Author Topic: Titan Space Launch Vehicle  (Read 3892 times)

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Titan Space Launch Vehicle
« on: January 21, 2023, 01:13:25 PM »
Well, I broke my rule about finishing things before starting new stuff. So here is my take on a Titan style vehicle ready to launch some satellites. I'm putting it in Sci Fi as its not a replica of an actual launch vehicle but my take on what one could have looked like based on what I have available to work with. Thanks to Jeff Fontaine for the the big ole box of stuff he sent me that these parts have come from. I think the Titan missile is from one of those US missile sets, one of which was recently redone by Atlantis Models. I believe the SRBs were some sort of Soviet missile. It will be put to more peaceful purposes here. The satellite payload shroud is PVC pipe, a PS shot glass and two PS miniature martini glasses. Here's a couple of pics so far.

This is it so far. I'll be adding details as I go. It will take lots of white paint to cover that green.

This is what I'm aiming for. I have to decide if I want USAF markings or United States/NASA markings. Looks like I'll have to print some more decals. I also have to build the bottom of each booster with better nozzles. I don't know what kind of base to build for this. Definitely not a whole launch tower. We shall see.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
Re: Titan Space Launch Vehicle
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 11:27:28 PM »
It sure looks good so far.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 02:28:01 AM »
Looks good., especially the payload shroud.

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 05:52:21 PM »
Neat use of found objects  :smiley:

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Kerick

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 02:29:37 AM »
I’ve been adding semi correct greeblies to the SRBs and payload shroud. Mostly bands around the SRBs at regular spacing and conduits or whatever it is up the side. I’ve got new nozzles for the SRBs and the Titan but I need the skirt that each piece has at the bottom that appears to hold the nozzle.
Also when I paint this part of the Titan will be white and part NMF. In what order do I apply this? I don’t think NMF first will work as the masking tape will probably pull it off. So it would be white all over first, mask it off, apply black then finally NMF. What sort of NMF would you recommend? I’ve avoided NMF like a plague for ages so I’m a newbie at it.

Offline Robomog

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 01:56:51 PM »
I'd suggest flat aluminium, or Tamiya metallic grey,  chrome silver would be too shiny

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Kerick

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 01:39:28 AM »
At this scale that’s worth a try. A lot simpler too.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 12:41:42 PM »
Here's what the SRBs look like so far. Lots of white evergreen strips. I've tried to recreate the nozzles.

This is the new nozzle. The clear part is the bottom 5mm or so of a plastic communion cup from church. It worked perfectly. The problem is I only had one in the greeblie box so now I have to go to church Sunday to get more. I don't know if there is communion on Sunday so I may have to ask for some politely. The nozzle itself is a 1/32nd scale P-40 spinner. At least I had two of those.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 02:01:29 PM »
  :smiley:  Creative   :smiley:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2023, 04:03:56 PM »
@Kerick - the SRB bits are Russian/Soviet SS-18 SATAN or SS-9 SCARP ICBMs from the old Monogram 1/144th scale US - USSR Missile set.  The Titan was from the ancient Monogram 1/128th scale missile set

Your improvments to create the SRB units are a great improvement over the original models. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Kerick

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2023, 07:01:28 PM »
Thanks for the info and the compliment!

Offline Kerick

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2023, 01:18:48 PM »
I've been working on the Titan in dribs and drabs but I have gotten something done. The SRBs are former Soviet missiles that I thought were too long. It turns out part of the missile I cut off had to be added back on as the bottom skirt I added to the Titan made it long enough to look too tall for the SRBs. At least I hadn't thrown those cut offs away! The cuts will be hidden by more white bands of Evergreen strip.

Here's the skirt I mentioned.

The payload shroud has been attached.

That's all for now. I may attempt a launch platform of sorts for a display.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 01:57:02 PM by Kerick »

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2023, 11:57:26 PM »
The detailing looks really good.

