Author Topic: X-54  (Read 5767 times)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
X-54
« on: June 26, 2012, 04:17:18 PM »

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
Re: X-54
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 10:59:15 PM »
Awesome looking vehicle. Chalk me up as jaded, but this is the umpteenth time the Concorde replacement has been waved around, and so far, nada. I'm going to assume this one too will be never developed as a real life aircraft. Too bad, I've always wanted to commute to Oz for work!

Alvis 3.1

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 09:15:45 AM »
I've always wanted to commute to Oz for work!
Alvis 3.1

Fast travel is over-rated -- my cousin went from London to N.Y 6 or 8 times a year for 3-5 days each to fix code for a software company ... limo to Heathrow, Concord to NY, private Learjet to Utah - return same way.

He took them up on a permanent move to the US.   I prefer travel by train 8)

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 09:33:32 AM »
I'm still waiting for the Canada-Oz train link to start up. ;D

Alvis 3.1

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 12:00:47 PM »
Seeing as it's a 'biz-jet', 'Son of Concorde' is overstating the case.
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 05:01:55 PM »
I'm still waiting for the Canada-Oz train link to start up. ;D

Alvis 3.1

that'll never happen -- it took 2 World Wars, a potential Japanese invasion & 100yrs of bickering to get two Oz states to agree on a standard rail gauge just for the main track between the country's two biggest cities !!
It'll have to be a 100% Canadian Pacific job - preferrably using the Colani super-stream-lined Steam-Loco ???
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 05:03:59 PM by raafif »

Offline AGRA

• Took the opportunity to tease us with a RAAF F-82
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 06:09:36 PM »
that'll never happen -- it took 2 World Wars, a potential Japanese invasion & 100yrs of bickering to get two Oz states to agree on a standard rail gauge just for the main track between the country's two biggest cities !!

It’s not that bad. Rail standardisation between two or more established networks is really hard because the gauge network(s) that miss out have to be completely rebuilt. And if you have to gauge up you have to realign all of your curves that are now beneath the minimum of the larger gauge. Realistically the only way Australia will ever have a common gauge is a totally new rail technology (eg maglev) or NSW and Victoria rebuild to narrow gauge. Since they are the two most politically powerful states it never happened.

It'll have to be a 100% Canadian Pacific job - preferrably using the Colani super-stream-lined Steam-Loco ???

Lets see how the Atlantic Train goes before we build one across the Pacific.

Extreme Engineering Transatlantic Tunnel London to New York

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 11:05:54 AM »
Shades of Harry Harrison's A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah!!, complete with atomic-fired steam locomotives (granted, steam-turbine-driven) for the shallow portions of the route and mag-lev for the deeper portions with an intermediate station in the Azores.

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 05:01:29 PM »
Seeing as it's a 'biz-jet', 'Son of Concorde' is overstating the case.

Exactly. And btw, given that usership, don't be surprised if the subject of that craft gets drawn into the larger societal political debate- especially in the US, as in the 99 percent get to hear the boom of that caste travelling in comfort as they file into airports to get frisked to their toes and then packed into Boeing and Airbus cattle-cars.

Just sayin' is all.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 05:04:13 PM by RussC »

Offline AGRA

• Took the opportunity to tease us with a RAAF F-82
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 06:15:59 PM »
Why bother with making supersonic aircraft produce gentle sonic booms when you can just make them really fast. Like the Mach 4-8 LAPCAT. Just about every route you are going to want a supersonic plane for flies over water or can be flown over water and still be much quicker than a subsonic overland route. If you negotiate boom happy zones near the Suez and Panama Canals then there is nothing stopping you from flying supersonic everywhere. I’m sure the Egyptians and Panamanians would be happy to be paid a few thousand dollars per flight that booms over the top of unpopulated desert and jungle.

So you wanna go from Europe to the Mid-East and then on to Asia then your Mach 5 plane just flies out to sea and down to the Gibraltar Straits, a cross the Med, across the Sinai and then down the Red Sea and to wherever. Because you are flying six times faster the 1.25x increase in journey distance still means you get there five times quicker. Even without Sinai or Panama boom ‘canals’ you can just fly over the North Pole and still get somewhere far faster than a straight line overland.

http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/lapcat_veh.html

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 02:03:54 PM »
If a kit were out - can be bashed into a bomber or long range interceptor of bombers or launch anti-ship missiles.
I was keen on Boeing building Sonic Cruiser.  Then poooofff was no more.  At least deserves someone releasing a model kit of it.
Bill