Author Topic: What-If 72nd Scale DC-9 Clandestine Cargo Aircraft WIP  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
What-If 72nd Scale DC-9 Clandestine Cargo Aircraft WIP
« on: February 23, 2023, 08:05:58 AM »
The recent (2017) Atlantis Models re-release of the old Aurora 1/72nd scale DC-9 came into my possession a few years ago.  I had no real intentions at the time of purchase for the kit but felt the need to acquire one just to see if my muse would spur me on at a later date.  Well that went no where fast and aside from picking through the box once or twice it pretty much just took up space in the stash here at the house.  That changed not too long ago when I decided to spend some time removing parts from the runners and doing some cursory fit checks to see how the kit would go together.  At some point during the kits progress from factory to store to my possession a portion of the tail had broken off.  Nothing major though as it was seen as a spot that could benefit from possible modification during assembly or get repaired with some putty.  The kit is large enough to work with comfortably even if it is 1/72nd scale it was within the limits of my comfort zone and the old tooling does provide you with some rather thick and forgiving plastic to work with. 

Initial work was done on assembling the two fuselage halves.  Then came the tedious process of trying to smooth out the seams that were all too obvious thanks to the imperfections between the two fuselage halves.  The wings went together a lot easier and that helped to restore my faith in not ruining another project so soon.  The engines were also assembled at this time and left separate from the fuselage for the time being. 

At this point I started pondering just what it was that I wanted to do with this model.  Building it out of the box was out of the question.  I recalled reading an article years ago about a special-delivery cargo aircraft that was operated by a three-letter agency to deliver cargo by parachute into denied areas at low level at night.  This was in reality a Boeing 727 which had the rear air-stair modified to become a slide or ramp which was opened in flight and the cargo bundles with attached parachutes were ejected down this ramp and into the waiting hands of the "freedom fighters/revolutionaries" below.  I decided I wanted to create a similar vehicle but based on the DC-9/C-9 since it too has the rear air-stairs feature it looked like a good idea for a what-if. 

So with this as my goal, I started digging through what few 72nd scale parts I still retained.  Fortunately for me I still had a few bits and pieces that could be used for this project.  Among these were a small FLIR ball from a long gone Hasegawa 1/72nd scale HH-60/MH-60 Blackhawk, some tiny pitot tubes from a source long forgotten, and unfortunately a 1/48th scale aerial refueling receptacle from a very horrible ESCI A-7E Corsair II that does not look out of scale or over-sized on the DC-9 fuselage.  The large air-intake scoop on the bottom of the fuselage adjacent to the rear cargo hatch started out as a part from an Academy or Hasegawa 1/48th scale F-15E Strike Eagle.  It looked to be an appropriate size and shape once it was removed from the original base part so it became a part of the project. 

The repair work mentioned previously is shown in the last image with the rear of the fuselage at the tip of the vertical stabilizer and the fuselage proper.  I had cut away the tip of the fuselage in an attempt to install an APU exhaust and failed to achieve my goal so I applied some Two-Part Epoxy and did some quick sculpting on both areas.  It had to sit and dry for several days until it finally hardened to the point that it could be sanded and fine-tuned to regain the shape that was lost.  The black outlines on the doors is black magic marker. 

WIP images attached to show what has been done so far.  I am still trying to determine where the air-stairs would be located under the fuselage.  One diagram that I managed to find has yielded some information but I have to study it a bit further to get more familiar with it before I start scribing on the model. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: What-If 72nd Scale DC-9 Clandestine Cargo Aircraft WIP
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 12:55:28 PM »
That's looking promising, Jeff! Keep it coming! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 01:55:48 PM »
I almost thought it was a vacuform with all that white plastic. I like the refueling probe. Are you going to give it a sensor “chin”?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 02:17:43 PM »
That's looking promising, Jeff! Keep it coming! :smiley:
Thanks Guy/OW.  All part of the juggling act between the current batch of projects that keep me sane. 

I almost thought it was a vacuform with all that white plastic. I like the refueling probe. Are you going to give it a sensor “chin”?
Some consideration was given to mounting the FLIR ball under the nose but space for that was not really available.  The nose landing gear door ends right at the demarcation with the radome.  While the nose gear door is engraved into the fuselage I really see no way to have the FLIR positioned on the nose landing gear door.  I am considering positioning the FLIR behind the nose gear on the centerline of the fuselage where it would have a complete 360 degree FOV.  I forgot to mention the little nub sticking down from the tail which I am calling a rear observation device to view the air-stair when deployed to allow confirmation of the bundles being dropped.  I was trying to go with an IFR probe but I had none to work with.  The boom receptacle made more sense as it sort of blends in with the fuselage and is not as distinctive. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 06:30:38 PM »
Well thought out as usual Jeff.  :smiley:  Being very practical.

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 10:43:34 PM »
Interesting . . .   :smiley:
If I may, could I ask for some information about this kit, which will be very helpful for a project I'm working on ?
I need to know the size of the engine nacelles, the kit parts, not the real aircraft.
I need to know the overall length, overall width (without the pylon),and the intake and jetpipe diameters.
Thanks In Advance,

cheers,
Robin.

By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2023, 08:28:36 AM »
Looking good! Waiting patiently for the end results.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2023, 10:26:22 AM »
Thanks for the support!  Taking this slowly as I really want to not cock it up.  Still trying to determine what a proper "clandestine aerial cartage service" would paint their vehicle.  Dark grey underside with a deep purple on top? 

Still trying to come up with a catchy name for the front company too.  CAT ("Clandestine Air Transport") is too obvious :smiley:

***Edit to fix spelling error.--jjf
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 01:55:31 PM by Jeffry Fontaine »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2023, 11:01:52 AM »
AFT - Air Freedom Transport

Because every self-respecting clandestine air freight service believes it is working in the name of Freedom. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2023, 11:04:11 AM »
You must have a very steady hand to draw in the door outlines, I'm impressed  :smiley:

There's always "Air America"  or is that too easy and a bit lame  ::)

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2023, 11:11:42 AM »
CIA Cargo International Airlines

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2023, 11:17:49 AM »
Liking that:

CIA Cargo International Airlines
or
CCA Clandestine Cargo Airlines/Aircraft

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2023, 11:33:55 AM »
Or be very tricky!

AIC - Air International Cargo ;)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2023, 11:54:19 AM »
Or be very tricky!

Put the A upside down to indicate that it would fly South of the equator.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2023, 01:54:18 PM »
If I may, could I ask for some information about this kit, which will be very helpful for a project I'm working on ?
I need to know the size of the engine nacelles, the kit parts, not the real aircraft.
I need to know the overall length, overall width (without the pylon),and the intake and jetpipe diameters.
Thanks In Advance,

@Robin - Check your PM in-box for my reply to your questions. 
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
You must have a very steady hand to draw in the door outlines, I'm impressed  :smiley:

There's always "Air America"  or is that too easy and a bit lame  ::)

Mog
>^-.-^<

The hand is not so steady.  However the engraved plastic is deep and wide enough to accommodate a find-tip Sharpie marker which allowed me to fill in the lines with ease. 

I do have some very small Air America decals if all else fails but I was hoping to find some other name if possible. 

Attached two images of one engine nacelle to show the overall shape for Robin and to emphasize how little detail these things have.  The grey plastic bit under the engine intake is from an Italeri 1/72nd scale B-57 Canberra that was parted out long ago.  If I remember correctly, that part was part of the American [Martin] Canberra for additional cooling air for the oil cooler on the engine nacelles. 

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2023, 02:02:46 PM »
Or be very tricky!

Put the A upside down to indicate that it would fly South of the equator.

Upside down "A" does appeal to me.  :smiley: 

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2023, 04:13:47 PM »
Nice work and a great subject idea  :smiley:

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2023, 07:04:10 PM »
CIA -> Canadian International Airlines

"When your Maple Syrup just can't wait"
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2023, 07:30:51 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2023, 09:41:19 PM »
A few profiles from John Lacey.

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2023, 09:43:18 PM »
I have the original Aurora Box with Air Canada decals.

So your build Jeff is very interesting and informative.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2023, 01:07:44 AM »
The lack of detail on the engines and parts is due to either the era the Aurora kit was made or a conformal coating on the plane to reduce visibility in certain wavelengths. We speculate, you decide.

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2023, 05:22:29 AM »
Thanks In Advance,

@Robin - Check your PM in-box for my reply to your questions. 

Attached two images of one engine nacelle to show the overall shape for Robin and to emphasize how little detail these things have.  The grey plastic bit under the engine intake is from an Italeri 1/72nd scale B-57 Canberra that was parted out long ago.  If I remember correctly, that part was part of the American [Martin] Canberra for additional cooling air for the oil cooler on the engine nacelles.

Many Thanks, this was exactly the information I needed . . . :icon_alabanza:

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2023, 07:46:51 AM »
The 9 doesn't get a lot of recognition, but it was a workhorse for many airlines for many years. Love to see how this comes out.
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2023, 01:13:16 AM »
Wow, that is some smooth tooling. I think I've seen vac-forms with more detail!

What a terrfic project idea though. Maybe some kind of IR / Audio dampening on the engine exhausts? Some kind of defensive store like flare / chaff? Unless the clandestine aspect more tied into making it plausibly deniable as a civilian liner. Great name suggested so far. A British one could be "Mysix Courier"

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2023, 05:17:46 AM »
Unlike the typical Vacu-Form this model has some weight to it.  It can take a beating as I discovered when I lost my grip on it and watched it plunge to the floor and bounce.  There was a moment where I was kind of hoping to see it shatter but it rebounded like nothing happened. 

@Graeme/Gingie - I had considered swapping out the kit engines with some 1/48th scale units from an A-10 Thunderbolt II but that did not look as practical as I had hoped and losing the thrust-reverser feature would have meant coming up with something to replace that feature.  So I stuck with the original engines and added the B-57 Canberra air-scoop feature. 
The counter-measures package is cobbled together from some ECM bumps from the Monogram A/F-18 Hornet and some unknown wedge-shaped square things attached to the underside of the wings at each tip and on top and bottom of the fuselage near the cockpit.  The wedge-shaped square things would house the chaff and flares for a last-ditch attempt in dodging AAA or SAM activity while ingress and egress from the delivery location.