Author Topic: Hughes HK-1 / H-4 Hercules  (Read 18079 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Hughes HK-1 / H-4 Hercules
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 08:56:21 AM »
See for yourself in these two kit reviews from Michael Benolkin at CyberModeler:

Westland Wyvern S.4
Trumpeter 1/48 Wyvern S.4 (Early)

Both reviews show the separate spinner and propeller parts.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 08:59:43 PM »

Thanks Jeff   :)

It looks like I'm in the market for a 1/48 Wyvern now   :-X

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 11:43:34 PM »
Thanks Jeff   :)

It looks like I'm in the market for a 1/48 Wyvern now   :-X

Kaching!  :)

Entire kit or just the propeller parts?  That kit is a bit expensive and I have the personal experience to back that up.  As an alternative to spending so much money on the Wyvern kit I would suggest that you take a look at the 1/48th scale Lindberg Pogo kit which has a very large spinner with some rather wide chord propellers.  The kit is available from several on-line retail sales concessions and is usually priced to move at under $15.00. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 11:28:31 PM »
How about having it operated by Pan Am on behalf of the US Merchant Marine?

I've expanded my project into a turbo-prop powered H-4 as per your link Jon, but I have in the stash 1/72 engines, nacelles and propellers for the piston powered version.  I'm thinking I need two kits now --------  :-\

So a question, would a Pan Am liveried aircraft working for the government still have a regular Pan Am scheme,  like this below. I'll have these spare from one of my 1/72 747 kits

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2012, 03:27:38 AM »
So a question, would a Pan Am liveried aircraft working for the government still have a regular Pan Am scheme,  like this below.

What sort of work would it be doing for the Govt?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2012, 04:02:59 AM »
So a question, would a Pan Am liveried aircraft working for the government still have a regular Pan Am scheme,  like this below.

Could be transporting troops to and from Korea era sort of thing, even some types of urgent cargo like jet engines etc ---

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2012, 04:07:26 AM »
I reckon you could just have it in standard Pan Am scheme then...perhaps with some sort of recognition marking or large US Flag or UN marking added.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2012, 10:47:26 AM »
Saw that big old floaty beast in person today.   
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2012, 11:26:27 AM »

Errmm ... the same things the BOAC operated Empire boats and BOAC and Pan-Am operated Boeing 314s
did for their respective governments? They also operated in passenger service during the war.
 ;D

The BOAC boats operated in standard Brit cammo with BOAC markings and civil registration,
supposedly some of the Pan-Am 314s were painted in USN sea-gray top and upper-side surfaces
with civil registration. NC18612 was painted in an experimental multi-tone blue scheme.
However, in photos of 314 NC18601, Honolulu Clipper when she was lost in 1945, she's in
standard Pan-Am silver dope with black bottom, black codes on the tail and orange wing panels.
No Pan-Am logos. BTW 18601 was the first 314.

As to the original question, the big Pan-Am globe logo is post Korean War, it was designed in 1955
for the coming jet airliners. The post-WWII delivery scheme as used on the Boeing 377, however,
would be believable on a Korean War Hercules.
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2012, 09:31:55 PM »
Saw that big old floaty beast in person today.

How did the show go ?

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2012, 09:39:31 PM »
As to the original question, the big Pan-Am globe logo is post Korean War, it was designed in 1955
for the coming jet airliners. The post-WWII delivery scheme as used on the Boeing 377, however,
would be believable on a Korean War Hercules.

Hmm! I was hoping to come up with story where I could use the 747 decals.  I have two sets to use somewhere and most of my projects are military and no where big enough to use them on.  It's not something that other people would want either because they're in 1/72 scale but at the time I bought the AiM kit it was all that was available then.  Now, AiM has some other options.

If the H-4 had been successful (using the turbo-props), do you think it would have still been in service after Korea and maybe as much as the late 60's or so?

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2012, 11:40:03 PM »
Mind you, I've just found that Minicraft does this 'what-if' scheme with their 1/200 scale kit

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2012, 01:48:34 AM »
Pan-Am's 377s were in service until 1958-59 and in the last years of their service did have a version
of the big globe logo.

Jennings Heilig's Liveries Unlimited did decals of the late scheme for
the Minicraft 1/72 kit and the painting guide is a good reference.

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/decals/aga7015.htm
conspiracy.”

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2012, 02:21:13 AM »
Jon, would you know what font 'Pan American' is done in ?

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2012, 02:40:53 AM »
At that time Pan-Am used an in-house developed logotype I've seen referred to as Windswept.
Various "Pan-Am" like fonts are available on the web as free downloads, just google for pan-am type
or pan-am font.

Note that in modelling terms the word 'font' is probably one of the most misused, especially
when dealing with historical subjects. Logotype, lettering style, type style or typeface all being
more accurate, as, in the pre-desktop publishing age, the word font actually refers to a physical
set of movable type for a printing press.
conspiracy.”

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2012, 06:03:54 AM »
Thanks for that Jon, because of your explaination, I found a font on the internet to use.

Does this below look about right for colour
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:10:06 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2012, 05:29:59 AM »
How did the show go ?

Very well and excellent quality work.   Evergreen has moved us over to the Space Museum so we were under the X-15 instead of the Goose but the lighting is even better.
The museum donated prizes for the hosting club's raffle such as sit in the pilot's seat and wear Howard Hughes' hat.   How 'bout that??   
It's still hard to digest just how large the HK-1 is.
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2012, 05:44:00 AM »
... the word font actually refers to a physical  set of movable type for a printing press.

My college days just pre-dated that "desktop publishing age". Back then, we would have called that Pan American lettering a wordmark, logo signature, or logotype (as Jon said). Logo gets bandied about because it covers both lettering and entirely graphical marks.

In graphics typography classes, we were taught that a font was composed of one type style in a single point size (to include hot type, linotype, and then-new computer typography).  Wow, does that all seem like ancient history now!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."