Author Topic: Easter Egg Plane  (Read 9016 times)

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
Easter Egg Plane
« on: April 09, 2012, 07:24:23 AM »
Here's what I've been trying to complete this week:

It's the little known entrant in the 1940 Cleveland Air Races, an Ukrainian Easter Egg Plane.

Alvis 3.1

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Easter Egg Plane
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 07:26:03 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 08:01:43 AM »
Nice work Al!  Did you also paint the female figure?  Now if it would only separate in half to reveal a smaller plane inside that in turn would be opened to reveal yet another smaller plane inside of that one and that plane in turn... ;)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 08:11:53 AM »
Wow!!
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Alvis 3.1

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 09:11:58 AM »
The figure is from the MB models 1/32 (or 1/35, I forget) pilot figures set. She's actually Lydia Litvyak, Soviet ace, repainted as a Ukrainian racing pilot.

Alvis 3.1

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 11:19:56 AM »
That is stunning ... and fricking hilarious. And Lydia got a cone out of the deal  ;D
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 11:47:10 AM »
That is stunning ... and fricking hilarious. And Lydia got a cone out of the deal  ;D

Well said.
Does pose challenges regarding pilot visibility.

Offline Alvis 3.1

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 12:43:56 PM »
Forward visibility would be nada. It would likely be ok in pylon racing, where you could see around the corners, but your timing on making the turns would have to be pretty accurate! Barrel rolls would likely be the nrm in forward flight, just to have a slight clue what was in front of you. Perhaps a periscope might have been well advised...

Alvis 3.1

Offline Lensfire

• I'm nuts. And proud of it!
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 10:40:39 PM »
Assuming the entire body is engine (and perhaps fuel) the possible speed that could be obtained might be extraordinary (apart from the wind resistance from the girth of the plane).
Modelling what ought to be, not what is.

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 10:48:08 PM »
Nobody does different better than you sir!  :-*
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 05:14:40 AM »
Alvis, you are an absolute, possibly mad-as-a-hatter genius!

In my town, some folks have the tradition of psankie (sp?) eggs. It took some kind of amazing imagination to turn one of those eggs into a GeeBee racer!

Brian da Basher

Offline Alvis 3.1

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 09:56:21 AM »
Here's the thought process:
10 days ago, I had an idea to build an Egg Plane for Easter. Use a Hasegawa kit? Pshaw! Anyone can build a kit, let's go nuts! Besides, this idea came to me in a dream where I dreamt somebody did it an article on ARC...and it wasn't me!

First, what to use as an egg? Ha! I'll use the "Ferrero Roche" Easter Egg. It's clear and is a nice hard styrene, but is fairly thin, so if it needs cutting, it's easy to do.

Now, what plane to do? Hmm, a C-119 might work...nah, too hard! Yanno, I've always wanted to do the Hasegawa MiG-15 as an Easter eggg...let's do that, but bigger...hmmm...maybe, oh, a GB racer?

Hack chop and slice the Lindberg GeeBee kit (It's 1/32, and frankly, totally sucks! Nothing fits. It's flashy, detail sucks, transparencies are awful, in other words, this is the best possible use for it!) Attach and apply copious amounts of putty. Sand, and repeat. Sand, and repeat.

At this point, carpal tunnel syndrome kicked in, and I stopped taking pictures. Three coats of primer, one of flat white, and two coats of Tamiya Racing white, the red areas were masked off and painted Italian Red from Tamiya spraycans, then decals were made up to reflect the rest of the Pysanky design.
And then I dropped it. Argh...but it only cracked along the wingroots. My wife helpfully said "It's an egg, eggs crack!" I agreed, and finished it off.

Alvis 3.1

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:03:55 AM by Alvis 3.1 »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 10:21:27 AM »
Is way out there in brillant-bizarre-creative zone with high quaility model building stirred into the mix.   :-* :-* :-*
Bill

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 05:19:30 PM »
Simply logical...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 01:18:05 AM »
That could have been Wonder Woman's egg plane if you could have found a transparent GB  ;D
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline Jacques Deguerre

• Older and fatter but not wiser.
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 02:13:45 AM »
Great time to post this since "western" Easter and "eastern" (Orthodox) Easter are only a week apart. As always, some wonderfully inspired and well modeled madness!

Offline Alvis 3.1

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 09:52:02 AM »
Here's the story:

The 1940 Cleveland Air Races, truly an epic event in airplane racing. While there had been rumblings of war in Europe in 1938, a series of strange accidents took out all the key players behind the push to war, and things reverted to their normal routine in short order. One unexpected turn was the sudden arrival of European entrants into the American Air Race circuit. It almost seemd that without a shooting war to prove their superiority, countries took up air racing as a less destructive pasttime. Whatever the reason, we were graced with some amazing, strange and weird planes for the 1940 race.

The strangely weird yet almost elegant entrant from the Ukrainian Republic was the Guba-Belenko Yaytse. Based on the GB Racer family, it sported an enormous Shvetzov 8 row radial engine, of approximately 3500 HP, in a streamlined fuselage. The wings and empennage were almost direct copies from the GBs, something denied by the chief designers at Guba-Belenko. The design was maximised for acceleration and speed, at the expense of visibility and maneuvering.

The upcoming young female pilot, Lydia Litvyak, was loaned by the Russian Racing Team to the Ukrainian team, as she was small enough to fit in the amazingly small cockpit. Every available space in the plane had been crammed with fuel to feed the very hungry engine, and the resultingly small cockpit precluded most male pilots. She set several straight line records in Europe before arriving in the US for the Cleveland race.

Crowds were amazed to see the unique paint scheme for the GB-Y racer. Based on traditional Pysankies, or Ukrainian Easter Eggs, it was both delicate yet detailed. Lydia Litvyak wore a traditional costume, although she flew in the male garb, but often wore the female dress at social events and the post race awards ceremony. The GB-Y was assigned#11 for the race.

The race itself, as we all know, was one of the most carnage-filled races in the Golden Era. British and French pilots squared off against the Italian and Germans, almost as if they'd been waiting to have the fight denied them 2 years earlier. While the American and Brazilian pilots frantically dodged the melee, the Europeans rammed and clipped wings left and right, until there were few planes left in the air. And coming up the middle of it all, in her flying egg, Lydia Litvyak tore through it like a hot knife through butter. Barrel-rolling to be able to see in front of her, she expertly judged the turns by looking out her side windows, then turning when the pylon was likely in the right position. Nobody was able to hit her in the air, as she was constantly jinking and weaving just to maintain forward visibility. Her straight line acceleration was phenominal, and the massive fuselage drag slowed her abruptly for the turns. Nobody could keep up with her, although John Thatch in the Grumman entry gave her a run for her money with his weaving style of flying.

In the end, Litvyak came in first, followed by Thatch, and Britains' Douglas Bader. After the awards ceremony, several fistfights had to be broken up between disgruntled pilots whose planes had been knocked out of the running. The winning plane, the GB-Y, is still preserved in Kiev at the National Racing Museum.

Alvis 3.1

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 01:14:56 PM »
Congratulations for this marvelous model, Alvis :-*