Author Topic: KAI T-50 Inspirations & Ideas  (Read 7534 times)

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
KAI T-50 Inspirations & Ideas
« on: March 28, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »

ROKAF's KAI T-50B:   IRIS-T's on the wing tip rails,  2 Meteors of different ranges under each wing, extra fuel.   If not Meteors, some original design antishipping missiles somewhat based on the Japanese ASM series.

Edited slightly for content.   
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 07:03:02 AM by Daryl J. »
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: KAI T-50 Inspirations & Ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 07:04:25 AM »
How about a carrier based version of the F-50 based on a CVL derived from the ROKS Dokdo?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 07:14:30 AM »
Given the Academy kit has a spare set of legs moulded in the in-flight position, one could fabricate the hook and anchor the kit to a carrier deck base just above the point of contact.   And since the Koreans are hoping to secure an American order, the aircraft could even be in US Navy markings.   
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 07:16:28 AM »
Interesting thought there.  T-50 as a Goashawk replacement.

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 07:20:36 AM »
In the R-W, they're competing for the T-X T-38 replacement program and it's up against the M-346, an all-new Boeing, and the Goshawk so it's a USAF thing.   But!  That is not here.   ;)

Edit:  With the knowledge base on this website, I'm rather preaching to the choir methinks!   :) ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 07:32:45 AM by Daryl J. »
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 07:29:37 AM »
Yeah fully aware.  The USAF comp probably provides the best opportunity for a major T-50 sale.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 12:38:17 PM »
Single-seat version of the A-50 with a gun nose?  We'd then come full circle as the engine and radar (AN/APG-67) used on the A-50 were originally developed for the F-20.  I could make an argument that only Northrop failed to profit from that program.

Seriously, I'd like to see the T-50 win the T-X competition and a navalized one supplement the Goshawk.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 12:37:03 PM by elmayerle »

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 12:59:37 PM »
Hmm...since the Morrocans wanted the F-20, there's a potential customer.
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 11:00:59 AM »
 Given the F-20 engine and radar, it wouldn't be an impossible task to convert a kit to a double tail as to "Northropize" the airframe further.
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 04:49:11 AM »
I wonder if it could hoist aloft some of the sensors/jammers of the EF-18 to better monitor and defend against Dennis Rodman's new 'friend'.
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 04:50:48 AM »
I have long thought about a T-50 as a mini-Growler with a couple of jamming pods.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 03:30:18 AM »
Some real world news:

S. Korea, Peru vow to cooperate in trainer jet project
(Source: Yonhap News, published Apr 21, 2015)

LIMA --- President Park Geun-hye said Monday she agreed with her Peruvian counterpart Ollanta Humala on cooperation in Peru's trainer jet project, a move that could raise the prospect of a South Korean defense firm winning a lucrative deal.

The move "is designed to further expand mutual cooperation in high-tech aviation technology," Park said in a joint news conference with Humala after their summit in Peru, the second stop on her four-nation swing to South America.

The comments came as Korea Aerospace Industries Ltd., South Korea's sole aircraft manufacturer, is competing with foreign rivals to win a deal worth about US$1 billion for Peru's next-generation light attack aircraft.

KAI has offered its FA-50 supersonic jets, a light attack variant of the T-50 Golden Eagle supersonic trainer that was developed with U.S. defense firm Lockheed Martin. It is the most-advanced variant of the T-50 family operated by the South Korean Air Force.

In 2012, KAI won a US$210 million deal to provide Peru with 20 turbo-prop basic trainers called the KT-1P. KAI has built and delivered four trainers to Peru while it is helping the South American country assemble 16 others.

Park said she and Humala shared the view that the joint production of the KT-1P is an exemplary model of cooperation. Humala also said the project that involves a technology transfer will improve the capability of Peru's defense industry.

Park also said she and Humala agreed to make efforts to expand trade and investment between the two countries by taking advantage of their free trade pact that went into effect in 2011.

(end of excerpt)

A Peruvian FA-50 sounds very enticing to model.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 05:57:12 AM »
I must admit the Indonesian T-50is are attractive in this scheme:

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 06:49:01 AM »
This is a nice looking A/C. And the co-pilot likes his selfies.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 02:47:38 AM »
I read this:

Eurofighter: These Are the Potential Successors
(Source: OE24; published July 04, 2017)
(Published in German; unofficial translation by Defense-Aerospace.com)
VIENNA --- Austrian Defense Minister Doskozil is looking for a cheaper alternative to the Eurofighter.

In the Ministry of Defense, they will tell you nothing on the subject. No wonder: the SPÖ Defense Minister Hans Peter Doskozil is likely to announce the end for the Eurofighter -- a flight hour costs up to 80,000 euros.

