Author Topic: BAe 225 Dominion VIP Transport  (Read 1510 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
BAe 225 Dominion VIP Transport
« on: October 09, 2022, 09:26:26 AM »
The BAe 225 Dominion VIP Transport

The Hawker Siddeley 225 had begun as a rival project to the Handley Page (later) Scottish Aviation Jetstream light turboprop. To speed HS.225 development, Hawker Siddeley simply combined two de Havilland designs - the wings of the DH.104 Dove and the (stretched) fuselage from the Series 2 DH.125 Dominie T.1. The protoype HS.225 flew in late 1976. Ironically, a year later, it was announced that Hawker Siddeley would be merging with Scottish Aviation (and BAC) to form British Aerospace.

Top Prototype Hawker Siddeley HS.225 flying with "B" class registration E.0246 (the 'HS' logo on the tailfin being the only other marking). Still unpainted at this point, the prototype has already been fitted with the longer nose radome of the Dominion T.3 for test flying.

As the BAe 225, the former HS.225 became British Aerospace's 'placeholder' in the turboprop executive aircraft field until the Scottish Aviation division could bring the 'Mark 3' Jetstream into play sometime in the early 1980s. Civilian orders were slow in coming but the BAe 225 entered limited RAF service as the Dominion T.3 radar operator trainer in early 1978. Another pair of Dominions were kitted out as VVIP transports for domestic hops by the Royal Flight - RAF No.32 (The Royal) Squadron.

After the 27 August 1979 assassination of Lord Mountbatten by the Provisional IRA, Royal Flight liveries were revised. Gone were formal titles and the Union Flag dominating the vertical tail. In their places were stock-standard RAF transport markings. When the Monarch was aboard, the Queen's Standard was displayed discretely through a cabin window.

Bottom British Aerospace Dominion C.2 VIP transport with RAF No.32 (The Royal) Squadron.  This Dominion is shown in the somewhat anonymous, post-October 1979 Royal Flight paint scheme.

By the Summer of 1984, the Dominions had been replaced in RAF service by the Jetstream T.4. Most of the Dominion T.3s were sold off to foreign air forces to continue in their role as radar operator training. Both Royal Flight Dominions were purchased through the Defence Equipment Sales Authority for resale, ultimately being operated by British Petroleum until 1990.
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Online Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
Re: BAe 225 Dominion VIP Transport
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 11:19:37 AM »
Nice looking aircraft  :smiley: :smiley:

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 08:30:52 PM »
Clever one Stephen   :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2022, 11:53:17 PM »
Nice . . . and buildable, too . . .   :smiley:

cheers,
Robin.

By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline apophenia

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2022, 04:07:22 AM »
Thanks folks  :D

I had intended to do a Royal Flight Dominie but 'Mog beat me too it ... and in 3D too!

Nice . . . and buildable, too . . .

Cheers Robin. I had 'build-ability' in mind. Could be pricey though.

You'd need at least one Dominie T.1, a Dove, and an HP Jetstream for its engines. The latter could be recycled as a Riley Jetstream conversion. But, a swept-winged Dove would be a real stretch  ;D

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2022, 04:37:33 AM »

If I were to build one, my version would use the Jetstream wings, and I'd Whiff away the Garrett engines . . .   ;)

But, a swept-winged Dove would be a real stretch  ;D

That's where the 'Build a Model in the Style of Ericr' Group Build comes in . . .  ;D

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2022, 05:26:07 AM »

You'd need at least one Dominie T.1, a Dove, and an HP Jetstream for its engines. The latter could be recycled as a Riley Jetstream conversion. But, a swept-winged Dove would be a real stretch  ;D

The thing is, there isn't a Jetstream kit with Astazou emgines Stephen, now M&E Models do a conversion set and, as I discovered, Aeroclub used to do a complete engine conversion too but now only do the nacelle intake and prop. Correction: AModel do a number of them, which surprised me a bit.

I found these in a second-hand Jetstream kit box when I got to look inside. Top pic is what I found, bottom pic is what you get now (or did get)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 05:32:12 AM by kitnut617 »

Online Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2022, 09:38:23 AM »
Thanks folks  :D

I had intended to do a Royal Flight Dominie but 'Mog beat me too it ... and in 3D too!

Sorry!   :-[

I will do my best to match your standard of finish  ;)

Mog
>^-.-^<

Mostly Harmless...............

Offline apophenia

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2022, 04:28:10 AM »
If I were to build one, my version would use the Jetstream wings, and I'd Whiff away the Garrett engines . . .

Robin: Oh, those aren't TPE331s ... they're Blackburn Stratus* direct-drive turboprops  ;)

That's where the 'Build a Model in the Style of Ericr' Group Build comes in . . .

Except Eric would put low-mounted An-225 Mriya wings and engines on his version of the swept-winged Dove and the rest of us would be left there wondering why we didn't think of that!

Robert: I was probably dating myself thinking of the ancient Airfix kit. However, if conversion kits are available, so much the better  :smiley:

As for the newer version of Aeroclub's E018, my goofy high-mounted Astazous might make adapting the vacuform Aeroclub nacelles more trouble than it'd be worth anyway!  :o

Mog: No need to apologize for being quick ... and polystyrene always trumps pixels!

* Weary of paying licence fees to the Société Turbomeca, Blackburn Engines Limited devised its own range of small turbines. Within this new Blackburn group, the Apogee Bn.Ap replaced the Artouste Bn.A and Palouste Bn.Pe while Alto Bn.Ao replaced the A.129 Nimbus Bn.N. The Blackburn Arcus Bn.Ar was a 'growth' version of the Alto. No attempt was ever made to replace the Blackburn-Turbomeca Palas microjet.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2022, 10:55:50 PM »
Stephen, the Astazous are high mounted over the wing anyway, but after your last comments, I had another look at your profile and I see now what you mean.

I call this below a Beagle Turbo Terrier II.  This was using the M&E conversion bits.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 10:59:20 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline apophenia

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2022, 02:06:22 AM »
Stephen, the Astazous are high mounted over the wing anyway, but after your last comments, I had another look at your profile and I see now what you mean....

Robert: Yep, it was either mount 'em extra high or use the Dominion to trim the perimeter grass whilest off duty!

I call this below a Beagle Turbo Terrier II.  This was using the M&E conversion bits.

I remember your Turbo Terrier. Somehow extra cute while looking really mean at the same time ... and suddenly I am reminded of that girl at college  :o