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2023, 06:01:53 AM »

You wouldn't know this wasn't an OOB Build . . . .   :smiley:

This is the new nozzle. The clear part is the bottom 5mm or so of a plastic communion cup from church. It worked perfectly. The problem is I only had one in the greeblie box so now I have to go to church Sunday to get more. I don't know if there is communion on Sunday so I may have to ask for some politely. The nozzle itself is a 1/32nd scale P-40 spinner. At least I had two of those.
Ain't that always the way? Find the perfect part, but then you need two, and you've only got the one . . .   :icon_twisted:

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline Kerick

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2023, 01:53:48 PM »

You wouldn't know this wasn't an OOB Build . . . .   :smiley:

Ain't that always the way? Find the perfect part, but then you need two, and you've only got the one . . .   :icon_twisted:

cheers,
Robin.

I stopped off at the church today and picked up a couple of communion cups. I got some laughs from the church secretary but she set me up. She asked for a pic when I’m done. It’s already cut and glued to the SRB. It’s nice that they are PS so no gluing problems.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2023, 04:27:41 PM »
Annnd we have some primer! Much better looking than that green.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2023, 04:11:55 AM »
Amazing what a good coat of paint will do for appearances!  Looks so much better now with paint covering all of the parts with different colors. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Kerick

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2023, 03:27:36 PM »
I’m going to put two rods through the Titan and attach the two SRBs that way. It should improve alignment and attachment strength. I’m spending more time on the Yellow Submarine as it has a deadline of next Saturday’s club meeting. I’ll need to print some decals for this, probably USAF. I’m going to try to finish the Shuttle C I started a long time ago and I can print those decals too. Maybe some NASA WB-57F decals too. It’s an A4 sheet and I’d like to fill it.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2023, 02:49:43 PM »
I installed the rods to hold the SRBs and was having an awful time getting the one SRB to line up with the Titan. Finally I figured out the attachment point on the SRB was off and I had to reattach it in its proper place. Much better now. I bought some Valejo metallic paint for the Titan missile body as much of it is bare metal. I think the name of the color was dull aluminum. A friend of mine from the model club speaks highly of it. He said Floquil is better if you can find it. I think I'll paint all the white first, mask off the bare metal, then black undercoat, then the metallic. I'm considering getting one or two more shades for the fun of it.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2023, 04:04:34 PM »
I haven't given up on this. I've been doing the art work for decals for 3 different projects. The Titan launcher, the Shuttle C previously mentioned and a NASA WB-57 using the Italerari B-57, the DB resin and vacuform parts and a new cockpit donated by an F-14 that will get made into the medium bomber.
I picked up two colors of metallic paint by Vallejo. Never tried it so we will see.

If I get really crazy I could do a small space plane on top of the Titan that would be a cross between a Dynasoar and an X-38.

Offline Dr. YoKai

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2023, 10:07:58 PM »
If I get really crazy I could do a small space plane on top of the Titan that would be a cross between a Dynasoar and an X-38.

That sounds like a fine idea.

Offline Robomog

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2023, 03:08:45 AM »
Sounds good to me to  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Kerick

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2023, 04:37:59 PM »
Decals are printed and look great. Now I have to spray, spray, spray!

Offline Kerick

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2023, 12:52:12 PM »
Here's the decal sheet I've been working on. Some of the art work was really tedious pixel by pixel work in Paint to clean up the image. The NASA swoosh for the WB-57 tail was a real pain as I couldn't find a straight on shot of it so I had to adapt it from the NASA logo. Others were simple cut and paste. At least the government logos are public domain so no copyright issues. Not like I'm going to sell it anyway. I was able to download the font for the US AIR FORCE. Its called amarillousaf. The United States font is Helvectia medium. I did grab the tilted lettering for the WB-57 off the net and had to literally cut and paste then scan it in. Easy to bring it into Power Point from there. I put it all together in Power Point and added the stripes and dots.

If I do the space plane it will be based on the X-38 and its descendant the Dream Chaser.

The Titan is 1/128th scale so I'll see how that translates to a space plane. I've got a small Space Shuttle that might be a good start. I have a Micro Scale sheet with American flags on it. I need to dig that out.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2023, 01:56:56 AM »
Space plane will have to wait for now. Painting of the Titan white parts is done. The bare metal is next. Please pray for me. I may loose my mind. Other detail painting is also nearly complete. I just need to suck it up and spray!