Author Topic: Commonwealth CA-19 Wirga trainer x3  (Read 2863 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
Commonwealth CA-19 Wirga trainer x3
« on: July 11, 2016, 05:28:33 AM »
Hi all,
The graphically- and wordically-gifted Apophenia shared his history of the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation CA-14 Wallaby series of fighters over in the Stories subforum. Tucked in the tail end are two posts about the CA-19 Wirga trainer, derived from the successful Wallaby fighter. I felt rather inspired by this subtype as I quite enjoy trainers, and they are more aesthetically appealing to me than the fighter (no offence intended, Apo).

To build a Wirga you basically need a Harvard/Texan/T-6 fuse and tail and a FW190 wing and gear. Lucky for me I knew I had two of each, plus a T-28 to donate its canopy for the late version:

After some hacking and slashing while listening to a Dungeons & Dragons podcast (no, really - if you're after a laugh look up "D&D Is For Nerds), I ended up with this likely-looking pair. Actually...isn't that another Harvard and a FW190D-9 lurking in the bakground?:

So now there are three Wirgas when I started the weekend with none. In the foreground is a T.Mk.IV, serial yet to be determined. In the background you can see the subtly re-engined target tug-to-be. I have some suitable decals winging their way to me for all three, and I think I have all the necessary landing gear components.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Commonwealth CA-19 Wirga trainer x3
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 06:44:13 AM »
What a fantastic concept and I really like how you've taken it and run with it, Zac!

It's amazing how well things that aren't supposed to go together can work.

I'm really looking forward to seeing these progress. You're off to a fantastic start!

Brian da Basher

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 08:16:42 AM »
Different :) Can't wait to see the end result ;)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 12:16:56 PM »
You've made my day, 'Zac  :D  What a fantastic start!  :)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline ScranJ51

• Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 01:03:04 PM »
Great work!!!
Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 07:06:04 AM »
Sorry for the lack of updates. A larger CAC product landed at work so the Wirgas are now on the backburner in favour of a 1/48 Woomera.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates