Author Topic: de assymbling plastic?  (Read 2921 times)

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
de assymbling plastic?
« on: June 23, 2012, 08:35:35 AM »
any one got some good tips for taking apart a small(say 1/144 plastic model of a f-18) that was glued with both super glue and testors liquid cement.
 i was tryin some nail polish remover(the wifes , not mine) with no luck.
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: de assymbling plastic?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 09:08:30 AM »
I have been told that placing the model in the freezer compartment of your refrigerator will assist in weakening any stubborn glue joints to the point that they will snap apart without fracturing the surrounding plastic.  Never having tried this myself I can provide nothing further on a "happy ending" for such a task. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 03:41:16 PM »
never heard of this freezer trick, will try on one i dont care about mesing up and will let you know the results.
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 09:49:46 PM »
There is 'De-Bonder' for the Super Glue.  I've used it a couple of times with varied results. 

If the kit was glued with liquid cement, I've noticed that with some slight twisting or squeezing of the parts, the joint usually breaks open, but that definitely doesn't work with 'tube' glued parts