Author Topic: Re: Airvell 1/72 Avro Winchester B.I/B.III - FINISHED - Pic's pg. 6 & 7  (Read 14378 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Airvell 1/72 Avro Mancaster B.I/B.III
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2023, 12:18:02 AM »
And tonight I've managed to mask the silver bits, so I can re-spray the black bits of the landing gear, & I'm going to use a different black, to give a bit of variation to the blacks in the wheel wells.

Speaking of the wheel wells, I've also built them & fitted the nacelles. There's going to be more PSR here than I was hoping for but, hopefully, not too much, plus some re-spraying of the NATO Black on the inside of the wheel wells.

Things seem to be going moderately well, touch wood ... LOTS of wood! :)) :-\
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2023, 11:32:23 PM »
A lot less PSR than expected! :smiley:

Just sprayed some black into the wheel wells & around the Putty-Sand area & there is only a little "r" to finish it off, & that is really only a touch more "s".

After that I need to get the turrets in, & the cockpit glazing on, so I can start the camo. This is a problem as it would be easier to paint the plane without the turrets. However, if I do that, there are parts that need to be fitted after the turrets are in to secure them in place & these, I'm sure, will need a certain amount of PSR to get to fit properly.

Plus all that masking! :-\

Plus the turrets need a bucket-load of work to get them ready to fit because, of course, I'm modifying them, aren't I. ::)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2023, 06:17:30 AM »
This is a problem as it would be easier to paint the plane without the turrets. However, if I do that, there are parts that need to be fitted after the turrets are in to secure them in place

Araldite  ;D

Must agree it is easier to paint with the turrets off, been down that road (perhaps not with this exact kit ) and modified the turrets to slip in after all the painting and just white glued in place.
Unless really want the turrets to turn to enhance your Vroom, Vroom flying around the room experience  ;D

Looking forward to seeing this

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2023, 08:06:57 AM »
I paint a small area around the turrets with the appropiate colour while the fuselage is open, install the turrets when closing, then mask the glass & do the full cammo.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2023, 08:43:31 AM »
Thanks for the advice, guys! :smiley:

Mostly shopping & gardening today, so I'll see what I can come up with tonight, or over the next couple of nights. ;)

Online Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2023, 03:15:58 AM »
This is a problem as it would be easier to paint the plane without the turrets. However, if I do that, there are parts that need to be fitted after the turrets are in to secure them in place

Araldite  ;D

Must agree it is easier to paint with the turrets off, been down that road (perhaps not with this exact kit ) and modified the turrets to slip in after all the painting and just white glued in place.
Unless really want the turrets to turn to enhance your Vroom, Vroom flying around the room experience  ;D

Looking forward to seeing this

I did a similar thing to Buzzbomb when I did a Tiger Force Lancaster,  basically sand off the locating ring on the turret so that it would slip in after painting. From memory there was still enough whacker to allow the turrets to turn and stay in, but i glued mine in fore and aft.

Looking forward to the finished article.

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2023, 09:36:26 AM »
Some progress pic's to show that things are happening, if somewhat slowly:

The prop's are the Tempest prop's fitted with modified Lancaster bosses.

The guns at the back are 20mm Hispano Mk.II cannon from the Tempest kits, modified to fit into the Lanc turrets, with brass barrel ends for a 1/72 Hurricane IIc/IV, which used the same guns (I still have to make 2 more).

Cheers! :icon_beer:

Guy

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2023, 01:09:01 AM »
Looking good
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2023, 03:01:48 AM »
Thanks, Greg! :icon_alabanza:

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2023, 03:39:48 AM »
Awesome re-assembly of bit and bobs from many sources Guy!
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2023, 09:22:45 AM »
Yes, looking good. And your turrets are most intriguing  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2023, 10:11:23 AM »
That front view is amazing! I know it's too late to change it, but it reminds me of a solid nose B-25 with .50 cals and a cannon.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 10:13:29 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2023, 01:38:46 PM »
Thanks, gents! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

And your turrets are most intriguing  :smiley:

Turrets are just the standard F.N.5A nose turret & early version F.N.20 rear turret (the Revell kit, unlike the Airfix kit, doesn't have the F.N.82 rear turret option) hacked up to fit the 20mm cannons. ;)

I know it's too late to change it, but it reminds me of a solid nose B-25 with .50 cals and a cannon.

If you saw them side-by-side you would realise how weird that would look, she's easily twice the size of a B-25. ;D

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2023, 11:05:22 AM »
Smooth integration of Tempest engines and the rest.   Four blade props add excitement.   Better interior finish than I can do.  :smiley:
In primer looks kinda German.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2023, 11:23:00 AM »
Thank you, Bill! Much appreciated! :icon_alabanza:

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2023, 10:12:01 AM »
Just caught up with progress Wombat, superb as always, lookin' good  8) 8) 8) 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2023, 12:33:17 PM »
Thanks, mate! :smiley: :icon_alabanza:

Just bought SMS's Lancaster paint set today, so camo painting shouldn't be too far away. ;)

Lots of godawful masking between now & then, though. :o

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2023, 04:25:42 AM »
Really is almost there.

Coming along swimmingly well, the subtle engine changes really work well

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2023, 05:49:30 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2023, 12:04:12 PM »
Right, cockpit glasshouse masking is done! :smiley:

And so are my eyes! :-\

Think I'll give them a bit of a rest, now, & come back to it in a while to do the other pre-painting bits. 8)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2023, 05:34:58 PM »
You know those little bits you find just before (or just after) you're about to make a major step towards finishing the model? ???

Well, I've just found a few! :icon_crap: :icon_crap: :icon_crap:

Hopefully won't take long to fix but annoying, none the less. ::)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2023, 12:06:37 AM »
You know those little bits you find just before (or just after) you're about to make a major step towards finishing the model? ???

Well, I've just found a few! :icon_crap: :icon_crap: :icon_crap:

Hopefully won't take long to fix but annoying, none the less. ::)
Glad to see I am not the only one that suffers from this phenomena.  For me it seems that when the Carpet Monster has grown tired of hoarding the missing parts.  The missing part is then ejected from the carpet to some place that had been thoroughly searched previously to then be discovered again.  Then comes the fun part of trying to remember where you put the box that is the home to that same missing part so you can return it to the kit and pick up where you left off on that work in progress. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2023, 07:17:50 AM »
I wish the Vinyl Monster was as generous! ;D

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2023, 07:29:05 PM »
Been doing a bit of pre-camo painting & tomorrow should be the Big Day (well, Evening) when the camo is, finally, started! :smiley:

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2023, 10:58:10 PM »
Looking forward to the paint! Up arming the turrets is always a good idea.