Author Topic: AFV Club SNAKE Demolition Charge Parts WIP  (Read 547 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
AFV Club SNAKE Demolition Charge Parts WIP
« on: February 25, 2024, 09:45:24 AM »
Not a lot to say about this beyond the huge PITA to assemble and poor fit of the parts.  Acquired from a seller on eBay out of curiosity.  Configured the pieces in what I perceived to be for storage and shipment before actual use. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: AFV Club SNAKE Demolition Charge Parts WIP
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 05:35:40 PM »
Well, whatever the issues, you've done a good job of it, Jeff! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 02:12:48 AM »
I agree - it looks good.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 08:52:43 AM »
Thanks for the kind words. 

Dry fitting of the pipe sections was a breeze with the seams appearing to be nearly invisible.  Great expectations that were soon foiled as soon as the liquid cement was applied to join the sections together.  At this point I was committed and found great disappointment upon seeing the closed seams open up before my eyes as the cemented together sections cured and discovered that there was no way to undo what was now a finished assembly.  A good coat of paint should help in obscuring the blemish but yeah, it sucks when the dry-fitting looks  so much better than the finished product. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 04:57:33 AM »
I am huge Churchill fan, but for some reason, this kit is not on my list of must haves.
So good to know where the possible problem areas are, in case one does find a way into my collection.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 07:49:54 AM by Buzzbomb »

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 07:15:54 AM »
 Sorry to hear about the assembly issue- but I can only imagine the challenge of building it deployed... Agree with the others here- it don't look bad at all.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2024, 07:22:03 AM »
Found this - 79th Armoured Div. (Hobart's Funnies).
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/firearmcentral/images/2/26/Churchill_Snake-Carrier.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160410095707

Also have a pic of a Churchill towing a long length off an LCT.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2024, 11:25:44 AM »
Found this - 79th Armoured Div. (Hobart's Funnies).
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/firearmcentral/images/2/26/Churchill_Snake-Carrier.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160410095707

Also have a pic of a Churchill towing a long length off an LCT.
I discovered a similar image of that version of the Churchill SNAKE carrier.  The AFV Club kit parts are sufficient for just eight SNAKE pipes per side of the AFV Club kit, thus a lighter load.  I combined the four sections of eight SNAKE pipes into one stack in order to use the majority of the parts that were provided on the sprues.  No clue as to accuracy but it looks like a load for a truck/trailer which works for me. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 11:27:26 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2024, 09:10:51 PM »
Never even knew that kit existed. Nice progress on the pipes.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2024, 04:59:57 AM »
So, is it a giant bangalore torpedo? The MICLIC's grandfather?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2024, 05:46:29 AM »
So, is it a giant bangalore torpedo? The MICLIC's grandfather?
Pretty much.  Much less "flexibility" than the MCLC.  :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2024, 08:40:39 PM »
Well, being a grandfather myself, I fully understand & appreciate its lack of flexibility. ;) ;D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."