Author Topic: Fallschirmjäger Raupenfahrzeug (Paratroop tracked vehicle)  (Read 2076 times)

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
Fallschirmjäger Raupenfahrzeug (Paratroop tracked vehicle)
« on: October 26, 2021, 09:44:03 AM »
Remembering my childhood in '70s, I found these figures from one of the nicest Tamiya early figures boxes. A pleasure to build and paint. Only one problem: they are clearly undersized; they look to be 1/38 or even 1/40.

You can see the legs posture of one soldier has been changer in order to look seated.

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
Re: Fallschirmjäger Raupenfahrzeug (Paratroop tracked vehicle)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 09:55:27 AM »
An Airfix 1/76 Tiger will be scaleoramed to become a small tractor: very useful for paratroops to carry light to medium loads.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 06:25:10 PM »
Very interesting concept

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 09:38:20 PM »
Very interesting concept

Yep! :smiley:

Tamiya's figures are generally in scale but are worked on about a 175cm (5' 9") (+/- 5cm (2")) height, most modern makers are in the 185-190cm-ish (6' 1"- 6' 3") height range.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 11:41:26 PM »
That's a fantastic rescaling of a 1/76 tank! Almost like the Borgward IV. You could also make all sorts of non-military vehicles as well.

I think the old Tamiya figures are in 1/35 scale... 1/35th the height of the average Japanese modeler in the 1970s.

Online Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 12:21:06 AM »
Not all paratroopers are the same size - suggestion: mix in some different brand figures to accentuate the height disparities.

Here's Oberfeldwebel Otto Thomas of 10. Kompanie, Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 10 (fourth from left) to illustrate my point, posing with his squad during the Italian Campaign in 1944.

Otto Thomas was killed in action on 18th September 1944. He was posthumously awarded the German Cross in Gold in October 1944.

I could easily see this as the Primer Mover or Ammunition Resupply Vehicle for the 105mm recoilless (Mini Art use to make one). Maybe even do it up for the neverwhen drop on Malta.
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/mini-art-studio-ma3502-105-cm-leichtgeschuetz-40--1006795

Online Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 12:26:03 AM »
PS - you know how they had drop-down racks to create the firing platform for this self-propelled 20mm?

Links to what I'm trying to illustrate - please do not try to embed, the host site prevents that.
 https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/dragon/images/dr6525pic3.gif
 https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/dragon/images/dr6525pic4.gif

That'd be a good way to carry cargo too - along each side full-length, lightest weight possible and when dropped to the horizontal, instant racks.