Author Topic: Revell SnapTite (851766) 1:32nd scale HALO UNSC Warthog  (Read 3327 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Revell SnapTite (851766) 1:32nd scale HALO UNSC Warthog
« on: February 11, 2022, 02:23:11 AM »
Some WIP images of the modification I have made to the floor of the cargo bed in the Revell Warthog.  The kit comes with a battery powered noise-maker gun thing that is absolutely horrible.  I disposed of the the offending devices to a friend of mine for her son and now have to deal with a huge hole in the floor of the cargo bed.  I thought about just dropping in some kind of weapon as a quick solution but decided that I wanted an option that would allow for an unarmed vehicle carrying supplies or other support equipment instead of just making another weaponized 4X4 gun truck.  The Warthog is rather large for the advertised 1/32nd scale and that is mostly due to the included Spartan figures being somewhere near seven feet in height so the vehicle seats reflect this much larger size and the Warthog would not look out of place with 1/24th-1/25th scale models. 

My first two attempts at fixing the hole in the floor did not go so well so I put the kit aside for a day and thought about it some more.  When I returned to the project later I decided that I needed some kind of plastic strips that could be laid down in pieces to create a cover for the hole in the cargo bed.  I had a set/package of HO Scale lumber that was in the stash and this turned out to be the ideal material for a quick floor cover.  Attached images show the cover and the hole that it is to fit over on the kit part plus an image of the HO scale lumber for anyone wanting to source this product, 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
Re: Revell SnapTite (851766) 1:32nd scale HALO UNSC Warthog
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 01:19:00 AM »
Once the glue had cured and the assembly was a bit more rigid I went back and sanded it down to smooth things up.  After washing it and setting it aside to dry I then took up again with the HO scale lumber and separated a few more planks from the stacks and proceeded to build three more of the same cargo bed floor covers with minor improvements being made on the fly as I went along.  All four assemblies have slight variations and with each new iteration the construction process improved quite a bit and the end result was a much faster construction process to finished product.  Letting the new pieces cure for a spell before attacking these too with the sanding sticks to remove the excess features resulted in three new and improved cargo bed floor covers.  I now have an extra that is now available for anyone interested in modifying their own Revell UNSC HALO Warthog to be rid of that infernal noise-maker. 
Attached image of all four cargo bed floor covers (from left to right): 0-Prototype, 1, 2, 3:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 01:21:50 AM »
That's a pretty good save. How's the rest of the kit, detail-wise? Can you put HMMWV seats to make it closer to 1/35?

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 02:21:15 AM »
The new floor is looking good!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 02:31:04 AM »
That's a pretty good save. How's the rest of the kit, detail-wise? Can you put HMMWV seats to make it closer to 1/35?
  Hi Frank - the seats that come in the kit are better suited for use with a 1/24-1/25 scale figure.  The argument being made that the HALO Spartans are all super-sized [would you like fries with that?] human hybrids.  Replacing the kit seats with something more appropriate in size to 1/32-1/35 scale could possibly work but the entire interior is sized to the larger kit seats and I suspect the end result would look like a Hobbit trying to drive a full size vehicle.  Kind of sketchy TBH.  It might be possible to combine 1/35th scale seats and have the benefit of a larger interior space behind the seats for additional gear.  I have not yet crossed that bridge for now.  I am currently just basking in the glory of actually creating something from nothing and getting a positive result (or in this case four successful results).  :smiley:

The new floor is looking good!
After making four of the things I feel pretty good about the whole outcome and with an extra to share makes it all the better for anyone else that wants a Warthog without the silly noise-maker in the back. 

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 03:31:04 AM »
I have fond memories of the original Halo game and the soundtrack is awesome! The Banshee was my favorite, though.

Matt Irvine has a good breakdown of the kit I can see how the interior would be pretty big even for a Spartan.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 03:34:09 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 04:05:45 AM »
I have fond memories of the original Halo game and the soundtrack is awesome! The Banshee was my favorite, though.

Matt Irvine has a good breakdown of the kit I can see how the interior would be pretty big even for a Spartan.

Great review and an excellent image of all of the parts in the kit (no parts runners/spures to deal with).  The size/scale disparity only gets more aggravated when you see images of the Warthog and then compare that with what you get in the kit and all of a sudden your level of fun and enjoyments is immediately reduced by half.  But that being said, it is the only "Affordable" Warthog kit available in a reasonable model scale.  Would be nice to see one of these in 1/48th scale so it would fit in a C-130, CH-53, and V-22. 

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 09:19:44 PM »

I have had the Halo (1, 2 & 3) soundtracks on my iPod for many years. I second Frank's comment.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Silverfox

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 04:02:13 AM »
Great review and an excellent image of all of the parts in the kit (no parts runners/spures to deal with).  The size/scale disparity only gets more aggravated when you see images of the Warthog and then compare that with what you get in the kit and all of a sudden your level of fun and enjoyments is immediately reduced by half.  But that being said, it is the only "Affordable" Warthog kit available in a reasonable model scale.  Would be nice to see one of these in 1/48th scale so it would fit in a C-130, CH-53, and V-22.

I'd love to see them in 1/35th scale so they'd fit in with modern armour kits and accessories too.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2022, 07:54:03 AM »
I'd love to see them in 1/35th scale so they'd fit in with modern armour kits and accessories too.
Yeah, it would be nice if they had approached this in a logical manner and the kit was produced in 1:35th scale but you have to remember you are dealing with corporate monkeys that have no clue and the best they could come up with was to make it 1:32nd scale just like the majority of their other snap-together kits.  With the rise in popularity of 3D printers I suspect that someone will eventually take the leap of faith and do us all a solid by creating a Warthog in 1:35th and other scales that are compatible with most modelers. 

