of ideas

I:  Lightweight design stays lightweight

Notes: The YF-16 was only like 20,500 pounds gross; the production model weighed 26,500
  • Bomb load stays the same as the YF-16 (Less bomb-load means less aircraft weight to support it)
  • Radar, RWR's added (uncertain as to weight increase)
  • Wings are enlarged as necessary to maintain the necessary wing-loading
The idea would be to not add too much weight to the aircraft, the only additions being the radar and electronics as well as possibly some wing enlargements: I don't know if extra fuel would be needed to maintain an adequate fuel fraction interestingl; It would ultimately be a better fighter, while not a bomb-truck -- it could do plenty of bruising and killing as it was designed to.

II: Redesigned LERX by F-16A Stage

Notes: The YF-16 was prone to a deep-stall, as would it's later F-16 models.  This occurred because despite noting a deep-stall tendency on the full-scale test-model; they ignored it in favor of a small scale test model.  While it would have been preferable for the modification to have been made from the outset, it would be fine if it was made by the production stage (In fact it could be better because once you win the contract, you can do whatever you want)
  • The chine would be shortened back to the position of either the canopy rim, the HUD, or the cockpit position
  • The chine would be similar to the YF-16/F-16A where it forms out of the wing, but would be broader and rounded off similar to the YF-17 or F-18
  • Unsure if the chine would need to be thinned or given conical camber any of the way down
  • AoA meter modified to display exact degrees of alpha like the F-15
This would allow the plane to even pull a cobra maneuver; having an alpha limiter would be good for most maneuvers, but frankly, the ability to jack the alpha up to a cobra would be very useful in combat with the limiter able to be turned off. 

Comments: Unsure what effect this would have on acceleration and sustained turning performance across the airspeed and mach-number range; preferably the plane would be kept light like the first concept I illustrated (i.e. the plane's mass kept as close to the LWF as possible with no extra bomb-loads)

III: Redesigned Inlet

Notes: The F-16 was admittedly capable of speeds in excess of Mach 2, but by the accounts of F-104 pilots it was about 300 knots slower (The F-104 could also fly supersonic without burner; technically the prototype could slip through without an afterburner using the J65); considering the fact that the aircraft had flaps that could deflect up producing inverse camber, was naturally unstable and did have substantial supersonic agility, supersonic cruise should be do-able provided a better inlet existed
  • While some supersonic inlets can affect acceleration negatively, not all do
  • The F-104 used a half-cone inlet which was purposefully oversized: The excess air was directed around the engine at all speeds to cool the engine and improve exhaust nozzle efficiency; more air was directed around as the speed went up
  • The XF8U-3 used a fixed inlet with some air skimmed off the sides of the scoop; some skimmed off by a set of louvers at the top of it; some of that flow was dumped by bypass doors along the side of the plane; some airflow went around the engine
  • A ramp similar to the F-16/79 could be incorporated, provided it was appropriately scaled for the airflow requirements of the F100 engine (with bypass vents on the sides, undersides if necessary to deal with airflow issues at higher mach)
Comments/Notes: The easiest approach would be an inlet shape similar to the F-16/79 scaled appropriately to the F100 with bypass vents if necessary on the undersides/sides/both if needed (Still a flattened half cone and/or a Ferri type would look pretty damned slick, though not necessarily as practical)

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2013, 09:50:31 AM »
Navalized F-16

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #120 on: November 12, 2013, 05:05:14 PM »
Interesting.  Certainly different to the real world proposal back on Pg 5 of this thread.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #121 on: November 13, 2013, 09:40:35 AM »
Ha! That's a tricky one  :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Online LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #122 on: December 10, 2013, 09:40:35 PM »
I've added an older Tamiya F-16 to the stash to become my F-16XL, but I'm running into an issue; it's a left half/right half fuselage breakdown and I'm trying to figure out how to cut it in order to add the additional plugs/length to match the XL three view I have.  Any suggestions?

Offline Talos

• First candidate for the BTS Gulag...
  • It's riveting!
« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2013, 02:48:12 AM »
I've added an older Tamiya F-16 to the stash to become my F-16XL, but I'm running into an issue; it's a left half/right half fuselage breakdown and I'm trying to figure out how to cut it in order to add the additional plugs/length to match the XL three view I have.  Any suggestions?

This is something I researched a couple years ago for an operational F-16XL profile drawing I was working on. Need to go back sometime and finish it...

This is a quote from F-16.net that shows how the real plane was modified. Be careful to note that the bottom rear plug was different length compared to the top plug, causing the rear fuselage to be angled upwards.

The fuselage was lengthened with 56 inches (142 cm) to 54 feet 1.86 inches by 'inserting' 2 new fuselage sections at the junctions between the three main fuselage sub-assemblies: one 26 inch (66 cm) section was inserted at the rear split point, and a 30 inch (76 cm) section at the front one. However, the rear 26in section, was not a continuous segment from the bottom to the top. Below the wing, a 26 inch segment was inserted just aft of the main landing gear, above the wing the segment was still 26 inches long, but inserted 26 inches farther aft than the segment below the wing. This made the section look like a backward "Z". The fuselage lengthening enabled the tail section to be canted up 3 degrees, necessary to prevent the engine nozzle from striking the runway during take off and landing.

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions_article1.html

You can see the location of the plugs here in the attached picture. SCAMP is roughly the same as F-16XL, the big difference is the tail, which was supposed to be a normal F-16 horizontal tailplane converted into an all-moving vertical tail.

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #124 on: December 11, 2013, 03:07:24 AM »
I like compact airplanes: