Author Topic: Lockdown Build Number 13-Real World P-47  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Aeroplanedriver

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Lockdown Build Number 13-Real World P-47
« on: June 04, 2020, 02:50:03 PM »
Here's my latest effort...number 13 of my lockdown building spree. 

It's Tamiya's P-47M, built OOB with the only addition being Eduard fabric seat belts.  P-47s are a favorite of mine, but I have to confess to it not being my favorite build by a long shot.  The kit itself is great, typical recent Tamiya quality.  The kit has all the various parts to build just about any bubble top P-47 and I considered a D with a more typical paint scheme, but decided to go with the M and do the more unusual scheme they wore with the 56th Fighter Group in the last weeks of the war in Europe.  It's an interesting scheme to research and you can go and find pretty contentious discussions on other boards about what the top color should be. 

The most reasonable argument seemed to be for  RAF Night Black, since it has the slightly bluish tint the 56th aircraft were said to have and the USAAAF bought a lot of it from the UK late in the war.  So I used Hataka Night Black, and sure enough it is a strange color that can be described as black, blueish black, or even extremely dark purple depending on the lighting.  Weathering is pretty minimal since they didn't fly in combat very long.  Basically some chipping with a silver pencil and some oil leaks and streaking underneath.   Final finish is Tamiya semi-gloss since they were apparently kept pretty shiny for the few extra knots that would gain. 

Looking at it finished it's different and I'm sure it'll grow on me but I'm wishing I'd done a D instead.  Oh well...it's done now so I can move on to the next one.  My building pace may slow in the next few weeks...I was officially sent my training notification for the A320 today.  Still no date assigned but I have my online training materials to start work on, which has to be done before I go to ground school.  Seems real life is going to start interfering again. 

Anyhoo...here she is...

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
Re: Lockdown Build Number 13-Real World P-47
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 03:15:00 PM »
What scale ?
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Aeroplanedriver

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 03:22:06 PM »
1/48

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 11:40:03 PM »
Nice!  Definitely one of the most out of the ordinary Thunderbolt paint schemes and you did it up right!  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 03:23:12 AM »
That looks very good Nick  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 04:45:31 AM »
Wow! That makes for one dramatic scheme! Very nice  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it