Author Topic: Luftwaffe Dornier Do 635 - 1946  (Read 13660 times)

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
Luftwaffe Dornier Do 635 - 1946
« on: January 16, 2012, 06:10:58 AM »
Oberleutnant  Lt. Ignaz Bernhard Niemand (Ibby to his friends) of the RLM Special Projects Division doodled idly on the scratch pad located centrally on his messy desk. He was thinking of his long overdue vacation in the Alps when he heard footsteps in the hall. One set of boots? No two. No three sets. This is not good he thought to himself.

One visitor means a quick chat on a current project. Two visitors means we need your opinion Three visitors means you are big trouble at the RLM.

A sharp knock was heard. He was never given an opportunity to acknowledge the knock which was immediately followed by an opening door. In walked his boss, Major Seiber, his superior offizer, a Hauptmann with pilot’s wings and an Oberst he has never seen before.

Oh oh thought Ibby, Ich bin in der scheiße. They stopped, looked around his office which was strew with engineering diagrams 20cm thick on every flat surface, you could not tell what colour his walls were as every square metre was covered with some type of drawing.  Wind tunnel models hung from the ceiling.

A snort of disgust was issued by the Oberst. The Hauptmann smiled. Major Seiber stared at his boots.

Major Seiber cleared his throat and broke the awkward silence. Ibby, we have a problem and need your help. This caught Ibby completely off guard. A blank look of astonishment on his face was approval to proceed.

The Oberst spoke for the first time. Oberleuntant Niemand, the STZ division has developed a new radar and air-to-air missile which we believe will change airwar forever.  We need to test this new combination in an aircraft which can carry both radar and the missiles.

I never heard of the STZ division. I need to go to the offizer's club more often and get a few friends drunk on Peach Schnaps.

Okay thought Ibby. Oberst, has not the JU-88 which has been modified to carry the FuG240 “Berlin” be the preferred aircraft.

For the FuG240, yes but this new radar is 90 CM in diameter. As well the missiles are of a unique design. And we do not want this technology to fall into the hands of allies so we feed a fast and reliable aircraft. The JU-88 is too slow and not big enough for our needs. 

90 CM!!!! Der liebe Gott! That is huge. Oberst, we do not have a airborne radar which has a dish that large. And what about the missiles? What do they look like? What is different about this combination? I thought all our air to air missiles were wire guided? Niemand was greeted with silence.

Oberleuntant, how it works it is no concern of yours. All we need from you is a flying platform which can hold the new radar, two of the new missiles and be able to out-run any allied aircraft it may encounter.

The Oberst looked at the Hauptmann who spoke for the first time.  Oberleuntant, I am a test pilot assigned to the RLM and will be flying the new aircraft. I have flown most Luftwaffe aircraft including the JU-88, Me 210/410, Do 335, Me 1101 and Me 1111. I am sure I can fly whatever you design.

Quatsch! There goes my vacation plans.

To be continued ......

From the diseased mind of Carl, here is Ibby's design.  Please excuse the excess of tape. I'm still trial fitting the pieces.

Any guesses on the donor kits? I have not added all the final components. ;D

« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 09:42:46 AM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
Re: Luftwaffe Dornier Do 635 - 1946
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 07:10:16 AM »
I like it ! Its got nearly a Comet Racer look from the side... :)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 03:41:31 PM »
Intriguing...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 06:09:10 PM »
That looks the business it does, very nice indeed!  8) As for donor kits let me be the first to make an idiot of myself, I think there is a Do 355 Pfiel in the body, an Me 210 Hornisse (or 410, I cant tell them apart) in the wings and nacelles, and perhaps something else in the nose but what I haven't the foggiest!
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 06:43:41 PM »
MM:

You are correct on all accounts. The wings are from a Italeri Me 210 I got as trade. The nose is from the Airfix B-57B/RB-57E. I used the B-57B nose as the cross section of the Do 335 is circular and scale wise is 1.1 Metres. My Do 335 fuselage is a left over from my Gloster Meteor PR.1 project

Surprisingly the wings fit quite well. I needed to trim back the fuselage-wing fairing on the Do 335 and cutout a part of the Me 210 wing but otherwise a good fit.  Some Styrene sheet filler and PSR are required but it will be unseen underneath the wing.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 06:45:35 PM by The Big Gimper »

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 11:57:18 PM »
Utterly brilliant! This might just be the coolest three-engined aircraft ever devised!
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline sequoiaranger

• Gone but not forgotten. He already has a team of angels working up his bench in the sky!
  • Holding Pattern
  • E Pluribus Unum (modeling style)
Trimotor?
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 01:06:42 AM »
>Utterly brilliant!  This might just be the coolest three-engined aircraft ever devised! <

I like it! Trimotors were nearly exclusive to Italy, so maybe fasces on the wings....??

(PS--A real Luftwaffe project had the number Do-635 assigned to it. It was to be a twinned Do-335, a great whif to try in its own right!)
My mind is like a compost heap--fertile AND rotten!

Offline tc2324

• Just slightly on the edge of madness......!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 01:13:41 AM »
Loving the look of this.

Anymore donor parts added yet??
Whiffing is for Life...., not just for Christmas!!!

