Author Topic: Re: Airvell 1/72 Avro Winchester B.I/B.III - FINISHED - Pic's pg. 6 & 7  (Read 14064 times)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Re: Airvell 1/72 Avro Mancaster B.I/B.III
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2023, 05:26:49 AM »
Be worth the effort and the wait.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2023, 06:35:22 PM »
Thanks, guys! :icon_alabanza:

1st colour down; So far, so good! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2023, 11:26:34 PM »
Just so you can see that "stuff" is really happening, here's a couple of very current photo;

They both look right, depending on the lighting.

A couple of minor things that need touching up but no bleeding under the tape. None! WIN! ;D

Two camo colours (& one other, still covered in tape) down, one to go ... but not tonight! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2023, 02:13:55 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2023, 06:10:46 AM »
Very nice Wombat, always good to get a win during finishing  :smiley: ;)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2023, 08:06:59 AM »
Amen to that, Brother! :smiley:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2023, 08:12:40 AM »
Appears perfectly fine to me, on the last stretch. ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2023, 10:31:33 AM »
Thanks, BT! :D

Fixed the little issues (a few seconds of spray time). :))

Just put the remnants of the fuselage & the wings of the 1/72 Airfix Typhoon IB together as a paint tester for Colour #3 &, I must say, it goes together very well. :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2023, 02:29:53 PM »
Somewhat disappointingly I've discovered that the "Blue Black" that I was going to use to lighten the "Camo Black" seems to eat into the plastic through a primer coat, even through a primer coat & Camo Black coat to give an acid etched appearance. I don't understand why because all the other external colours, including the Camo Black, are SMS colours & don't do that. :o

Even a 20% Blue Black/80% Camo Black mix eats straight through. 40% BB / 60% CB gives the tone I was looking for but, of course, eats the plastic. :icon_crap:

I'll see how Tamiya NATO Black goes over the SMS paints (acrylic over lacquer can be problematic) because it's the closest colour to what I want but, if that doesn't work, I'll have to use the SMS Camo Black & hope that a grey oil wash lightens it a bit. ::)

Glad I was using a test piece & didn't put it straight onto the build! :icon_meditation:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2023, 03:08:25 PM »
Happy coincidence? Fate? Pure happenstance? I dunno, whatever, but I've found that, although a bit darker than I really wanted, Tamiya NATO black over SMS Camo Black, rubbed back a bit, gives a really good weathered colour appearance. So, I'm going to run with that. ??? :D

I'll start masking tonight. Maybe even get the Camo Black down. We'll see. ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2023, 02:11:56 AM »
Well, it's stupid o'clock in the morning (lucky I'm on afternoon shift tomorrow today & I've done the Camo Black, doesn't look quite as excessively dark as I thought it would, now it's on a larger canvas, so to speak. :smiley:

I'll hit it with the Tamiya NATO Black after I get up & rub it back a bit after work. Hopefully it'll look as good as it did on the Typhoon. ;)

Anyway...

'Night, all! I'm off to bed! :))

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2023, 08:28:59 AM »
On a roll! [Touch wood!] :smiley:

Camouflage finished & tape off, &, again, no bleeding! Just some fix-ups required on the red wing & fin bands, then it's gloss & transfer/decal time! :D

Here are some pic's for you to view in the mean time;

The black seems strangely greenish in these photo's, which it doesn't in the styrene. ???

But then, so do the upper colours, so, maybe, it's a by-product of the blue background. ???

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2023, 09:24:50 AM »
So far I'm convinced  :smiley:
How many of these were built ?

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2023, 09:35:05 AM »
I love the camo and the red bands! I just now noticed the radar pod. Niiice!

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2023, 09:54:21 AM »
Straight out of a profile publication so far.

Really coming together

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2023, 10:04:17 AM »
Thank you, gent's! :icon_alabanza:

How many of these were built ?

I'm doing research for the backstory, which is also coming along fairly well, & that is one of the things I need to work out. ;)

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2023, 02:32:59 PM »
Better 'n better old son  :smiley:
Looks like you're bleeding into reality, well done so far  :smiley: :smiley:
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2023, 10:17:38 PM »
Better 'n better old son  :smiley:
Looks like you're bleeding into reality, well done so far  :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks, again, Bro! :smiley:

No, I'm warping reality to conform to my will! ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2023, 09:22:43 AM »
OK, so I tried roughly the same shots but with a white-ish (cream) background - colours are much better;

[Note to self: Don't use blue backgrounds for taking photo's! ::) ]

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2023, 10:21:41 AM »
Glossed ready for transfers/decals! :smiley:

Tonight? ??? ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 10:23:39 AM by Old Wombat »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2023, 10:25:49 AM »
OK, so I tried roughly the same shots but with a white-ish (cream) background - colours are much better...

Looking gorgeous!  :-*

... No, I'm warping reality to conform to my will!

Always the best way to go  ;D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2023, 10:44:58 PM »
Transfers/Decals going on slowly, they say they're printed in Italy for Revell but not by whom.

All I can say is that they drink Micro Sol like a parched camel at a watering hole! :-\

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2023, 12:21:39 AM »
As I'm sure you're all aware, those first few transfers/decals really make a difference to the look of a build. 8)

It starts to come alive! :D

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2023, 06:46:42 AM »
Have to agree, decals are a major point in getting "the look"

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2023, 12:29:23 PM »
All the aircraft identification markings done. Now just the generic markings to go. :smiley: