Author Topic: 1/35 Land Rover 88 Series IIa  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
1/35 Land Rover 88 Series IIa
« on: June 23, 2023, 10:36:27 AM »
I decided to start with the crane version of the three AK Interactive Land Rover 88 kits:

While the UK decal options in the kit are appealing, I'm going to make this one as a fictitious? Road Assistance vehicle roaming Interstate 40 and Route 66 in the Mojave in the early 1960s and helping drivers.

I'm using Roy's Cafe in Amboy, California for inspiration.

They also had an auto repair garage and "Buster" Burris - who ran the Cafe, garage and most of the town - once fixed a tire for me (for free) after a wood splinter (or thorn) had gone straight into my sidewall.

The AK kit is extremely detailed and most of the construction involves building the chassis and the engine:

Since this is a US based LR., it's a left hand drive vehicle. Next time I build one of these kits,  I'll assemble the chassis and engine and skip the painting until the very end.

Right now I'm building the body, which has some challenges. At least there are spare bits that I can use with some of the old Italeri Land Rover IIIs that Story sent me.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: 1/35 Land Rover 88 Series IIa
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2023, 09:09:31 PM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 09:47:38 PM »
I will be following this build, I want to get a couple of these Landies at some point.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2023, 11:34:01 PM »
Why am I starting to think of a British version of Mater from the movie Cars?

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2023, 12:06:28 PM »
I made some progress on the body - lots of small parts (and PE) so progress isn't obvious. On page 22 of the instructions (not the exact kit, but same step) step 35, you get to install the tail lights and the covers (PE33, PE34), which are a PE pieces. The final shape is only vaguely illustrated in the instructions. After some trial and error with the first one, I got the shape correct. They should look like this (back, front):

They're a tight fit, in part thanks to part E1. Make sure it's really in and flush when installing it. This is what the PE covers look like, installed. The small gap on the one on the right should be easy to fix:

I also dry fitted the windshield, cabin roof and rear window. Barely visible are the PE shields or guides for the windshield wipers. There's no obvious location for them and looking at the instructions on page 23 they seem to want them attached to the windshield by only the smallest contact area. I ended up putting the wider solid section part under the windshield:

I'm not sure if the gaps between the headlight panel, front side fenders and the top of the wheel well are supposed to be there. The pictures I've seen so far seem to show the gap at the front with the headlights, but they've been unclear about the other gap. A bit of putty would fix it, but I don't want to have to undo it if the gap is supposed to be there.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2023, 01:56:16 PM »
Looks really neat.

Short Wheel base Series II...hmmm RAR Gun Buggy perhaps.

Beats a big conversion from the Italeri Series II.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2023, 02:41:03 PM »
Just bought this set from a certain retailer in the UK. So, of course, they just turned up at BNA this week.

And I have the two military AK 88's & a(nother) FJ43 in my cart at BNA waiting for pay day to roll around.

I think I also have an AFV Club 106mm recoilless in a box somewhere, too (the one that came with the TOW  ... See below) but I may buy another set, as they're kinda useful items to have floating around.

"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2023, 10:38:36 AM »
I've made progress on the LR 88. It's been a slog; partly my fault and partly the kit's. The best thing I can say for this kit is that it's better the Italeri version of the Land Rover. The kit has many extra parts, intended for other versions. This version had the spare tire in the cargo area. Instead, I used the hood with the spare tire mount

Decals applied, ready for a clear coat and weathering:

I'm leaving the windshield wipers off until the last minute. The license plate is the style used in California from the late 50s to the mid-late 60s, which should overlap the production years of the LR II/IIa. The plate has the month and year I'll finish this model:

I don't know if Roy's Cafe garage had a Land Rover, or if it even had a dedicated tow vehicle. It may have. In any case, I duplicated the sign and added some self explanatory text.

If/when i build another version of this kit, these are the areas I'll skip or be careful with. In addition to the PE issues in the previous posts:

Chassis: paint it black and skip most of the engine construction. Note and mask the wheel and chassis attachment point (luckily, I did). If a random kit's oil pan (or even a small one from a 1/24 or 1/25 scale kit) is available, it can be used in place of the kit's oil pan. The engine can then be built and displayed separately.

Forward lights: the two small lights can be left off until the body has been painted (but before the chassis is attached). The fit is pretty tight, so slightly enlarge the holes If they're painted. The clear headlights will not fit without a considerable amount of  trimming - they have to be between 0.25-0.5mm smaller in diameter.

Interior: Pretty straightforward. The seat locations aren't well defined. Install the pedals first and the steering wheel last.
Cabin transparencies: They're not very clear, especially the side windows. I replaced the driver's side window with some thin clear plastic and posed it open. I had to sand and polish the passenger's side window because it wasn't clear at all. Some of the rear windows may need work as well.

Doors: The fit OK, but the doors, cabin roof, cabin rear and windshield have to be carefully assembled to minimize gaps.

Windshield: The main problem here is the tiny PE wiper shields/guides. The installation location isn't clear and I ended up replacing one with a small loop of 30 gauge wire. The PE raises the windshield slightly, which causes other problems. I may just skip them (or just use the loops) next time.

Tires: They're vinyl and they're not great. They're not solid and the material is very soft, so getting rid of the mold lines will be tough. I'll consider after market resin tires if they become available, or use the DEF models LR III resin wheels.

Crane: Again, iffy construction instructions. Good luck finding wire or string thin enough. I used 30 gauge solid wire again. I noticed that it has a bend that I'll have to fix.

Next up is the weathering.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 10:44:00 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2023, 05:35:17 AM »
I think I'm done with this one. I'm not happy with the results, although it's mainly my fault - rather than study the kit construction in detail I jumped in and wasted far too much time and motivation on the engine and chassis, which are just not visible.

Top view, with some useful bits in the cargo area and our French buddy for scale:

Front view - I used the wrong pigments for weathering and didn't get the results I wanted and short of repainting, there wasn't much I could do without damaging the underlying paint job:

The dirty shop towel is a square of paper shop towel. I took a red car the Mojave once - same trip when "Buster" Burris fixed my tire - when I got back, the red car looked orange from all the dust. It probably would have looked like this if I'd stayed in the desert longer:

It's 47C/116F in Amboy today, 212 miles/341km from here.

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2023, 05:37:49 AM »
That was fast. Another great job! Love the weathering.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2023, 06:19:30 AM »
Nice work, I like it. :smiley:
The build process feedback was good to know, most probably I would have forgotten all about it by the time I might get the urge to build one of these ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2023, 11:22:52 PM »
Well, I think it looks good! :smiley:

But it needs some sort of virulent green to finish it off; I have no idea why but almost every old Land Rover I've ever seen, no matter what the environment, always seems to have some bright green mould /moss growing in the gutters of the roof & along the ledges of the bodywork. Weird! :-\

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2023, 03:55:17 AM »
I know what you mean, Guy. I tried - it just didn't look right. I wanted this look:

but my base coat was just too yellow. Oh well - two more in the stash, plus many Italeri copies to shorten.