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 05:04:39 AM »
SR: DOH!!! How could I miss the 635.    :-[ 
http://www.hsgalleries.com/gallery04/do635mb_1.htm

tc2324: This is the bulk of the pieces. I will add drop tanks and missiles.

Okay, it is now the Do 735. 
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal9/8301-8400/gal8336-Do-735-Mallinson/00.shtm
Oops, Maybe not?

Or should it be the Do 835?
http://bispro.deviantart.com/art/Dornier-Do-835-Libelle-203404207
Oops, Maybe not?

Or should it be it the Do 935?

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 05:17:48 AM »
Dead clever! It's amazing what a close fit those wings are.
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 06:00:56 AM »
AP: I was first going to use Do 217 wings from an old Italeri kit and then I noticed it has raised panels line while the Do 335 are engraved. I couldn't live with that so I went hunting through the stash and sure enough, the Me 210/410 wings have a thick chord like the Do 335 but a shorter length.

In my wing swaps, I prefer to have the chord thickness the same, I can live with a shorter length.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 06:09:21 AM »
The lower aspect ratio gives the Pfeil a brutish appearance (to my eye, anyway). The Hornisse wings just makes 'er look faster!

BTW, is there still going to be a pusher prop in the tail?  :icon_surprised:

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 06:18:21 AM »
AP: Yes, am going to keep the pusher prop.  Another project could be swept wing each with a pusher and no nose prop. That would be cool.

Greg (GTX_admin), do you have Do 335 blank that you could morph into a 3 engine pusher?

Offline apophenia

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 06:22:13 AM »
TBG: Yes, a swept wing Pfeil with a pusher-prop only would indeed be cool!

Offline sotoolslinger

• A World Champion Blackbelt in Putty-Foo…the man means business (just look at his photo!)
  • Look at the banner and you will see his work.
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 07:00:36 AM »
That is going to be freakin awesome. :o Very much looking forward to this. :-*

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 04:09:25 PM »

Greg (GTX_admin), do you have Do 335 blank that you could morph into a 3 engine pusher?

I might be able to help - will probably need to wait until this weekend though since the next few days are shocking for me at work.

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 07:26:18 PM »
Very interesting.. keep it up

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 09:59:30 PM »
brilliant!
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 10:55:42 PM »
Brilliant idea!!! :-*

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 04:19:00 AM »
Carl ….. Carl …..

Wake up honey. It’s Saturday.

I open my gummy eyes to sight of SWMBO standing over me with a hot cup of coffee and a Xacto knife with a fresh #11 blade, glistening in the morning sun light.

I bolt up. What the .... ??

Good morning sweet heart. How are you this wonderful day?  It is such a perfect day for building your models.

Okay. I’m dead. There can be no other logical answer. I hope it was a quick and clean one.

Dear, I've spent some time visiting your wonderful BTS forum and now I see how respected you are by your modeling friends for your imagination and innovative ideas. I feel so bad not letting spend more time building your models.

So today, dear, you can stay in your favourite paint smeared modelling pajamas and hoody and build to your heart’s content.

I’ll take kids to their Soccer games, make lunch and supper so you can spend all day in your man cave cutting your fingers open and sniffing glue.

I get up, run to the kitchen, open my wallet and check which city I live in: Ottawa. For a moment there I thought I was in Stepford, Connecticut.

Okay, I guess this is for real. I grab my coffee, Xacto knife and head off to the basement.

I pick up my long neglected Do 635 now 935 and get cracking. Finish the painting cockpits, glue the fuselages halves together, coffee refill, PSR, add the nose, PSR, add the other fuselage bits, lunch is served PSR, work on the Ar 424B2 wings, back to the Do 935, add the wings, PSR, dinner is delivered right to the man cave, add the styrene sheets to build up the new section under the fuselage ….

Zaaa Zaaa Zaaa …..

My alarm.  Whoa!!! I look around. Dark outside: Saturday, 6 AM. Dog, Kids and SWMBO are still asleep. Dirty dishes are in the sink.  Man, what a nightmare.

I make my morning Joe, head to the man cave, and open the door and there sitting on my work bench is what I find …..

You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of contorted plastic models.  A  journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the BTS Zone!

Epilog:

I'm please that I do not have to do much blending of the Do 335 and Me 210 wings. I think I can get away with no work in the upper surfaces.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 04:42:04 AM »
Wow!!!  That looks great - I also just realised that I still owed you that profile.  Do you still want it or is it superfluous now? :-[

Great story too.  Though I was a bit afraid when you said you woke up and SWMBO had a knife...I was afraid your latest acquisitions had been discovered and you were about to make some blood donations...

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 05:05:26 AM »
Wow!!!  That looks great - I also just realised that I still owed you that profile.  Do you still want it or is it superfluous now? :-[

No worries Greg. It's been almost 11 months since I did any work on this build so lets call a draw.  >:D

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 12:57:29 AM »
This is way cool! She looks like one tough bird, just has a nice solid look to her.  :-*
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2015, 10:14:56 PM »
Cool concept! :-*

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2015, 01:18:02 AM »
Thanks to have made this thread live again, as I had not seen it before.
Well, according to "official Historians", the "true" Do 635 was a Do 335Z, like the Me 609 was a Me 309Z, but I have checked further and... yes, there was a 3-engined single fuselage Do 635! And the Do 635Z was twin-fuselage of course, with 6 engines, thanks again!