Author Topic: Acree's Profiles  (Read 104041 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Acree's Profiles
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2012, 10:06:25 AM »
Wow, from Heinkel biplane to Shooting Star analogue ... that is truly astonishing! They may be a bunch of island-bound fascisti but that Barbary crew have some game  :)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2012, 11:38:45 AM »
In 1942, Barbary began development of a single-seat, twin-engined heavy fighter.  Powered by two 1175 HP Alfa Romeo R.A.1000RC.41-1a, the Ba 37 was fast and long ranged.  The fighter was equipped with two 12.7 mm Breda SAFAT machine guns and two 20 mm MG-FF in the forward end of each tail boom, making the Ba 37 one of the most heavily armed fighters in the theater.  It was also able to carry a 250 kg bomb under each inboard wing section. 

Offline Acree

« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2012, 11:41:20 AM »
Thanks Apophenia (and others) for your comments!

« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2012, 07:11:36 PM »
Lovin' these Barbary birds!

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2012, 09:57:36 PM »
 :) :) :)
Alex

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2012, 11:17:58 AM »
I do love this (newly revealed) twin-boomer! Thanks! :-*

Offline Acree

« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2012, 03:29:42 PM »
I had a feeling you'd like it, Tophe!

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2012, 04:04:36 AM »
Very good

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2012, 04:25:46 PM »
I really like this Barbary theme you've got going, Acree!

Brian da Basher

Offline Acree

« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2012, 12:12:47 PM »
Thanks Brian!

And here's the next installment.  After the Italian Regia Aeronautica rejected the Cant Z.508 as unsuitable for the heavy bomber role, and after they were finished breaking records with it, they foisted it off on their Tripolitan allies.  The Tripolitans liked the heavy flying boat, which became, for a time, the largest, heaviest aircraft in FTAF service.  Barbary aircraft obtained a license to build the Z.508, and built 30, which were designated Barbary Ba 200. 
The Ba 200 was well-liked, but it was easy meat for Farallonian fighters as it was only lightly armed.  Barbary studied upgrading the defensive armament, but determined that the additional weight would make the aircraft underpowered.  Therefore, they decided to up-engine the aircraft, installing three 1175 HP Alfa Romeo R.A.1000RC.41-1a (which were now being built in Tripolitania, with the tacit approval of the Italians, but without a license from Daimler-Benz).  The new aircraft was designated Ba 200bis and carried six 7.7 mm Breda-SAFAT machine guns in three manually-operated turrets.  Twenty-five Ba 200bis were built and served alongside Ba 200s. 

In 1942, work began on converting the Ba 200 to a land-based long range bomber.  The first aircraft was a conversion of a Ba 200bis which had landed on a rocky beach, totally wiping out the planing bottom, but leaving the remainder of the aircraft mostly intact.  After some 8 months of design and construction work, it was determined that a more extensive redeisign was necessary, and the first Ba 300 was finally rolled out in late 1943.  This used the wing, tail, and nose of the Ba 200, but featured a completely redesigned lower fuselage, with a mid-wing layout and FOUR R.A. 1000RC.41s.  The result was a heavy bomber with a range of over 1200 miles while carrying a 2000 pound payload.  One hundred were built. 
Barbary's next development was a land-based patrol-bomber version, which could carry torpedoes, depth charges or bombs internally and had a maximum 2450 mile range in the patrol configuration.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 12:16:19 PM by Acree »

Offline apophenia

« Reply #110 on: August 07, 2012, 11:55:37 AM »
Nice work! They both have a suitable 'barbarous' look about them  :)

Offline Acree

« Reply #111 on: August 07, 2012, 12:12:37 PM »
Thanks Apophenia.  I always liked the looks of the Z.508 and it LOOKS as effective as the Kawanishi Mavis (though looks can deceive!).  For some strange reason it always reminded me of a hound dog (and I like dogs).  The landplane version is of course, pure fantasy on my part, but the end result reminds me of the Tupolev TB-3/M-34R, or Bolkhovitkinov DB-A. 

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2012, 06:39:52 AM »
That Ba 300 in tan is a real show-stopper!

The design and the colors all coalesce into pure eye-candy!

Brian da Basher

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2012, 12:52:46 PM »
Totally agree with........

Nice work! They both have a suitable 'barbarous' look about them .

That Ba 300 in tan is a real show-stopper!
The design and the colors all coalesce into pure eye-candy!

Offline apophenia

« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2012, 11:33:07 AM »
...  The landplane version is of course, pure fantasy on my part, but the end result reminds me of the Tupolev TB-3/M-34R, or Bolkhovitkinov DB-A.

It does indeed. Although somehow still looking Italian. Now if she had Brian-pleasing spats and ;) skis ...

