Author Topic: HMAS Sydney (town class light cruiser 1912)  (Read 7243 times)

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
HMAS Sydney (town class light cruiser 1912)
« on: August 05, 2018, 04:45:27 PM »
While Bellerophon awaits the arrival of some new paint I've returned to my HMAS Sydney. 

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 04:57:15 PM by Camthalion »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: HMAS Sydney
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 04:53:25 AM »
Most excellent and quite the accomplishment in such an apparently small scale!

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 09:17:16 AM »
Nice! :smiley:

I'd like a HMAS Sydney (I) in 1/350, then I'd buy a SMS Emden & do a little Christmas Island/North Keeling diorama (it bugs me that there are Emden kits in 1/350 available but no Sydney kits).
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Camthalion

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 10:40:26 AM »

I'd like a HMAS Sydney (I) in 1/350, then I'd buy a SMS Emden & do a little Christmas Island/North Keeling diorama (it bugs me that there are Emden kits in 1/350 available but no Sydney kits).

Yeah never understood it myself.  I was going to do a dio myself with Emden, but decided I wanted a version of each Sydney by themselves

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 07:17:22 PM »

Yeah never understood it myself.  I was going to do a dio myself with Emden, but decided I wanted a version of each Sydney by themselves

I recommend Dutch Fleet Naval Miniatures on Shapeways for the last two HMAS Sydneys (FFG7 and F100) https://www.shapeways.com/shops/dutchfleet?section=Australia&s=0

Offline Camthalion

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 01:14:41 PM »

I recommend Dutch Fleet Naval Miniatures on Shapeways for the last two HMAS Sydneys (FFG7 and F100) https://www.shapeways.com/shops/dutchfleet?section=Australia&s=0

Thanks for the heads up.  For Sydney IV i recently picked up the dragon version.

Offline Camthalion

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 01:44:37 PM »
That was clever went to edit a spelling error and deleted the post. 

Anyway, here it is again, the current state of my HMAS Sydney collection.  The carrier arrived today.  really need to get back to work on them.

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 06:14:30 PM »
Where's the carrier from?

Offline Camthalion

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 06:49:26 PM »
 L'Arsenal.  I got Glory so it came with the right aircraft.  some mods and it should look like Sydney in the Korean war i hope

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 07:32:14 PM »
L'Arsenal.  I got Glory so it came with the right aircraft.  some mods and it should look like Sydney in the Korean war i hope

Cool, not cheap though.

Offline ScranJ51

• Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 04:40:56 PM »

Could not the different scales work FOR you?

The larger vessel closer with the smaller further away giving the impression of range?

I once saw a dio made by a guy here in OZ - he was doing a paratroop drop, and had 1/48th, 1/72nd and 1/144th C-47 aircraft included - was amazing - just forgot to take a picture of it!!!!
Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 09:13:07 PM »
I have a thing for 1/350 ships, don't ask me why - I have no idea, but 1/700 would be so-o much cheaper! :-\
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Camthalion

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 10:45:03 AM »
I have a thing for 1/350 ships, don't ask me why - I have no idea, but 1/700 would be so-o much cheaper! :-\

yep.  that's my reason for getting back into ships in the smaller scale

Offline Camthalion

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 08:44:48 PM »
The rest of this week will be spent finishing off a couple of entries for our local model show on the 2nd Feb.  Crossing my fingers this will include the WW1 Sydney.   Then I hope to start on my RAN Korean war ships. Have got a heap of replacement AA guns and managed to find a Dragonfly helicopter to start turning Glory into Sydney. Plus got hold of some PE and aftermarket guns to start work on turning Huron into Bataan.

Offline Camthalion

Re: HMAS Sydney (town class light cruiser 1912)
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 05:00:00 PM »
HMAS Sydney (I)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 09:42:01 PM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2019, 04:34:51 AM »
That's incredibly well done and the rigging is amazing!

Brian da Basher

Offline Camthalion

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2019, 02:24:52 PM »
Thanks Fellas.    Rather pleased with the result

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2019, 03:14:48 PM »
Other than a few kits, navy ship models of late 19th early 20th century were for decades ignored by model companies (US market anyway).  Glad to see them showing up during recent years.
Enjoyed careful study of build details which you obviously paid much attention to.  Like how deck contrasts realistically with superstructure, boats, guns, and fittings.  Doing the rigging with its many attachment points to deck and masts is an UGH job, though must say you got it.  The more one (a model builder) looks the more one sees lotta work done with fine results.  :smiley:  :smiley:  :smiley:
Considering starting ship kitbash so paying more attention to ships. 
Get flashback of 4-stacker destroyers.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 04:14:58 PM by finsrin »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2019, 04:13:22 PM »
Nicely done! :smiley: :smiley: