Author Topic: Ian McQue style diorama  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Ian McQue style diorama
« on: May 07, 2022, 06:11:46 AM »
I'm starting a new thread for the Ian McQue project I've been working on for a while now. It seems its been so long without an update folks have forgotten what it was all about. So I'm collecting previously posted stuff in one place to make it a bit more organized.

I started with a tower made from a tank from a 1/24th scale truck trailer and some CD discs. Then I built a construction style monster generator set from a shelter from a 1/35th scale US Army truck.

Here's the pics I promised.

Offline Kerick

Re: Ian McQue style diorama
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 06:12:47 AM »
A little progress.

Here's the generator, the tower and the base of the jib crane on top. The tower is made from the tank from a 1/24th scale tanker truck trailer I've had laying around for 40 years or so. The platforms are CD discs.

The top platform I rebuilt using sheet plastic and Evergreen I beams. The device on top is a polystyrene shot glass sanded to sit at an angle so that one side is vertical and will get a door added to it soon. Waiting for a package from Hobbylinc with open web truss beams to make the jibs from. The package from Micro Mark is waiting at the post office if I can get the rest of the family out of the house I can pick that up. Waiting for the sun to come out so I can UV cast some extra parts.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 06:18:06 AM »
Construction crane is nearly done. Added doors to two levels of the tower.

Paint soon and then rust and dirt!

I made a Grumpy’s Gas and Grease sign by bringing in the image into power point, sizing it down, copying it several times on one page and printing it out on paper. I cut out one image and used Tamiya glue and glued it to the thinnest plastic I had. I then glued another to the opposite side and trimmed it down. Surprisingly the glue didn’t change the colors at all. So once I paint the boom I can add the sign.
Working on the tower now adding lots of details and greeblies. I bought a can of iron oxide primer for a base then I’ll try the salt method to have primer showing through the topcoat. Going to try adding conduit made from old sprues that have quarter round corners. That and different size sprues from different kits should give variety. I was thinking of painting them yellow for fuel, red for electrical and orange for communications to add some color just like the utility color codes. Might happen yet.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2022, 06:21:53 AM »
Built a forklift type device for the construction crane for lifting pallets. Pretty sure I’ve seen similar devices at construction sites but it’s been awhile. I need to take and load some pics. Weather is supposed to be warm tomorrow and Wednesday so maybe some painting.

Here's the pics as promised.

I painted the trolley and forklift with Testors yellow chromate primer. I don't know if its a good chromate color but it gives a nice "used" shade of yellow. I added several conduits made from sprue using the curved corners of the set without ordering bunches of curved Plastruct elbows.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 06:35:34 AM »
My daughter suggested I use a figure she gave me for Christmas last year on this current project. Its the Hasbro Star Wars Mission Fleet figure of the Mandalorian and The Child. Not sure of the scale but bigger than 1/35th. The pilot figure is 1/48th.

I may have to reevaluate the scope and scale of this build!!!
The figures are pretty good but the speeder bike looks like something made from Legos.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 06:38:29 AM »
Well, back in December I promised paint and rust. Finally it happened! Krylon white, Testors red and Micro Mark Rust and Dust. Not too shabby. Especially since I bought the Rust and Dust years ago and it was still fine. I found that putting on a second coat the first coat would sort of brake loose and form a more patchy rust look. It worked well over the white and yellow while dulling down the red. Tell me what you think.

I hope this all makes better sense now. All future updates will go here. Also thanks for all the kind and constructive comments I couldn't figure out how to move. The complete sequence so far is under my Strange Observations thread.

It also appears I put this in Aero-space and it would probably go better in sci fi. If one of the mods sees this and wants to move it please do so.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 06:49:13 AM by Kerick »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2022, 04:49:12 PM »
I'm starting a new thread for the Ian McQue project I've been working on for a while now. It seems its been so long without an update folks have forgotten what it was all about.

Excellent, because that'd be me! :smiley: :-[
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2022, 04:55:19 PM »
You sure you want to go bigger than 1/35? ???

The 1/48 figure doesn't look out of place there. In fact, with the 1/35 hatches you've used, he looks to be the perfect scale. :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2022, 09:05:16 AM »
I’m using 1/48th as I can use O gauge railroad parts along with Plastruct and Evergreen parts. Lots of model parts of various scales.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2022, 10:07:02 AM »
Yeah, I kinda misread the text & thought you were talking about the scale of the dio, not the Hasbro figures. :-[

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2022, 02:17:35 PM »
I like what I see.

I have loved this type of build since I saw this inspired piece a zillion years ago in Australian Plastic Modeller magazine.
https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/models/sci-fi/tower.htm

Certainly in the zone and really like where thisis going.
Great work :smiley:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 02:19:37 PM by Buzzbomb »

Offline Kerick

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2023, 02:30:15 AM »
Wow! It's been quite a while since I updated this! I'll have to take more pics as I've added a number of features to this project. The latest one is a 1/48th shipping container. Different O gauge railroad companies had them and they were either low on detail or $20 for one! So I checked the materials stash and discovered I had all the stuff to make one. So a few hours later I had this.

It's made from Plastruct and Evergreen sheets and shapes with a couple of dark colored tank parts, a door frame from from Tichy Train Group, clear and very thin PS from a food container and some etched brass someone gave me. First time I've used etched brass and I figured this was a great place to try it. Not too bad other than the lack of being able to adjust the position of the part because of the CA glue grabbing so fast. I've since painted it grey and will be weathering it with lots of rust. I'll take a few more pics of the whole set up and post soon.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2023, 05:58:55 AM »
 :smiley:  great use of spare parts.  We need a competition to see who can identify the most ;)

I thought this build might be better posted in the Land or Sci-Fi threads ?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 06:01:01 AM by raafif »

Offline Kerick

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2023, 03:19:36 PM »
It will eventually involve a couple of "flying ships" docked to the support tower. Sci Fi would probably be best.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2023, 04:46:13 PM »
Nice! 8)

And McCue-style definitely fits the Sci Fi brief. :smiley:

Offline Kerick

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2023, 03:10:19 AM »
If the moderator wants to move it go ahead. Sci fi should work fine.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2023, 05:15:21 AM »
Glad this popped up again, I really want to see this finished. Sometime, there is no time limit

Offline tiking

• Under investigation for passing off photos of real vehicles as models
  • Master Weatherer
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2023, 04:53:46 AM »
Brilliant.
Charles
Nothing is incapable beyond what you are capable

Offline Kerick

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2023, 01:04:18 PM »
Here's a couple of pics I promised. First up is the container I put a couple of decals on and some rust.

Then a little update on the tower. I added railings and an enclosed ladder among other bits and pieces.

Best part about this project is, the more imperfect it is, the better! The rust and abuse of the container isn't done yet.....

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2023, 09:29:07 PM »
Coming along nicely! 8)