Modelling > "Automatons on Parade" Uninhabited/autonomous vehicles GB

Kettering Bug

(1/4) > >>

PFJN:
Hi,
I finally got around to starting to 3D print my Kettering Bug model.  I got the 3D model from CG Trader for about $12 bucks, and although it doesn't look like it was specifically made for 3D printing, so far all but one part has printed out very well.  So far, I have printed the main fuselage (with the engine cylinder heads attached) and the tail pieces.  I am currently printing the cart for the craft, and will next try printing the left and right wing assemlies, each as a unit including the top and bottom wings with the struts.  After that I just need to go back and maybe reprint a piece that goes along the top front half of the fuselage.

Regards

Pat

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/aircraft/military-aircraft/kettering-bug-forerunner-to-the-cruise-missile

Jeffry Fontaine:
Looks promising.  What scale is this model?

PFJN:
Hi,
That's a good question.  In general, it looks like the 3D model was done in meters, but not all the dimensions lined up with the limited data that I had on the full scale craft (though they were reasonably close).  As such, assuming the 3D model is correct, I printed it out at about 1/25 scale.   So I would say 1/25 + or - maybe a percent or two  :icon_crap: which allowed my to fit each major part (or section) within the limits of my 3D printer.

PFJN:
Hi,
Here is another picture of what I have been able to print and prime so far.  The last main piece that is printing right now is the left wing assembly.  I'm happy with how the cart printed out, but it is kind of fragle.  In looking at images and mockups on the internet I have seen some variation in how this cart looks, with some mock ups of the Bug looking close to the 3D model and some looking a little different.  I am not sure if any specific depiction is more accurate and/or the configuration of the actual cart may have varied over time, so for now I am just going to leave it mostly as is.  One small cahnge that I may make though would be to add a cross piece at the top aft end (shown to the right in the image below).  In some of the mockups that I have seen on the internet it appears that there is one, which would make sense since right now there does not appear to be anything to support the aft end of the craft in the cradle to keep the "drone" more or less level on the cart.

Regards

Pat

Frank3k:
Looks interesting. Are you using an FDM or a resin printer?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version