Offline Acree

« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2012, 02:33:11 AM »
Since the subject of "spats" came up, I'll share my next installment: one of my favorite spatted aircraft (for no apparent reason) has always been the Caproni AP-1.  It made a good impression on the Tripolitans, too.  They not only imported AP-1s from Italy, but also license-built them as Ba 73s.  Barbary continued development of the AP-1, first by re-engining with the Piaggio P.XI RC40 as the Ba 173 (usually referred to as AP-1bis).  They later used the popular 1175 HP Alfa Romeo R.A.1000RC.41-1a engine in the Ba 273 (also called the AP-1ter).  The final development was the Ba 373 which included a moderate redesign with retractable landing gear, fully enclosed cockpit, cantilever horizontal tail and new-design, metal covered rudder.  The BA 373 was also more-heavily armed with 4 x 20mm cannon in the wings and 2 x 12.7 mm over the engine.  The second crewmember was dispensed with, although there was room for a single passenger on ferry flights.  The Ba 373 was called the Scooter and was very well-liked by pilots. 

Offline apophenia

« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2012, 11:05:09 AM »
Nice work - the AP-1/Ca.301 has been an inexplicable favourite of mine too  ;D Your Ba 373 is especially imposing ... and gives a hint as to what the Caproni Ca.335 could have become.  :)

Offline Acree

« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2012, 02:08:23 PM »
The most colorful aircraft in Tripolitan service as undoubetedly the Caproni Ca 100s used for basic flight training.  Painted in vivd red and yellow for high visibility, the "Caproncino" was hard to miss in the skies over the Barbary Coast.  Later, the Tripolitan trainers were painted in sand camoflage to prevent their loss to marauding Farallonian fighters.

Offline Acree

« Reply #118 on: September 08, 2012, 03:05:53 AM »
Tripolitania, of course also utilized the floatplane version of the Caproncino, the Ca 100 Idro.  An example is shown below in the colorful red and yellow scheme. 
Later, the government tasked Barbary with developing the Ca 100 into an intermediate trainer.  The main requirement was that it be a low-wing monoplane to give the new pilots confidence in that configuration.  Barbary made a straight-forward development by removing the upper wing, enlarging the lower wing and bracing it to the upper fuselage.  The modification also required the redesign of the fuel system from the gravity feed tank located in the upper wing to a pump-feed tank located in the fuselage below the cockpits.  The result was the Ba 66 shown below. 
After reading about the Fleet Model 60 Fort advanced trainer being developed in Canada, Barbary's chief designer became enamored of the stepped cockpit design and developed the Ba 66bis with an enclosed, stepped cockpit, achieved by simply raising the rear cockpit by 1.5 feet. 
Instructor pilots liked the stepped cockpit, but did not like the enclosures, which were unneeded in Tropolitania's hot climate.  Several Ba 66s were used also as liaison and spotter aircraft, invariably with the cockpit canopies removed, as shown below.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 03:10:07 AM by Acree »

« Reply #119 on: September 12, 2012, 05:46:49 AM »
Somehow managed to miss the Caproni AP-1 derivatives. Great stuff!

Offline Acree

« Reply #120 on: September 12, 2012, 08:03:23 AM »
Thanks, EH!  I've always liked the AP-1.  Thanks for the comment.  I thought for a while that nobody was looking at profiles anymore!   ;)

« Reply #121 on: September 12, 2012, 10:56:53 PM »
Rest assured, where-ever there are good looking Italians, I will be there!  :D

Offline Acree

« Reply #122 on: September 16, 2012, 01:53:39 PM »
Witnessing the use of the Heinkel He 70 in nearby Spain, the Tripolitans bought both the civil and military versions in small numbers.  The civil He 70Ds were soon impressed into military service where they served as high-speed light tranpsorts.  The military He 70Fs were used by the light bomber squadrons, but primarily in the reconnaissance bomber role.  Several were later fitted with a Barbary-designed turret developed for the later He 70ter project.  This was intended to improve the He 70's weak defensive capability, but dramatically hampered speed and range. 
The Tripolitan Navy requested a floatplane version of the He 70 for inshore patrol and anti-shipping duties and this was accomplished by fitting Heinkel-designed floats to the He 70D as the He 70DtW.
Barbary developed a special "strategic reconnaissance" version of the He 70 as the Heinkel-Barbary He 70bis.  This used the 1175 HP Alfa Romeo R.A.1000RC.41-1a engine (which was being license-built in Tripolitania) to boost speed and payload.  At the same time, the crew was reduced to 2, a pilot and a camera operator/navigator/radio operator who occupied a fuselage station.  Only three examples were built and were used rarely, though effectively.
Finally, Barbary Aircraft developed the final Tripolitan extrapolation on the He 70 design, the He 70ter.  This used the 1000 hp Piaggio IX radial.  The He 70ter was built in both two- and three-seat version (with and without a dorsal turret).

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2012, 03:39:27 PM »
Oh yeah!!!  Love the He-70
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Acree

« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2012, 08:02:37 AM »
Pictured below is the Ba 614 flying boat of the Federal Tripolitan Air Force - the last development of a long line which started with the import of the _________________ from __________________. 

I'll post the whole line tomorrow, but major kudos to anyone who can fill in the blanks above with the correct progenitor of this line!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:07:20 AM by Acree »