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2022, 03:53:12 AM »
More WIP images of the Revell Warthogs.  This had to be done in order to shore up the bottom of the chassis and underside of the cargo bed.  Without these blanking plates there would be light shining through the bottom of the cargo bed floor.  White plastic from unknown source, definitely not Evergreen card stock.  Black plastic started out as the main landing gear bays from an Italeri AC-130 that I had previously removed all of the surface features and details from several months ago.  Good use of scrap plastic.  The dodgy kit plastic seems to be resistant to solvent based adhesives so I had to use CA glue to secure the pieces in place. 

Offline Ramba

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2022, 05:04:22 AM »
Those fixes to cover the holes from the bottom look good. The wooden cargo bed looks good too. Everything coming along nicely.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2022, 04:47:51 PM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2022, 12:54:06 PM »
The Warthog project has been put on hold until I hear back from Revell Customer Service.  Turns out the clear part (windscreen/windshield) was missing from both kits and that kind of threw a wrench in the gears of progress for the Warthogs.  The alternative is to go to eBay and spend $60.00 + tax (thankfully the shipping is free) to get two more of these space takers just to finish the two original Warthogs.  Yeah,verily, that sucketh greatly.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2022, 01:13:52 PM »
I'm not sure the clear part adds much to the kit. Can you wing it by adding a styrene strip frame where the clear windscreen bends, then use flat plastic for the glass? Or just insert a vertical clear plastic sheet where the rear windshield frame is. It may look more realistic/ less toy-like
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 01:18:36 PM by Frank3k »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2022, 01:30:23 PM »
I'm not sure the clear part adds much to the kit. Can you wing it by adding a styrene strip frame where the clear windscreen bends, then use flat plastic for the glass? Or just insert a vertical clear plastic sheet where the rear windshield frame is.
The frame that holds the clear part in place surrounds that clear part with the vehicle body/dashboard being the second point of contact and the clear part if I remember correctly has a cut out in it for the protrusion on the hood of the Warthog so it is not one solid clear part.  That being said, I was hoping to take the path of least resistance/work to get these damned things finished. 

I suppose another option might be to just dispense with the windscreen and create an SAS or LRDG Warkthog sans windscreen.  I have already removed the locating tabs from the tailgate on the one Warthog and will repeat that modification on the second vehicle once my anger has subsided a bit more towards this Warthog saga.

The Warthog features a very janky looking storage box with three fuel cans attached to the tailgate and adjacent to that storage box is another fuel can.  All of these parts snap on to the vehicle and I took an immediate dislike to the storage box and fuel cans as they are soft on details.  Also, who in their right frame of mind attaches that kind of crap directly to the vehicle tailgate that folds down?  While the tailgate is moulded solid and in the upright position it just looked wrong so away with the offending items and perhaps a more appropriate looking set of 20L/5-Gallon cans will replace the kit parts in another location on the vehicles. 

Revell states that it may take up to ten days to receive a reply so in the interim I will focus on other projects that are currently surrounding me. 

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2022, 01:40:52 PM »
No windscreen would be good - after all, they're wearing armored, vacuum capable suits! If those are fuel cans... why would a civilization capable of interstellar travel use fuel based ground vehicles?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2022, 02:25:49 PM »
No windscreen would be good - after all, they're wearing armored, vacuum capable suits! If those are fuel cans... why would a civilization capable of interstellar travel use fuel based ground vehicles?
I recall reading something about the fuel cans containing water that was used for fuel in the Warthog so it must have been some kind of hybrid electric drive that ran on converting water to energy.  I never gave it much thought until after the Warthog kit became available and found the four fuel cans (all painted red) at the rear of the vehicle. 

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2022, 03:29:18 AM »
A follow-up on the missing clear parts from the Revell Warthog snap-tite kits.   

I now know why I am missing the clear parts from the first four Warthog kits that I acquired several years ago.  The recent delivery of two NIB Revell Warthog kits from an on-line retailer highlights my own ignorance with regards to the kit contents.  Revell packaged the Warthog kit in a series of sealed bags for the majority of the small parts and the larger parts were held in place  on two vacu-formed clear plastic support frames (for lack of a better description).  These two support frames supported the body, chassis, and two additional parts while the rest of the contents were free to roam within the security of the individually sealed bags within the kit box.  One of the support frames has a "pocket" and within this pocket resides the clear windscreen for the Warthog.  Thanks to my poor vision and dodgy lighting conditions I managed to throw out all four of these windscreen parts still secure in the vacu-form clear plastic support frame and not even realize I had missed that important piece of the kit.  Yeah, the ID10T light is shining bright for me today as I type this to clear up any prior accusations that Revell somehow was at fault with quality control issues.  Nope, it was by my own hand that this catastrophe was created.  Knowing this now to be the case it still sucketh greatly that I had to learn this mistake the hard way.  

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2022, 04:02:56 AM »
A follow-up on the missing clear parts from the Revell Warthog snap-tite kits.    Knowing this now to be the case it still sucketh greatly that I had to learn this mistake the hard way. 

Look at the bright side - now you can make four identical replacements for a Warthog subvarient and embiggen the spirit of WhatIffery.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2022, 05:24:26 AM »
A follow-up on the missing clear parts from the Revell Warthog snap-tite kits.    Knowing this now to be the case it still sucketh greatly that I had to learn this mistake the hard way. 

Look at the bright side - now you can make four identical replacements for a Warthog subvarient and embiggen the spirit of WhatIffery.

Thanks for that.  The lemonade is still sour but all four of the new Warthogs will be donating the front running gear to the original quartet to improve the layout and get rid of the independently sprung rear components.