Author Topic: Aussie A-7's  (Read 5081 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Aussie A-7's
« on: September 18, 2012, 07:49:18 AM »
More of an intention than an idea, & more of an idea than an inspiration.

As part of my evolving Royal Australian Marines time-line;

A-7D fitted out for a bit of weaseling with an EA-7K for electronic interdiction support.

I have the Hobby Boss A-7D in the stash & the Hobby Boss A-7K is in transit.

I'm looking at 2 x AIM-9's for each plane (late model... hints?).

The A-7D is going to have a combo of HE bombs (Mk 82's?) & (AGM-88) HARM's or AARGM's - I'm not sure what's in the kit & if I'll be able to just use them or if I need to buy extras.
The EA-7K is the twin-seater A-7K which I will modify to have an EA-6 style tail faring, lots of podded ECM &, possibly, an ALARM or two - just for kicks! ;)
The idea is that they'll both be loaded for bear - one explosively, the other electronically.

My vision for their camouflage is a little variable, right now, but seems to be loitering around muted browns & greens in a 3- or 4-tone wrap-around scheme, or a similar scheme involving a muted pale blue.

If anyone has some reasonably priced (free?) suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Aussie A-7's
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 08:21:38 AM »
Same camouflage scheme as the Canberra would be an excellent choice. 

72nd scale or 48th scale? 

As far as the ordnance goes you are headed in the right direction though, I would suggest substituting cluster bombs for the general purpose bombs on your A-7D.  Unless the bombs are set for an air-burst at optimum altitude above the target all you get is a hole in the ground and some superficial damage.  The cluster munitions were intended to shred equipment and personnel in addition to possibly setting off secondary explosions of unprotected ordnance and fuel stores. 

Depending on the time frame you could arm your EA-7K with the AGM-78 STARM in addition to fuel tanks and countermeasures pods. 

You could mount the weapons on your EA-7K in this configuration: ECM Pod | ARM | Fuel Tank | -(fuselage)-  | Fuel Tank | ARM | ECM Pod
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kengeorge

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 08:34:04 AM »
Here's my Suggestions,

1-Overwing or wingtip 'winders like 9X or python or A-Darter AAM

2-leave the fuselage rails for HARM's or ALARM's

for the A-7D

3-same for the EA-7K or wingtip ECM/decoy pods

4-replace the 7K's radome with an RF-4, only 'cos its looks better

5-stub AAM rails on the off-sides of the inboard pylons

6-LGB's instead of iron bombs

Ken...

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 10:14:53 PM »
Thanks, guys!

1/48th scale, Jeff.

Era is probably late-90's/early-00's; possibly supporting Australia's land-based contribution (in this time-line) to the Iraq conflict by taking out Iraqi anti-air assets for USN/RAF anti-armour or anti-airfield strikes ahead of the RAM's advancing ground forces.

Not overly keen on over-wing stores - personal aesthetic choice, there.

Is the A-7 fitted for wing-tip stores? I'm no expert & I don't want to spend much more than the cost of the kits - which I haven't fully investigated, yet, so I don't really know what they come with.
(SWMBO would go spare! :o )

If I do need to buy any extras, do you know what they would be or where I can get them at a reasonable price on-line?

Build wont really begin for a few months, minimum (I have one in progress & at least one more to follow before I start this, & my build speed is glacial) but any help in pre-organising will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 02:18:29 AM »
I have a pair of the A-7K kits in the stash. 

A-7K Corsair II in-box review from BritModeller

Large images showing the parts sprues. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kengeorge

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 02:38:09 AM »
Here is some more inspiration for you, http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,11.0/all.html

Hope this help's

Ken...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:40:25 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 06:07:50 AM »
Thanks for the assist, guys, especially the email, Jeff - I'm still processing that. Much appreciated!

Guy

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 06:25:59 AM »
Thanks for the assist, guys, especially the email, Jeff - I'm still processing that. Much appreciated!

Guy

Glad to be of assistance.  :)

The HB A-7D/A-7K kits have a lot of weapons included and that certainly helps in tailoring your load outs for each aircraft. 

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 01:41:02 PM »

Is the A-7 fitted for wing-tip stores? I'm no expert & I don't want to spend much more than the cost of the kits - which I haven't fully investigated, yet, so I don't really know what they come with.
(SWMBO would go spare! :o )

The A-7 certainly isn't fitted with wing tip stores, that's why it has the sidewinder rails on the fuselage.

I remember a few years ago, I was working on a RAF A-7 project on the premise that the Sepecat Jaguar never saw RAF service for some reason. Though I never finished the project, it was going to be for about the same time period you're aiming for.

I used the Italieri/Esci 1/72 A-7E as base and took some stores from Airfix's Sepecat Jaguar which was reboxed as a Gr.3 in 2004. The base Jaguar kit is a bit long in the tooth, but is all still in the box along with a new sprue to cover Gr.3 gear. As such, my A-7 was going to be armed this way:

Phimat pod (Jaguar kit, new sprue)
2x BL755 on twin carrier (Jaguar kit, old sprues)
Fuel tank (A-7 kit)
Sidewinder (A-7 kit)
fuselage
Sidewinder (A-7 kit)
Fuel tank (A-7 kit)
2x BL755 on twin carrier (Jaguar kit, old sprues)
ALQ-101 pod (Jaguar kit, new sprue)

The old sprues of the Airfix Jaguar also have four 1000 pound British standard GP bombs that could be used in place of the BL755 units.

That fit might be a bit on the British side for an Australian machine, but the Airfix kit can usually be had for not too much money and I've seen it regularly pop up on ebay.
Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 11:22:47 AM »
Here's my Suggestions,

1-Overwing or wingtip 'winders like 9X or python or A-Darter AAM

2-leave the fuselage rails for HARM's or ALARM's

for the A-7D

3-same for the EA-7K or wingtip ECM/decoy pods

4-replace the 7K's radome with an RF-4, only 'cos its looks better

5-stub AAM rails on the off-sides of the inboard pylons

6-LGB's instead of iron bombs

Ken...

Where can one find, in either 1/72 or 1/48, AIM-9X or A-Darter AAMs?

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 02:47:05 PM »
A-Darter, I don't know, but AIM-9X can be found in...

1/72
Hasegawa: F/A-18E/F and EA-18G, weapon set "Aircraft Weapons VIII: US Air-To-Air Missiles & Jamming Pods"
Revell (own toolings): F/A-18E and F-22
Academy: F-16C (new) and F-22

1/48
Hasegawa: F/A-18E/F and EA-18G, F-22, weapon set "U.S. Aircraft Weapons E: AAM & Target Pods"
Revell: F/A-18E/F (own toolings)
Academy: F-22 and the newer F-15 boxings with extra new parts

There may be more, but these are the ones I remember off the top of my head.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"