Author Topic: "Old Type 055" class DDG (based on Pr. 63 XN cruiser) - Withdrawn  (Read 1905 times)

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
I've always wanted to revisit the conventional XN version of the Project 63 cruiser (see attachment) since my last botched attempt.

So I shall give it another try.

The Plan:

I want to represent a PLAN version of the design- the vessel in question will be of the same generation as the 052 class destroyers, and its weapons will largely reflect that- H/PJ-33A twin 100mm guns and Type 76A twin 37mm guns.  The then-new YJ-8A anti-ship missile was considered too short-ranged, and a cancelled fleet air-defense variant of the Type 052 class destroyer was to have the HY-1A missile (with a range of 95km v.s. YJ-8A's 40km despite being an older, albeit upgraded design) instead, so this vessel will probably have the HY-1A as well.  The primary anti-aircraft missiles will once again be the S-75M-2 systems (as the fictional HHQ-2 or Hai HongQi-2).

The aft guns will be replaced with a helicopter hangar for a Z-9 or two.

The tall mast for the ship's radars will be a major pain in the neck once again.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 04:52:43 PM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline dy031101

Re: "Old Type 055" class DDG (based on Pr. 63 XN cruiser), D-114 Yan'an
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 03:15:30 PM »
Getting started:

« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 01:00:45 PM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline dy031101

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 01:00:26 PM »

Progressed a little outside of the radar fit.  I expect elements of the 052 (Luhu) class destroyer to be leveraged although I wonder if the aft Type 347G radar (for fire control of the aft 37mm guns) is too close to the HHQ-2 launcher for comfort...... (comments and suggestions welcomed.)

Or I can put a little more distance by moving the helicopter facility all the way back.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 11:43:31 AM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 11:53:12 AM »

Halfway through last week I found out that the parts sheet for the S-75M-2 was incorrectly-proportioned and therefore its illustration for the launcher's magazine would never fit.  So I had to re-draw my interpretation of it.  The missile icons above the launchers could be exaggerated for details, so I kept them.

Both launchers are facing forward.  I realized that the Soviet cruiser Dzerzhinsky, the only ship armed with the system in real-life, tended to be photographed with its aft-mounted missile launcher facing forward.  I'm guessing it may be because the launcher's magazines might be located behind the launcher itself despite there being no photographs of the ship AFAIK taken in any manner that allows me to see the installation for certain......
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 02:57:42 PM by dy031101 »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 04:49:26 AM »
Starting to come along with the details.

So two turrets forward then ?

Offline dy031101

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 10:46:37 AM »
So two turrets forward then ?

The original Project 63-XN plan has two twin 100mm or 130mm guns forward (the aft guns are already replaced with a helicopter facility and two H/PJ-76A turrets in this entry).  These are flak guns when used against aerial targets and already no good as CIWS in the 80s, so the second 100mm gun would be replaced with another two H/PJ-76A twin 37mm guns.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 03:40:10 PM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

Re: "Old Type 055" class DDG (based on Pr. 63 XN cruiser) - Withdrawn
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 04:52:19 PM »

I was hoping to finish it during my vacation two week ago...... let's just say that certain people in my family have other ideas.

I had no idea when the family drama would end, so I didn't ask for extension.  Conflicts subsided last weekend.

I tried to draw the mast just for experiment last night despite being unsure how it might look.  I really should have just done it before the drama crap, as the rough form didn't look as disastrous as I thought it might.

At least, however, this means that I will be able to continue despite not making the deadline for the GB unlike my previous attempt.  Further progress will be posted in my mental notes thread.

I wish the other participants fun.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 05:28:31 PM by dy031101 »