Austria’s searches have determined that airspace monitoring can be handled by only one system in the future -- this task is currently shared by the Eurofighter with the Saab 105 Ö. Here are the possible successors:

■ Leonardo M 346 jet trainer: Would probably the most cost-effective solution; the Italian jet can also be armed, and its flight hour comes to only 10,000 to 15,000 euros. But Leonardo cannot climb at supersonic speeds; as Georg Mader emphasizes. And Doskozil had explicitly said that the airspace had to be monitored with supersonic jets.

According to experts, two alternatives remain:

■ Gripen: The Swedish jet was originally already in the running against the Eurofighter. But since the latest variant is not much cheaper, used or older versions would have to be ordered.

■ F 16 Fighting Falcon: The same is true of Lockheed's US jet, of which over 4,570 copies have already been sold.

But no matter who wins the race, training jets will also be necessary in the future.

-ends-

And think, why not go for something such as the KAI T-50 family which could offer both trainer and light fighter/attack capability?  Hmmm...a T-50 in Austrian markings ....

Offline Kelmola

• Seeking motivation to start buillding the stash
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 03:59:00 AM »
Well, even though Saab is apparently producing one more batch of C/D for Bulgaria, if even that is too expensive for the Minister, the alternative would be mothballed A/B Gripens modified to C/D standard (all stock A/B models have been retired as unsuitable for combat despite accumulating only a fraction of their planned flight hours). For F-16, the production line is closing this year unless new orders are made (but again, they think it's too expensive), but F-16V is of course a possibility, ie. low-hour airframes pulled from the Boneyard and modified to Block 52+ standard but fitted with AESA radar. Of course, Austria is surrounded by NATO countries so they can probably get by with an armed trainer for airspace monitoring (assuming that if eg. Tu-160's penetrate that far, something has already gone very wrong).

But for the record, I simply don't believe the stated flight hour cost of 80k€ - F-22 costs reportedly about 30k€ per flight hour, F-15 about 20k€, Super Hornet about 10k€. An unsourced claim says Eurofighter costs about 12k€per hour. Either there is something very, very, very wrong with their air force, or someone unfamiliar with cost accounting does not understand the concept of "machine hour" at all and thinks that as the variable cost; if the aircraft have cost 1,7 billion and have flown a total of 21 250 hours (so about 1400 hours each), then the "cost per flight hour" could indeed be calculated as 80 000. But if they will fly 2 800 hours each, then the "machine hour" will drop to 40 000 each. And so forth. And it's still not the variable operating cost that depends on the hours flown.

(True story; back in the School of Economics, a colleague in the same M.Sc thesis class was making her thesis on the accounting of a local hospital. They had recently acquired an expensive CT scanner. Someone making the decisions, having no idea of what the "beancounters" do, had seen the numbers and deduced that the cost of "machine hour" - initial investment divided by estimated hours in use, which is a sunk cost that has already happened, except that it becomes smaller per hour the more you use the machine, and even the original assumption had been calculated assuming a single 8-hour shift per day! - was so expensive that the device should not be operated at all, except under a direst of circumstances, instead of operating said device 24/7 to get the full benefit out of their investment...)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 04:24:45 AM »
Of course, Austria is surrounded by NATO countries so they can probably get by with an armed trainer for airspace monitoring (assuming that if eg. Tu-160's penetrate that far, something has already gone very wrong).

That's basically my point here.  I really don't believe that the Austrian Air Force (along with many others around the world) has a real need for high end fighters such as the Gripen, Typhoon, Rafale or others.  It is different if someone was facing a direct external threat or was likely to be regularly participating in coalition style expeditionary operations (e.g. UN sanctions or operations of the kind we have witnessed in the Middle East).  As such, something akin to the T-50 family should more than satisfy their needs.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2017, 04:02:45 AM »
Phillipino FA-50

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2023, 04:12:02 AM »
In recent years, South Korean is becoming a main producer and seller of weapons, but in their catalog there is not a real air superiority aircraft. So ... why not produce some related to the current main korean fighter, FA-50 Golden Eagle?

Here you can see my proposal along with RW F-50.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2023, 04:49:13 AM »
Looks cool! Maybe an F-16 kitbashed with an F-18. Who's going to build it? I'm saving this pic in the future build file.

Offline kim margosein

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2023, 12:07:40 PM »
Sound good but the problem is the development cost is astronomical.  Then,  you have them competing with the big dogs?   The ones who lent their expertise to the T-50?  The ones who get four figure orders from their home country, and don't live or die on a twelve unit order from Molvania or San Sombrero.  Good luck with that.  And yes, I am a pessimistic grumpy old man and proud of it.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2023, 01:34:49 PM »
Phillipino FA-50

In the first pic is that a British bomb hiding behind the Maverick or a local product? Doesn’t look like a US type.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2023, 07:28:10 AM »
Practice bomb carrier, maybe? Looks rather short. Mounting lugs also seem pretty far forward.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2023, 01:09:57 AM »
It does look a little like a British 540lb General Purpose Unguided Bomb (see below) though as far as I am aware they don't use/have any of those: