Author Topic: Stug-5 (1946 - 1960)  (Read 2072 times)

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Stug-5 (1946 - 1960)
« on: February 20, 2023, 08:17:41 AM »
Back on the bench to try & finish a kit that I want to keep.

Bought the KaJaPa on special a few years ago & started backdating it using mostly repositioned parts from the kit.
Changed the sprockets & added a few bits from Tamia's old Jagdpanzer-IV Lang.  I'm thinking of a cam scheme for Christmas.

Also have the missile version (w/extra armour) but don't have an idea for that at present.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Stug-5 (1946 - 1960)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 09:42:28 AM »
Will you be swapping out the 90mm gun for something more vintage? 

I often regret not stocking up on those two Revell kits as I really liked the subject and if it were not for all of the other kits in the stash I might have adopted a couple of each to place in the "Kit Protection Program" :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 01:06:29 PM »
One of these days I plan to build am M41 version for the 70s to 80s timeframe. This will be great inspiration. I’m looking forward to see this build progress.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 05:10:27 AM »
Interesting project.

Also have the missile version (w/extra armour) but don't have an idea for that at present.

Same deal, but for 46 timeframe perhaps rottkapchen

or the X-4

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 07:35:01 PM »
That'd fit right into the MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE milieu

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 06:31:23 AM »
 I'll keep the 90mm gun as it looks so nice.  The green paint is patchy - for some reason a second coat from the original tin went much lighter so I'll have to try a new one.
Loading it up with rear stowage too.

Teaser shot --

Buzzbomb- I'll keep that missile idea for the other kit :smiley:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 06:35:24 AM »
StuG Life!  Sticking with the original 90mm is wise.  Often wondered what a JPK would look like as a StuH armed with a 105mm howitzer. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 06:44:26 AM »
StuG Life!  Sticking with the original 90mm is wise.  Often wondered what a JPK would look like as a StuH armed with a 105mm howitzer.

Razor-saw out ??  which large diameter tube do I select  >:D?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 07:17:07 AM »
Razor-saw out ??  which large diameter tube do I select  >:D?
Should be an easy choice to make if you have the ideal gun tube in your spare parts stash.  The OG StuH 10.5cm gun tube would be the best choice but other candidates are also available if you are able to do some minor trimming on gun tube length and can find a suitable in size/shape muzzle brake to add to the muzzle.  Good luck!  :smiley:

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2023, 07:28:49 AM »
Only done a little bit more due to work but, after spending ½ hr searching for my reamer that was finally found hiding at the back of my hobby drawer, have gouged & reamed out the commanders cupola so that a figure can fit.  Made up a figure using the old DML German winter SPG crew + a Hornet :smiley: head with the post-WW2 E.German helmet that was issued in 1945.

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2023, 08:14:48 AM »
Engine deck slightly re-arranged, idler replaced with Panther item, sprocket replaced with Centurion item.  Tracks from Tamiya Panzer IV (top run will be hidden).  Jerry cans mounted on rear mud-flaps.

Took the opportunity to respray my next project at the same time ....

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2023, 09:02:24 AM »
Do you by chance have any M41 Walker light tanks on hand?  Interested to know how much of a difference in size there is between the JPK and the M41.  I am going to assume that the JPK may be a bit smaller overall in length and width but it can not be by much. 

Looking good in the new paint and the Char looks like a recovery problem waiting to be resolved first time it nose dives into an embankment.  :smiley:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2023, 10:19:52 AM »
Both look good! But like Jeff said, that Char B is going to have a bad day unless it sticks to paved roads. Maybe the gun retracts? It is French, after all.

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2023, 11:35:47 PM »
Both look good! But like Jeff said, that Char B is going to have a bad day unless it sticks to paved roads. Maybe the gun retracts? It is French, after all.

Explanation 1) Special Export Version, sold to countries that are flat places.

Explanation 2) Shrinkage when it's cold.

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2023, 05:27:28 AM »
Do you by chance have any M41 Walker light tanks on hand?  Interested to know how much of a difference in size there is between the JPK and the M41.  I am going to assume that the JPK may be a bit smaller overall in length and width but it can not be by much. 

Looking good in the new paint and the Char looks like a recovery problem waiting to be resolved first time it nose dives into an embankment.  :smiley:

Jeff, I only have an old Tamiya M42 Duster kit so I expect its not to scale but will put the hulls next to each other for a pic.

The Char-B will be a German one, modified, as I used the turret on another whif - probably re-deployed to Holland where there are no hills !! ;D

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2023, 08:29:41 AM »
<snip>
Jeff, I only have an old Tamiya M42 Duster kit so I expect its not to scale but will put the hulls next to each other for a pic.
<snip>
Thanks Mate!  M41 and M42 are close enough in size so that should be no problem. 

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2023, 08:10:02 AM »
Duster is the same width as the JagdKanon but not as long, so you would have to extend an M-41 hull for an SPG ?

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2023, 10:52:11 AM »
IIRC the M-41 and the M-42 used the same hull.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2023, 10:57:40 PM »
IIRC the M-41 and the M-42 used the same hull.
Yes.  Plus other vehicles that shared many of the automotive and drive train components.  The M8 High Speed Tractor for example shared much of the same parts. 

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2023, 06:43:35 AM »
I like the Char B mod, too. The gun doesn't look like it would be any more trouble than the Pz.Jg IV/70...

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2023, 09:07:11 AM »
Autumn 1946 - Christmas is coming !  The troop has been deployed in the forests of eastern Germany - the trees are changing colour so the crews decide to match their surroundings ...

What trees are around in December ??  Christmas trees !!

Just the start of my Christmas cam.