Author Topic: LF: 72nd scale F-101 Voodoo Fuel Tank Parts  (Read 2983 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
LF: 72nd scale F-101 Voodoo Fuel Tank Parts
« on: August 10, 2012, 08:50:27 PM »
I'm looking for a couple of 1/72 F-101 under-fuselage drop tanks, I thought I had a pair but I can't find them in the usual places I keep stuff like that.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: LF: 72nd scale F-101 Voodoo Fuel Tank Parts
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 11:43:54 AM »
I'm looking for a couple of 1/72 F-101 under-fuselage drop tanks, I thought I had a pair but I can't find them in the usual places I keep stuff like that.
Does it matter what version of the F-101.  I think I've got a F-101B in the local stash that I could raid from.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 09:35:50 PM »
Does it matter what version of the F-101.  I think I've got a F-101B in the local stash that I could raid from.

Nope! the 101B ones would work better into my story Evan, they'd be for my Turbo-Prop Sunderland project ---

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 12:15:29 AM »
Nope! the 101B ones would work better into my story Evan, they'd be for my Turbo-Prop Sunderland project ---

What about the drop tanks from the C-130?  Almost every C-130 kit has these things included.  While the same scale tanks would be in the 1000 gallon/3800 Litre capacity there is the option of finding a 1/144th scale tank for your purposes.  You can also expand your search to include 1/48th scale tanks that could pass for what you are looking for that are included with the Monogram F-84F Thunderstreak kit.  These are the tanks that were to be mounted on the outboard wing pylons and are included in both flavors of the F-84F kit (nuke or the conventional bomber).  A similar shaped tank was also used by the F-100 for ferry flights. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 12:20:19 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 01:24:57 AM »

What about the drop tanks from the C-130?  Almost every C-130 kit has these things included.  While the same scale tanks would be in the 1000 gallon/3800 Litre capacity there is the option of finding a 1/144th scale tank for your purposes.  You can also expand your search to include 1/48th scale tanks that could pass for what you are looking for that are included with the Monogram F-84F Thunderstreak kit.  These are the tanks that were to be mounted on the outboard wing pylons and are included in both flavors of the F-84F kit (nuke or the conventional bomber).  A similar shaped tank was also used by the F-100 for ferry flights.

I was looking at "1/72" C-130 tanks Jeff, didn't think about 1/144 ones so that might be something to look at.  What I'm after is a shortish fat tank with parallel sides like a C-130 tank and I thought if I could get some F-101 tanks it would work quite well.  Plus as the RCAF used the F-101B there would be many 'surplus to requirement' which would be around the time line for the turbo-prop installation I was thinking about.  I looked at some 600 Gal F-4 tanks too and some Hunter 200 Gal but they don't quite fit the bill.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 01:52:25 AM »

I was looking at "1/72" C-130 tanks Jeff, didn't think about 1/144 ones so that might be something to look at.  What I'm after is a shortish fat tank with parallel sides like a C-130 tank and I thought if I could get some F-101 tanks it would work quite well.  Plus as the RCAF used the F-101B there would be many 'surplus to requirement' which would be around the time line for the turbo-prop installation I was thinking about.  I looked at some 600 Gal F-4 tanks too and some Hunter 200 Gal but they don't quite fit the bill.

Brian might have a couple of the C-130 tanks in 1/144th scale.  I have a few of the 1/72nd scale C-130 tanks and it is no problem to set aside a couple for you. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 06:18:52 AM »

Cool!!  Let me know if/when you need them.  The F-101B is going for my F3H-3 "Super Demon" conversion and won't need them.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 11:45:06 PM »
Brian might have a couple of the C-130 tanks in 1/144th scale.  I have a few of the 1/72nd scale C-130 tanks and it is no problem to set aside a couple for you.

Hi Jeff, I've got a few spare sets of the 1/72 C-130 tanks in the stash too, so I don't think I need any more right now thanks.  I've sent an PM to Evan and he's going to look for the F-101 tanks, otherwise I might go with the 1/144 C-130 tank option.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 08:52:36 PM »
F-101 tanks resolved, Evan was able to help me out, thanks very much.  Just what I wanted.