Author Topic: Re: Airvell 1/72 Avro Winchester B.I/B.III - FINISHED - Pic's pg. 6 & 7  (Read 14490 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Airvell 1/72 Avro Mancaster B.I/B.III
« Reply #125 on: April 23, 2023, 03:57:31 PM »
PS: I failed to mention that I've decided on a name change; no longer is this the Mancaster, it is now the Winchester! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #126 on: April 23, 2023, 11:11:26 PM »
OK, having a break while my eyes & hands try to recover from trying to paint 1/144" (1/2" RW in 1/72 scale) lines around the cone-shaped pointy bits of bombs freehand. :-\

I will state that I flat-out failed, but not as badly as I thought I would. Will need some touch up work & they're not really in scale but they should be good enough. ;)

I still have more lines to paint (1" RW = 1/72" in scale).

The easiest to do is the 4,000lb HC bomb, it's just a big cylinder of thin mild steel around a lot of explosives. Tape works on that! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #127 on: April 26, 2023, 09:34:04 AM »
Build is being delayed by infuriating bomb painting issues. If this keeps up I'm going for a closed bomb bay! >:D

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2023, 09:09:36 AM »
Sometimes it's worth being a little out of scale so that it looks " right"

Stick with it OW this is shaping up to be an impressive build  :smiley:

Mog
>^-.-^<

P.S.  would thin decal be any easier ?  or just too fiddly at that size

Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2023, 12:13:13 AM »
Thanks, 'Mog! :smiley:

I'm getting there, slowly.

The 4,000lb HC bomb is done (easy, it's just a big cylinder) & the 4 x 1,000lb GP's are done to my satisfaction. Just the 8 x 500lb SAP bombs to go & they're moving forward one step at a time (I'll be going to put the 2nd bands on shortly).

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #130 on: April 28, 2023, 03:01:21 PM »
Probably too late to help you now, but I always found it easier to spray the ID bands' colours on ordnance before masking off the bands and then continuing on with the top colours. Saved a bit of stress.
Ya got any more pics?? ;)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2023, 10:40:39 PM »
Not yet, mate. ;D

Once the bombs are done & fitted, it'll be a few small finishing bits & I'll have finished photo's up. :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2023, 11:57:46 PM »
OK, the SAP bands are touched up & are as (not very) good as I'm ever going to get them. They're drying now &, when that's done, I'll do the green bands.

After that will be gloss coat, oil washes, then matt coat & fitting.

Then it'll be adding the last little bits & finishing touches.

Hopefully that will mean I'll be able to take "completed" photo's.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #133 on: April 30, 2023, 02:02:18 AM »
Green bands done ... They, too, need touching up. :-\

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #134 on: April 30, 2023, 10:37:03 AM »
Green band touch-up work done, & I've put a bit of metallic silver (Humbrol) on the nose for the fuses' striker caps.

Drying now.

Next I'll glue on the racks before gloss coating, then oil wash, etc., etc., etc.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #135 on: May 02, 2023, 12:54:32 AM »
12,000lb of high explosive ordnance loaded & ready to go! :D

A few shots of matt clear required to fix up a few glue spots (once they're dry) but, other than that, the load-out is finished. Not perfect but good enough for government work!

Almost on the home stretch, now! :smiley:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #136 on: May 02, 2023, 03:13:24 AM »
Antici................................................................PATION!  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #137 on: May 02, 2023, 03:40:17 AM »
Captures blending of Manchester and Lancaster so well.    Excellent concept and build  :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #138 on: May 02, 2023, 05:23:04 PM »
Thanks, Jeff & Bill! :smiley: :smiley:

Bomb bay doors fitted & glue drying - & weren't they a right PitA! ::)

I'm going to get all the little bits done, so I can hit all the glue marks & any possible fix-ups with one hit of flat/matt clear rather than lots of little ones.

Plus there's one small bit of scratch building to be done before I finish, too; the framework between the rear turret & the "Village Inn" radar housing.

Seems the closer I'm getting to finishing, the more little bits seem to pop their heads up to be done. Of course I might be further along if I hadn't had to spend almost 2 hours searching for the starboard nav light. :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #139 on: May 02, 2023, 10:56:26 PM »
Of course I might be further along if I hadn't had to spend almost 2 hours searching for the starboard nav light. :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:
I think you got off easy in your search for the part in question when you consider the size of that navigation light in 1/72nd scale,  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #140 on: May 02, 2023, 11:20:32 PM »
Of course I might be further along if I hadn't had to spend almost 2 hours searching for the starboard nav light. :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:
I think you got off easy in your search for the part in question when you consider the size of that navigation light in 1/72nd scale,  :smiley:

Not when I'd been searching for it on the floor & found it still on the bloody table! :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #141 on: May 03, 2023, 08:22:01 AM »

Not when I'd been searching for it on the floor & found it still on the bloody table! :-\ :-\ :-\

Been there !!

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #142 on: May 05, 2023, 09:09:11 AM »
Oh yes I've been there too  :-\

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #143 on: May 05, 2023, 11:30:22 AM »
Frustrating Yes  --  but nice to know we are each not alone when it comes to such things.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2023, 09:49:39 PM »

Little bits successfully affixed! :smiley:

Now there's just the matter of a tiny bit of paintwork damage that will be covered over by a bit of heavier, but still appropriate, dirtying.

After that will be a squirt of matt clear before the turrets are emplaced & the "Village Inn" connected to the rear turret.

Things are looking up! ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #145 on: May 12, 2023, 08:54:23 AM »
Things are getting close!

Just have the "Village Inn" to finish & she's ostensibly done.

However, matt coating revealed some gluey lumps along the rear half of on of the bomb bay door "hinge" joins*, which the craftsman in me is demanding that I fix before calling her done.

[*: Not surprising, really, when you consider how much trouble they gave me getting them on in the first place.]

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #146 on: May 14, 2023, 06:49:19 PM »
Photo's & backstory are being processed, so here's something to keep you entertained.

Specifications (Manchester Mk I)

General characteristics
    Crew: 7; pilot, flight engineer, navigator, bomb aimer/nose gunner, wireless operator, mid-upper and rear gunners
    Length: 70 ft (21.34 m)
    Wingspan: 90 ft 1 in (27.46 m)
    Height: 19 ft 6 in (5.94 m)
    Empty weight: 31,200 lb (14,152 kg)
    Max takeoff weight: 50,000 lb (22,680 kg)
    Powerplant: 2 × Rolls-Royce Vulture I X-24 liquid-cooled piston engine, 1,760 hp (1,310 kW) each
    Propellers: 3-bladed constant-speed feathering propellers

Performance
    Maximum speed: 265 mph (426 km/h, 230 kn) at 17,000 ft (5,182 m)
    Range: 1,200 mi (1,900 km, 1,000 nmi) with maximum bomb load of 10,350 lb (4,695 kg)
    Service ceiling: 19,200 ft (5,900 m)

Armament
    Guns: 8 × 0.303 in (7.7 mm) Browning machine guns, (nose (2), dorsal (2) and tail (4) turrets)
    Bombs: 10,350 lb (4,695 kg) bomb load

Specifications (Lancaster I)

General characteristics
    Crew: 7: pilot, flight engineer, navigator, bomb aimer/nose gunner, wireless operator, mid-upper and rear gunners
    Length: 69 ft 4 in (21.13 m)
    Wingspan: 102 ft 0 in (31.09 m)
    Height: 20 ft 6 in (6.25 m)
    Empty weight: 36,900 lb (16,738 kg)
    Max takeoff weight: 68,000 lb (30,844 kg)
    Powerplant: 4 × Rolls-Royce Merlin XX V-12 liquid-cooled piston engines, 1,280 hp (950 kW) each
    Propellers: 3-bladed

Performance
    Maximum speed: 282 mph (454 km/h, 245 kn) at 63,000 lb (28,576 kg) and 13,000 ft (3,962 m) altitude
    Range: 2,530 mi (4,070 km, 2,200 nmi)
    Service ceiling: 21,400 ft (6,500 m) at 63,000 lb (29,000 kg)
    Rate of climb: 720 ft/min (3.7 m/s) at 63,000 lb (29,000 kg) and 9,200 ft (2,800 m) altitude

Armament
    Guns: 8 × 0.303 in (7.7 mm) Browning machine guns, (nose (2), dorsal (2) and tail (4) turrets)
    Bombs: Maximum normal bomb load of 14,000 lb (6,400 kg) of bombs

Specifications (Winchester Mk III)

General characteristics
    Crew: 6; pilot, flight engineer, navigator/ wireless operator, bomb aimer, nose and rear gunners
    Length: 67 ft 6 in (21.43 m)
    Wingspan: 90 ft (27.46 m)
    Height: 18 ft (5.47 m)
    Empty weight: 29,000 lb (13,154 kg)
    Max takeoff weight: 60,000 lb (27,216 kg)
    Powerplant: 2 × English Electric/Napier Sabre Vb H-24-cylinder, liquid-cooled, sleeve valve, piston aero engine, 2,850 hp (2,130 kW) each
    Propellers: 4-bladed de Havilland or Rotol constant-speed propellers

Performance
    Maximum speed: 295 mph (475 km/h, 256 kn) at 17,000 ft (5,182 m)
    Range: 2,250 mi (3,620 km, 1955 nmi) with maximum bomb load of 12,000 lb (5445 kg)
    Service ceiling: 20,500 ft (6,250 m)

Armament
    Guns: 4 × 20 mm Hispano Mk.III autocannon, (nose (2) and tail (2) turrets)
    Bombs: 13,000 lb (5,900 kg) maximum bomb load

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #147 on: May 14, 2023, 06:50:24 PM »
Bomb! B-b-bomb! Bomb!
Bomb! B-b-bomb! Bomb!
Bomb! B-b-bomb! Bomb!
Bomb! B-b-BOMB!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #148 on: May 14, 2023, 06:52:37 PM »
Avro Winchester:

The Winchester had developed an early reputation of unreliability due to its Napier Sabre engines, with the Napier company appearing to be complacent about various issues with the engines, including extremely poor quality control, and the squadron flight crews and maintainers were not too happy about receiving them.

However, Napier had been forcibly acquired by English Electric in December 1941*, on the insistence of the Ministry of Aircraft Production, and English Electric had been quick to rectify the QC issues and had fixed most of the design problems by March 1942, moving on to develop a new turbo-supercharger to improve high-altitude performance. The Winchesters supplied to 465 Squadron RAAF were the latest versions including all of these improvements and were soon loved by the personnel.

Developed in parallel with the Lancaster by Avro to replace its less-than-stellar predecessor, the Manchester, the Winchester was smaller than either aircraft, but not by a lot, and, despite its poor start, had developed into a reliable, relatively fast and agile bomber occupying the niche role of heavy-medium bomber.

Avro Winchester TZ-W (MW496) of 465 Sqn RAAF operating out of RAF Winthorpe:

No. 465 Squadron RAAF was an Article XV Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) bomber squadron during World War II. Formed in the United Kingdom in July 1942, and flying out of RAF Swinderby, from its formation until January 1943, when the squadron moved barely 5 miles to RAF Winthorpe, due to operational problems during poor weather at their former airfield, the squadron undertook combat operations in Europe until the end of the war, flying the heavy-medium Winchester bomber aircraft.

Unlike most Article XV RAAF squadrons, 465 Squadron benefited from an influx of RAAF graduates of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan arriving just as it was formed and a little over 30% of its aircrew were Australian, with the rest coming from the other BCATP signatories plus, somehow, a smattering of Poles, Czechs and one Ukrainian, who had fled Stalin’s “Collectivisation” Holodomor.

No. 465 Squadron led a hectic life from the moment it was formed and TZ-W (MW496) was there from the start. By March 1944 she had clocked up 99 missions & had kept 3 crews safe to the end of their tours of duty, with an upgrade from Mk.I to Mk.III, by replacing her English Electric improved Napier Sabre Mk.IIs with English Electric/Napier Sabre Vb (bomber) engines with improved altitude performance (achieved by fitting a much better turbo-supercharger), after her 50th mission.

TZ-W (MW496) was lost with all her crew on the night of the 24th-25th of March, 1944, on the ill-fated final big RAF bombing mission over Berlin. This was her 100th mission and the crew’s final mission before being rotated off front-line combat duties. It is believed she was shot down by a Ju.88 night-fighter.

In memory of all those who lost their lives in Bomber Command, 1939-1945.

[*: This is fudging history a bit by bringing the enforced take-over of Napier by English Electric forward by 12 months.]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 06:56:10 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #149 on: May 14, 2023, 06:53:27 PM »