Author Topic: Marder IFV, TAM, and Puma IFV  (Read 90814 times)

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
Re: Marder IFV, TAM, and Puma IFV
« Reply #150 on: January 07, 2023, 09:34:18 PM »
Germany has abandoned a taboo. On Thursday evening, German Chancellor Olaf Scholz of the center-left Social Democratic Party (SPD) announced that Germany would expand its weapons assistance to Ukraine and would now supply Marder infantry fighting vehicles after all.

According to reporting from DER SPIEGEL, Germany intends to supply up to 40 Marder infantry fighting vehicles to equip a Ukrainian battalion. A Patriot air defense system is also to be delivered.

On Wednesday, French President Emmanuel Macron announced the delivery of older French AMX-10 RC "light" battle tanks. Soon afterwards, U.S. President Joe Biden said he was considering supplying American Bradley infantry fighting vehicles to Ukraine.

https://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/forty-marders-for-kyiv-germany-moves-forward-with-tank-deliveries-to-ukraine-a-3ac7ce39-3ead-4425-be7e-c7228f00b59f#ref=rss

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #151 on: January 08, 2023, 01:42:01 AM »
Everything sells better when you attach "Combat Tested" to the product description...
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #152 on: January 08, 2023, 01:46:46 AM »
Ukraine is a de facto NATO member and has proven their worth in combat. They should get whatever they need.

Offline Story

« Reply #153 on: January 08, 2023, 07:20:49 AM »
Ukraine is a de facto NATO member and has proven their worth in combat. They should get whatever they need.

The fact that the Kiev needs AFVs so desperately that Germany just went back on their moral planks indicates that the Russians continue to attrit UA AFVs at a high rate.

Every western system introduced requires it's own unique logistical tale, a burden that grows exponentially every time a bunch of antiques are added to Kiev's Order of Battle.

That's why the aid is now in the trillions. 

Trillions.

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #154 on: January 09, 2023, 01:00:33 AM »

That's why the aid is now in the trillions. 

Trillions.

Have you got a source for that claim?  I don't see trillions when looking here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_aid_to_Ukraine_during_the_Russo-Ukrainian_War or here:  https://www.state.gov/more-than-3-75-billion-in-u-s-military-assistance-to-ukraine-and-countries-impacted-by-russias-brutal-war/

In fact, no where near even 1 trillion.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 01:22:42 AM by GTX_Admin »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #155 on: August 31, 2023, 03:06:51 AM »

Offline Mig Eater

• Munch, Munch, Munch
    • Mig Eater Studio
« Reply #156 on: August 31, 2023, 04:08:35 AM »
I wouldn't take the monetary aid amounts being sent to Ukraine at face value, espeshialy when it comes to military vehicles. When a politician announces that they are giving vehicles worth 100 million etc to Ukraine they reach that amount based on what it would cost to replace the vehicles with brand new ones. When in reality most of the stuff being sent is old mothballed stock & by giving it to Ukraine they are actually saving money as they dont need to store & then later dispose of it themselves.

It's like giving an old rusty car to a friend & then saying you donated $30,000 to charity ;D

« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 04:13:35 AM by Mig Eater »

Offline Marderman

• Guess what he builds lots of...
    • didi-berlage.de
« Reply #157 on: August 31, 2023, 05:18:55 PM »
Hello,
Newspaper report from 2011. Through my translation program:

"The Federal Ministry of Defense (BMVg) sells disused armaments as a bargain. In 2009, the Bundeswehr delivered 60 "Leopard 2" type battle tanks to Chile at a price of 250,000 euros each (acquisition costs just under three million euros). This emerges from a response from the BMVg to a parliamentary question. The used infantry fighting vehicle "Marder" only cost 50,000 euros (purchase costs just under 400,000 euros). The Chileans ordered and received 146 of these. However, the armored vehicles were not in good condition. The Chilean military had to pay another 83 million euros for the repair and modernization of the "Leopards". However, the money did not go to the federal government, but to the industrial companies commissioned with the retrofit.

Offline Story

« Reply #158 on: September 27, 2023, 04:09:55 AM »
Marder knocked out in the Ukraine

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #159 on: September 27, 2023, 08:38:25 AM »
Knocked out in that it's repairable or used for spares, vs knocked out as in T-72/BMP-x/BMD-X which are usually spread out over several hundred sq. feet.

Offline Story

« Reply #160 on: September 27, 2023, 12:49:23 PM »
Knocked out in that it's repairable or used for spares, vs knocked out as in T-72/BMP-x/BMD-X which are usually spread out over several hundred sq. feet.

Putting on one of my old hats, my BDA assessment is that it's good only for cannibalized parts.

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #161 on: September 28, 2023, 01:04:46 AM »

Putting on one of my old hats, my BDA assessment is that it's good only for cannibalized parts.

Depends upon the damage.  The photo shows obvious fire damage to one side but the interior and other side may be untouched.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #162 on: September 28, 2023, 06:22:01 AM »
I saw other pictures online and the crew probably survived, but the engine and running gear look like they're in bad shape from the fire.

Offline Story

« Reply #163 on: September 28, 2023, 07:28:05 AM »

Depends upon the damage.  The photo shows obvious fire damage to one side but the interior and other side may be untouched.

No one's going to put that particular hull back on the line without - at the very least - a depot-level rebuild. :(

If the armor is compromised from the fire, the entire hull is a write-off. The torsion bars subjected to fire would probably need to be replaced. Roadwheels on the impact/fire side are toast. Electronics fried. And that's just from a single glance, let along crawling around inside whether I was familiar with Marders or not.  :o

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #164 on: October 24, 2023, 02:08:37 AM »

I got to see one of these in person last week.  There is one at Rheinmetall in Brisbane.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #165 on: October 24, 2023, 06:32:18 AM »

I got to see one of these in person last week.  There is one at Rheinmetall in Brisbane.

AAARRGGH!!!  I missed it being a bit south.  Pics please.

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #166 on: October 25, 2023, 02:03:42 AM »
It's this one:

Doing some research, it's actually more advanced being an autonomous vehicle - see more details here:  https://euro-sd.com/2021/09/articles/exclusive/23854/rheinmetall-australia/

They also had two Weisel 2's there - at least one of these is also an autonomous version.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 02:05:16 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #167 on: October 25, 2023, 03:23:10 AM »
... Doing some research, it's actually more advanced being an autonomous vehicle - see more details here:  https://euro-sd.com/2021/09/articles/exclusive/23854/rheinmetall-australia/

So, did I understand correctly? The existing is 5G-based remotely-controlled via onboard cameras and UAV relay. The (planned?) Advanced Firefighting Concept (AFC) variant would be fully autonomous?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #168 on: October 25, 2023, 03:41:26 AM »
I believe they are going for autonomous from the start but using the 5G technology for networking.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #169 on: October 26, 2023, 02:07:31 AM »
I believe they are going for autonomous from the start but using the 5G technology for networking.

Ah, thanks. So, if autonomous, the 5G is mainly for linking up with the UAVs then.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #170 on: October 26, 2023, 05:06:46 AM »
I still want onboard Human control & a blimp in the sky as per the original ! ;D  Makes for a better model diorama. :smiley:

Offline Marderman

• Guess what he builds lots of...
    • didi-berlage.de
« Reply #171 on: January 09, 2024, 06:22:37 PM »
Hello, I found this. Marder in a cage

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #172 on: January 11, 2024, 02:14:59 AM »
Looks like we might be getting a 1/35 Roland Kette. 3D printed, not sure of the maker just yet.

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #173 on: January 11, 2024, 03:10:16 AM »
Looks like we might be getting a 1/35 Roland Kette.

I thought there were already kits out?

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #174 on: January 16, 2024, 04:25:45 AM »
I think Elite did a resin one and Roco does a 1/87. The former certainly does not hold up to 2024 standards.