Author Topic: Land Rover Series III 109" LWB  (Read 5645 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Land Rover Series III 109" LWB
« on: October 02, 2019, 07:16:06 AM »
This is a story of a failed model. I started this kit in April and finished it today. It was the last kit my modelling buddy Espresso helped me with.

I've always been a fan of the older Land Rover Series II and III and my Dad had one (either II or III) when I was a kid.
The only Land Rover III available in 1/35 is the Italeri kit - it comes in several boxings ( the Revell kit is a reboxing) and I have a couple. I decided to build the Guardia Civil boxing, since it has the option for left hand drive.
I already knew that the kit's wheels were completely wrong, so I bought a Land Rover III wheel set from Shapeways, which wouldn't fit without major surgery. Grrr... so I got the DEF Model US RSOV Defender MT Sagged Wheel Set (close enough to the LR III wheels) and they fit.

The rest of the kit is just not that great - poor fit, very soft details and no fuel filler port or cap. I had originally planned a post-nuclear back story, but just lost interest with all the screwups in this kit.

The fuel and water cans are from a very nice Meng set. The fuel filler is from a spare side from an Academy M998 Humvee kit; it probably should have gone on the left (driver's) side.
The roof rack is from Shapeways. I added some Meng bolts to the sides as well.
I designed and printed the Warn winch in the front. It was one of my first prints on my AnyCubuc Photon. I have a newer design with the cable in place.
The mud splatter, is completely screwed up, which is what made me decide to end this build:

The DEF wheels are nice, but their masks don't work well on this set. The windshield wipers are from some random PE that I had:

The winch came out OK:

Threading the cable was ridiculous, though, hence my redesign (this is the original):

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 07:23:44 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Land Rover Series III 109" LWB
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 07:48:14 AM »
No matter Frank, it still looks good!  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 08:48:13 AM »
I think it looks great. 8) :smiley: :smiley:

The mud spatter isn't as bad as you seem to think it is, Frank, to my eyes, but I haven't seen the rear of the build (no pic's). Sure there are some incongruous bare spots but the worst of those could be camouflaged by the judicious placement of some built-up mud around the wheel arches. The others all look like the general places where people moving around or getting in & out of the vehicle will remove dirt/dust by handling or brushing against the area. The windscreen looks like someone has tried to wipe it clean & failed - no biggie there, happens all the time out bush.

All images of Series III Land Rovers that I could find have the filler port on the right side of the vehicle but (mostly, not exclusively) higher than yours is placed - they seem to have had an inordinate number of variations of cap type & placement but I think that's just a function of how long they were being manufactured for.

Oh, & BSM make a set of resin wheels for Series II/III Land Rovers, just in case you want to have another go at it; https://www.bnamodelworld.com/parts-decals-for-1:35-scale-bsm-bsm-352003
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 09:45:04 PM »
That's simply amazing, Frank and a true master-class in weathering!

I think this is the gem of your collection of builds.

And it's well-traveled as well as well done!

Brian da Basher

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 01:51:34 AM »
Thanks guys - it was just such a disappointing kit (vs my hope/expectations). Hopefully the Hobby Boss Defender 110 doesn't suck.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 02:29:31 AM »
It looks great to me.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 05:59:09 AM »
I think you are being a little hard on yourself, if I can achieve anything close to this when I start modelling in this scale I will be a very happy bunny, the weathering on the windshield is particularly good.

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 03:46:00 PM »
...weathering on the windshield is particularly good...

My thought too Mog. Definitely time for a set of new blades on those PE wipers  ;)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 02:54:37 AM »
The kit's windshield wipers were molded on and looked like oblong lumps. I masked the path of the wipers, but some of the dust/flat paint seeped under the mask, so I used a micro brush to wipe the excess away. So someone did try to wipe the windshield and gave up when it was good enough - me!

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 11:45:27 AM »
very well done

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 08:22:43 PM »
Stumbled upon this, posted here primarily as I wanted to show Frank but others should appreciate it as well
https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/lrs3project

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 03:49:38 AM »
That's a nice, large (1/24) scale Landrover!

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2023, 03:08:02 AM »
Excellent job! Needs an oil puddle underneath it  :P

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2023, 06:52:03 AM »
Excellent job! Needs an oil puddle underneath it  :P

And a tiny LED on a random flash generator to illustrate the Lucas within.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2023, 09:49:04 AM »
no fuel filler port or cap.

Obviously one of those new electric conversions ;D

I hope my chopped up kit ends up looking half as good.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2023, 10:03:15 AM »
An electric LR III would be "interesting".

Some Land Rovers had the fuel fill cap inside, either under a seat or in the back.

A land Rover without an oily puddle is a Land Rover without oil.