Author Topic: ☆☆☆ We all Live in a Yellow Supermarine! ☆☆☆  (Read 18878 times)

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
Re: ☆☆☆ We all Live in a Yellow Supermarine! ☆☆☆
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2019, 08:08:21 PM »
Thinks: needs some ballast tanks too

...... To the drop tanks box !

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Robomog

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2019, 04:46:33 AM »
Hi all

Well I've broken the back of the PSR,  it still needs a bit of finishing but I will do that once the body is stuck together and the conning tower in place as I'm going to have to fair that into the main body,  I'm not going to do much internal detail.

Currently I am marking up the port holes and the glass bottom section, the port holes I hope to glaze with Clearfix. 

The viewing window will be a plastic frame with acetate glazing I'm hoping to assemble this separately and fit it later when the final painting is complete. I see problems with this as I have to work it to the curve of the main body.

Still sourcing the ballast tanks and dive planes.

Here are the main components taped together...........

by Robomog, on Flickr

One side of the rudder snapped off while sanding, I'll stick that back on when I join the body parts.  I've placed the pilots canopy in position it looks like its gonna  need a whole lot of levelling

And a view of the underneath........

by Robomog, on Flickr

You can see the other reason for not quite finishing the PSR, a wide gap has appeared at the join so I will need to deal with this when the sides come together so another PSR session is in the offing.

More when it happens.........

Thanks for looking

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2019, 07:13:42 AM »
That mock-up looks great, Mog and I'm sure you'll soar over any obstacles just like a Spit gaining altitude.

I noticed some Model Color paint on your bench. I tried the stuff and was disappointed (why is Model Masters disappearing?). Do you have any brush-painting tips that might help?

Thanks for the update, I always enjoy your posts!

Brian da Basher

Offline Robomog

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2019, 03:54:12 PM »
Thanks Brian

After all the hype about Valajo Model Colour paints I was quite disappointed, perhaps it's probably  more popular with people who spray paint.  To me it was no different to Tamiya except the finish was more matt.  So only advice here is to thin it at roughly one part water to five parts paint which gives a reasonable finish.

I was however impressed with the MIG Ammo paints, on the one i have used I found i could paint this without mixing, it was quite thin and required four coats but the finish was good.

Hope this helps

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 08:55:01 PM by Robomog »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2019, 08:59:02 AM »
Many thanks for the tip on those Mig Ammo paints, Mog. Will definitely keep those in mind next time I re-stock.

Brian da Basher

Offline Robomog

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2019, 07:12:47 AM »
Hi all

I'm coming to the conclusion that I really really should have done more pre planning on this one, but then again most of the fun I get out of these sort of projects is by having an idea and then totally  winging it for the rest of the build, so I can only blame my impulsive self.

Regardless, I have made some more progress. The holes for the port holes have now been drilled and those in the conning tower have been glazed with Clearfix. The roof of the conning tower has been glued in position and some internal bracing attached, work has started on the periscopes.

The opening for the glass bottom has been cut and the whole interior has been given a coat of white paint, prior to glazing.

In the meantime I have successfully sourced the ballast tanks from old drop tanks, also the dive planes fore and aft which ironically look like they are ex spitfire bits of a different scale again.

I've also found a pair of propellers which appear a little to big so my sub may have just a single prop instead of two as originally planned. One or two what are your views ?

by Robomog, on Flickr

As soon as the remaining portholes are glazed I can start thinking of assembling the main components.

I still have to decide what to do with the bow, I want to put a glazed dome there but my spares box has not provided a suitable piece. I may try and form one with acetate or sweep the existing curves to a rounded point or search light point, time will tell.

So that's the story so far, more when it happens.......

Thanks for looking.

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2019, 08:26:00 AM »
Wow it's really starting to take shape, Mog!

I like those port holes and the props look great too. Hard to say about using just one or both. I prefer going with both, but I think your choice may depend on how close to the original you want to get.

I'd be searching through my collection of clear blister pack for that piece on the nose. Maybe a 1/72 gun turret if you've got one rattling around?

I couldn't agree more about part of the fun being winging it. Sometimes I'm surprised at what I come up with and I've had builds take a new turn because I'm figuring it out on the fly.

Thanks for a great update. I'm enjoying following along with you!

Brian da Basher

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2019, 08:33:56 AM »
I'm coming to the conclusion that I really really should have done more pre planning on this one, but then again most of the fun I get out of these sort of projects is by having an idea and then totally  winging it for the rest of the build, so I can only blame my impulsive self.

Well worded statement.  I should print, frame, and hang on wall.  Applies to models and 1/1 car projects.
Certainly taking a different form vrs a Spitrfire.  Fine job and results wading thru heavy PSR process.  Last picture with laid out parts really helps visualizing.
Wish you skill and luck conquering mods.

Offline Robomog

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2019, 06:46:06 AM »
Thanks for the comment guys,

I have decided to go with both props they will each be mounted in a sort of pod as close to the body and themselves as I can get.

I'm not intending to get close to the original it's already too long and thin for that, however there will be a few nods to the original so twin props it is.

Think of it as "a" yellow Submarine rather than "the" yellow Submarine.

"Full speed ahead Mr. Boatswain, full speed ahead".........

More when it happens.

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 03:26:29 PM by Robomog »

Offline Robomog

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2019, 07:20:56 AM »
Hi all

Made a little bit more progress, I have been slowed down  building up the piloting position to get the canopy level. I need to get this sorted in order to work out the position of the captains seat.

In the mean time I have started construction of the propellers and will work on the conning tower and periscopes, I have also started prepping the dive planes but these won't be attached until the hull is closed up and the second wave of PSR is completed.

Here are  the propeller pods under construction using the ends of good old drop tanks and some plastic card.

by Robomog, on Flickr

I have decided to have a clear dome in the bow but still haven't found a suitable piece for it. Maybe time to brush up on my smash forming skills also I will need to put in some bulkheads and a bit more internal detail than I intended. Otherwise you will be able to see the full length of the inside of the Submarine, not a pretty sight.

Thanks for looking..............

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2019, 09:23:10 AM »
Those props & pods look every bit the business there Mog!

Great to see yet more progress. Off to queue up the Beatles now...

Brian da Basher

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2019, 10:49:55 AM »
Looking good there.  For the dome, consider some of those clear plastic balls that hold cheap toys in gumball-style vending machines.

Offline Robomog

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2019, 11:03:26 AM »
Thats a good idea! 

Will be out and about tomorrow, I will keep an eye out for said machines

Thx

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Robomog

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2019, 04:59:06 AM »
Hi all

Managed to get some unprecedented time at the workbench this weekend, I said earlier that I was not going to detail the inside, I sorta lied, after putting the sides together for the umpteenth time I realised that the views through the front and the glass bottom were not very pretty and set about putting in a few bulkheads then one thing led to another and this happened.

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

So this is what the finished inside will look like....

by Robomog, on Flickr

20190319_145843 by Robomog, on Flickr

Also made more progress on the periscopes and propellers........

by Robomog, on Flickr

Still haven't found anything for the dome at the front, a trip into town came up with zilch, lots of correct shapes but none in clear plastic

My search continues..........

thanks for looking.

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 06:37:49 AM by Robomog »

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2019, 07:29:16 AM »
I like how you've got Ringo driving it!

Just like how a drummer drives a band....hmmm.....

Love the 'scopes & props too!

Brian da Basher

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2019, 09:57:41 AM »
Yes, well done!!  8)

Offline Robomog

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2019, 06:41:19 PM »
Hi all

Just a quick update, passed the first milestone, the hull is now back together and the second phase of the PSR has commenced.

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

I have also installed the ballast tanks, and made a start on the rudder

by Robomog, on Flickr

more when it happens...…

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2019, 03:36:22 AM »
That's a fine update and I'm really enjoying watching it take shape!

Mighty fine PSR work. You've got the touch, Mog!

Brian da Basher

Offline Robomog

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2019, 09:16:00 PM »
Thanks Brian, much appreciated

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Robomog

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2019, 05:09:00 AM »
Hi all

Made some progress but not before I had a bit of a setback.

I've been banging on about how brittle the plastic is on this model but I've also found out that at the extremities the plastic seems to be degrading and has taken on a waxy feel the result of which I cant get a strong bond between the new and and old plastic surfaces (or old and old for that matter !).

The first I knew of this was when I was tidying up the tail PSR, a horizontal crack appeared in the filler due to the underlying plastic joint parting, Also the rudder top extension kept breaking away when filing to shape.

After several attempts to join these bits and failing I desperately turned to applying what could only be described as a polystyrene plaster consisting of a strip of ten thou plastic card bedded on home made polystyrene putty, also stuck the rudder extension on with poly putty and crossed my fingers for twenty four hours.

by Robomog, on Flickr

It worked, the patch stayed solid as I sanded it to shape and the rudder extension stayed attached.............phew !

With that hurdle overcome the next elements came together in quick succession.

The conning tower was attached and contoured to the hull.........

by Robomog, on Flickr

And the dive planes were attached............

by Robomog, on Flickr

Followed by the propellor pods and rudder........

by Robomog, on Flickr

And finally the portholes have been glazed using Clearfix..........

by Robomog, on Flickr

Although it is not completely obvious in this picture  ::)

I am still working on the  bow glass and the glass bottom,  but now the yellow supermarine is entering the spray booth.............

More as it happens.

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 08:36:05 PM by Robomog »

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2019, 10:50:44 AM »
That's looking really good! I have most of the parts for such a craft laying around, makes me want to try it!

For the clear parts you need have you considered the "heat and mash" method? Carve out the shape you need from balsa or such, heat clear polystyrene in an oven until it sags and mash it over the mold. I found it works best if the mold is attached to a stick and the stick clamped in a vice or to a workbench. This leaves you two hands to manipulate the hot plastic sheet. Wear thick gloves for that part of course. A hot blow dryer works too.

Offline Robomog

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2019, 04:12:17 PM »
Thanks Kerick, this is my backstop, I have acquired some objects with the rough shape I want to use

But no panic (yet!) as it will be the last component to be stuck on

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 08:28:01 PM by Robomog »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2019, 02:33:24 AM »
Looking good
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2019, 03:58:03 AM »
That's one phenomenal save with the plastic situation there Mog! That's an issue I had derail more than one project over the years.

This is looking outstanding with those cool bow planes and the conning tower on!

Thanks for another fantastic update!

Brian da Basher

Offline Robomog

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2019, 02:15:52 PM »
Thanks guys,  more updates soon

Mog
>^-.-^<