Author Topic: SEPECAT Jaguar  (Read 2332 times)

Offline kengeorge

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
SEPECAT Jaguar
« on: May 14, 2022, 10:42:30 PM »
Hello all,
I would like to ask the question, could the SEPECAT Jaguar be modified to be a practical pure fighter from it's ground attack role? How would it be modified and will it be just internal as in different avionics or what about external changes?
Let the thought process begin...

Ken

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Re: SEPECAT Jaguar
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 11:04:49 PM »
There was an enhancement project to improve it's handling and called the Jaguar ACT.  I've got an Airwaves (IIRC) conversion to make one of my Jaguars like it. I'd have to dig it out from where it's hiding, but I think you have to enlarge the tail plane too.

EDIT: Just to refresh my memory I googled it. It was a Fly-by-Wire demonstrator and made to have unstable flight characteristics,  pilots who flew it were greatly impressed by it's maneuverability. The aircraft still exists and is on display at the RAF Museum. A few years ago it was restored/repainted, but despite loads of photos of it as it was, it got painted different.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 11:29:34 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 01:28:32 AM »
Wouldn't something have to be done about a radar installation?

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 01:54:12 AM »
How about the Japanese version the F-1? Although I believe that was more of a strike aircraft than pure fighter.

Offline kengeorge

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 12:19:23 AM »
So, if add ACT LERX, Mitsubishi F-1 nose section or IAF Jag M type nose with Blue Vixen radar, raise the cockpit up Sea Harrier style for better visibility, avionics for Sparrow or sky flash AAM's and over wing Sidewinders?
Does that sound good?

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 12:51:06 AM »
Any chance of a whole Sea Harrier forward fuselage (cockpit and radar) fitting? The Sea Harrier fuselage looks much more rounded than the squarish section Jaguar, though.
Medium range missiles might depend on what radar nose you use.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 02:13:54 AM »
So, if add ACT LERX, Mitsubishi F-1 nose section or IAF Jag M type nose with Blue Vixen radar, raise the cockpit up Sea Harrier style for better visibility, avionics for Sparrow or sky flash AAM's and over wing Sidewinders?
Does that sound good?

Yup!  go for it   :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: 

Or you could go with a Mirage F.1 forward fuselage.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2022, 03:15:38 AM »
You'd need better, more powerful engines, which require more air which would drive changes
to the intake design, which would drive fuselage changes and so on and so on ...

The narrow, slab-sided fuselage couldn't fit a decent AI radar so you'd either need to redesign
the forward fuselage or accept a smaller diameter dish and a bulged nose.

Realistically by the time you made all the necessary changes you'd basically end up with a
twin-engined Mirage F1.
 ;)

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Kelmola

• Seeking motivation to start buillding the stash
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2022, 04:27:17 PM »
It seems that they did not want to redesign the entire wing, so to get both a larger wing and LERX they ended up with the idea of tacking on absolutely massive LERX (in relation to the size of the wing) which would hopefully have been a minor modification? They "fit" the Jag's otherwise sleek lines so "well" that the development is almost worthy of a honourable Blackburn title.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 01:19:26 AM »
One could adopt some of the mods the Indians have added/looked at such as:

• More powerful, lighter Honeywell F125IN engines
  • EL/M-2052 AESA radar
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2022, 03:12:54 AM »
It seems that they did not want to redesign the entire wing, so to get both a larger wing and LERX they ended up with the idea of tacking on absolutely massive LERX (in relation to the size of the wing) which would hopefully have been a minor modification? They "fit" the Jag's otherwise sleek lines so "well" that the development is almost worthy of a honourable Blackburn title.

It was just a demonstrator, to explore fly-by-wire in an unstable aircraft. I suppose they could have pick any aircraft to use though ---

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2022, 03:16:03 AM »
Couldn't help myself sorry:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kengeorge

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2022, 05:56:09 AM »
I think the Jaguar's character is due to the slab sided design, instead of being all rounded and curvaceous, so I want to try and keep as much of it's 'Jaguarist' look as possible, which can be restricted. Perhaps I could do something as Greg said, and go with new engines and EL/M-2052 AESA radar as an option.
For now my modeling medium is pixel driven, not styrene unfortunately.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2022, 12:23:30 PM »
Jaguar M05 - my version of an updated Jaguar with an Indian 1M nose, the Mitsubishi T2 wing:

Offline kengeorge

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2022, 07:31:44 PM »
Rickshaw, I like that model. I know I'm in danger of slightly drifting off thread here, but why do nearly all the marineized Jags both drawings and models¹ have single main wheels instead of the twin wheels? Also what would be the advantage of swapping the Jag wing for the T2/F1 wing?

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2022, 08:19:12 PM »
Less chance of twisting an axle I'd think when slamming onto the deck, I've got the same idea for my naval Dominie builds that are in the works.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2022, 08:14:06 PM »
Rickshaw, I like that model. I know I'm in danger of slightly drifting off thread here, but why do nearly all the marineized Jags both drawings and models¹ have single main wheels instead of the twin wheels? Also what would be the advantage of swapping the Jag wing for the T2/F1 wing?

Twin wheels spread the load which is useful when operating from rough airfields.  Naval aircraft are deemed to find that unnecessary when operating from a ship's deck.   The main criticism of the original Jaguar wing was that it was a "bit small" in the proposed naval version, so the substitution of the Mitsubishi T2 wing which was approximately 15% larger.   This has all been thought of in the back story for the original model... 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 01:58:20 PM by Rickshaw »

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2022, 09:33:02 PM »

The Mitsubishi F-1 also had wingtip missile rails for SRAAM's, which the Jaguar didn't.

MAD
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 09:44:11 PM by M.A.D »

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2022, 09:43:37 PM »

As did the actual Jaguar M prototype kengeorge

MAD